Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I've been a big fan of Cliff Bars as trail food when I spend the day in the mountains. Nothing else I've tried had the staying power of them. Most trail bars that I've tried don't provide enough calores and tend to have alot of sugar. Which means you can get an insulin spike and not much sustaining energy.
But now I've found something else. For me, I'll use these new ones because I've developed a sensitivity to soy products. Otherwise I'd still be eating them.
They are the Off The Farm trailbars. They come in three different flavors and they provide about 220 calores each. They even taste better the Cliff Bars. The bad news is they are expensive, about $27 per dozen......
BTW, I don't get an insulin spike that other trail bars give me when I eat Nature Valley Fruit & Nut Bars. Might be because they use High Maltose Corn Syrup as their sugar source. I understand this is true of some of such corn syrup products. E

BP-B2

F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Where can you find them?

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I could find a "true" energy bar. Cliff bars just don't quite get it for me. I still eat them, but don't particularly "like" them. They also seem heavy for backpacking. Grab two a day for four days and you have some significant weight there. On a cold morning you can't even bite them unless you put it in your pocket for a while first, or your bag and I already sleep with my IsoButane canister!

Go to a typical outdoor store and the selection of "energy" bars is overwhelming. I wouldn't know where to start.

I use the GU gels, which are fine for energy but it's not like actually eating a snack.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clif is building a huge factory here so its probably all we'll see on the shelves when it opens.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've started making my own based on this recipe:

http://honest-food.net/2014/01/02/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/

I'm sure they don't weigh less, and I know they probably cost the same or more than other options, but I like the taste and having the option of altering the ingredients as I choose. Mine end up saltier than sweet.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by snubbie

Go to a typical outdoor store and the selection of "energy" bars is overwhelming. I wouldn't know where to start.

Grab one of everything, and eat them for lunch/etc. (Preferably when you are within 50 yards of a toilet). It is really nice to learn that something doesn't work for you while you are in civilization. Take notes.

Do the same at walmart. (I mean buy a bunch of bars, not try a bunch of bars and use their toilet).

In any case, I much prefer to have a variety, rather than a whole case of one kind of thing.

I pretty much hate cliff bars. Something about them tastes like chemicals to me. I end up with a mix of nature valley (rock hard "crunchy" bars and the other ones), Kind bars, superfood "meal" bars (ha!), snickers, protein bars, a couple power bars, etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a big fan of "Balance Bars." They are not overly sweet and have a fair amount of protein. I can eat one to replace a meal. They hold me over very well and I don't get a sugar rush. They are not lightweight, but for a quick meal on the run, they are about the best I have tried. All of the others, including Cliff Bars, are too sweet for my taste.

B
B
While making bars at home from hand picked ingredients is the best option, albeit, the most labor intensive option as well, Pro Bar has some good products out there. A "meal replacement" bar with 350+ calories, a protein bar and an energy bar. Some of the marketing states organic, whole grain, etc., etc. Gets high marks and good reviews from lots of Amazon customers.

I suppose just another option to store bought bars but seems better than the ones filled with sugar and no substance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1 on Probars. Take a little foil packet of almond butter to spread on them and you have a 600 calorie package the size of a hockey puck.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The average person will burn over 500 calories per hour carrying a pack while hiking the hills. A bar with only around 220 doesn't cut it.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
That's true but it doesn't tell the whole story. And that is the fact that most of us carry plenty of fat to help us deal with that level of activity. One pound of fat has about 3500 calores.
So what you need is to keep your blood sugar level up and slow down to allow you to breath well enough to use those fat reserves.
I plan about three of the above bars plus some Nature Valley bars for a day in the mountains. That's about 660 calores from the Off the Farm Bars and another 400 or so from the NV bars. That, with the meals I eat in camp or at home, I get by well enough. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Fat burn is for when one goes into survival mode and you will be weakened in the process. It is not for immediate energy needs during a hard hunt.

You can reduce your amount of fat with a long term diet and exercise program, but relying on body fat to get you thru a hard day will leave you drained.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by battue
The average person will burn over 500 calories per hour carrying a pack while hiking the hills. A bar with only around 220 doesn't cut it.

I kind of settled on 5-6 bars a day, with overflow coming from a couple 3/4lb bags of jerkey and a ziplock of trail mix for lunch (everything between breakfast and dinner). 3 packets of instant oatmeal for breakfast, and a Mountain House for dinner. I still lost 14 lbs this year sheep hunting, but haven't found a way around that yet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Working like you are, you practically can't eat too much and a couple bars, regular meals and fat stores wouldn't allow you to do what you do. You need energy right now and you have to eat it to get it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by snubbie

Grab one of everything, and eat them for lunch/etc. (Preferably when you are within 50 yards of a toilet).

Do the same at walmart. (I mean buy a bunch of bars, not try a bunch of bars and use their toilet).

I hope never to have to use a Walmart toilet.

Frankly, I rarely ever eat anything that is a gutbomb and causes that reaction in me, at least not that quickly. I did try Fiber One bars once. Man, I could have filled the Hindenburg with the gas.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agreed. I took nut packs from costco at 330 calories a pack. Also some pemmican bars at 440 a bar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snickers or Reece's Peanutbutter Cups are my energy bars wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/26/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
No, Battue. That's not what I said. I said one's fat stores help with added calores as to how many calores one burns in a day. I've also stated, several times, that consumption or use of fat for energy depends on sufficent oxygen and the presence of glucose, blood sugar, in one's body. The body burns fat all of the time, not just when one is in "survival mode."
"Survival mode" that you describe sounds alot like starvation posture. That occurs when the body runs out of glucose and has to consume one's muscle tissue after converting it to glucose.
Odviously that needs to be avoided. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I make my own. Not sure the amounts, but here's what's in them:

Oatmeal (maybe around 2 cups)
Chia seeds
Apple Sauce
Dried Cranberries
Dried Apricots
Walnuts
Scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder
Coconut oil (about 1/4 cup; warm it until its liquid)
cinnamon and/or nutmeg if the mood strikes

I grind the dry and dried ingredients in a blender. Dump it all in a bowl and add the coconut oil. Then add applesauce and mix by hand until it holds it's own shape. Put in a muffin tin and bake at 350. My wife calls them "power pucks"

One of these and a smoothie will hold you until lunch. Not that you'll have a smoothie while hunting, but you get the point. Cheap to make too....

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That'll make a turd!!!.......sounds good, I may have to try that recipe.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
629 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.