Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 700LH
Why not, any valid reason not to?

No, just wondering about the perception.
I say if you guys can have them, then all Citizens should be able to have them. laugh

Why is a suppressor considered "military"? (from the thread title)

That there even is ANY REGULATION on suppressors of any sort for anybody hits me as being uber stupid... mad

The fact that they are included in any sort of gun control regulation is provenance that congress is too ignorant about guns to enact any sort of law about them. Period.

Even countries that have the most severe gun in the world have no restrictions on suppressors. They even encourage use of them, for the obvious benefits.

Whether they are police, or anyone else should make no difference either.

The only thing that makes any sense at this point concerning suppressors, is deregulation of them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't realize .223 made so much noise.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 700LH
Why not, any valid reason not to?

No, just wondering about the perception.
I say if you guys can have them, then all Citizens should be able to have them. laugh

Why is a suppressor considered "military"? (from the thread title)

That there even is ANY REGULATION on suppressors of any sort for anybody hits me as being uber stupid... mad

The fact that they are included in any sort of gun control regulation is provenance that congress is too ignorant about guns to enact any sort of law about them. Period.

Even countries that have the most severe gun in the world have no restrictions on suppressors. They even encourage use of them, for the obvious benefits.

Whether they are police, or anyone else should make no difference either.

The only thing that makes any sense at this point concerning suppressors, is deregulation of them.

Agreed...May as well regulate mufflers on vehicles as well wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pira114
I'm obviously biased, but yes, we need them.

My feeling though is that the majority of Americans would freak out. Too scary looking and all they know about them came from Hollywood

Members of this board probably know a lot more than the average American. But we're not the majority

This

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Ever fired one inside a building?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Ever fired one inside a building?

salient point! Had an accidental discharge with my .45ACP inside the guard shack one night while on guard duty in the Marines. It was deafening.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep. I think they should be available to anyone who can legally own a firearm.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Certainly might improve the ability to hear and comprehend orders and etc in the middle of a bunch of noise. Commo can sure be an issue in these situations.

If LEO are already packing such a rifle I see no issues with a suppressor.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't care, but the know nothings and the media ( faux news included) would freak.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I reckon this place would be a good test bed for the idea.

What would y'all think about cops having suppressors on a patrol rifle? Not a suppressor like in the movies that makes a gun silent but a real life model that just keeps the noise to a safe level? If you've never been around one, they're still loud....they just keep you from needing ear protection while shooting.

There have allegedly been cases of folks winning lawsuits against the police for firing rifles near them and causing hearing loss.

And I know of several cases of officers being unable to work after a shoot out because of hearing loss (they weren't completely deaf, but couldn't pass the department's hearing test).

If a suppressor was purchased by the officer, would you freak out that he used it at work?

Why just LE?

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

What would y'all think about cops having suppressors on a patrol rifle? Not a suppressor like in the movies that makes a gun silent but a real life model that just keeps the noise to a safe level? If you've never been around one, they're still loud....they just keep you from needing ear protection while shooting.

There have allegedly been cases of folks winning lawsuits against the police for firing rifles near them and causing hearing loss.

And I know of several cases of officers being unable to work after a shoot out because of hearing loss (they weren't completely deaf, but couldn't pass the department's hearing test).

If a suppressor was purchased by the officer, would you freak out that he used it at work?

The day they become legal for civilians w/o a stamp, I say fine.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 09/13/14.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Blue, several members made some relevant points regarding the politics etc. But as a practical matter, I wouldn't consider suppressor use to fall under the "militarization" category. You are just extending "Serve and Protect" to include hearing protection.

Now come asking for a silencer to fit the 25mm cannon on your Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and I might see that a little different.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The ownership of suppressors should be subject to the same requirements as firearms. I see no reason for law enforcement or anyone else to be restricted in their use.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Why just LE?

LOL

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

The day they become legal for civilians w/o a stamp, I say fine.

You know cops have to pay the tax too, right?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Now come asking for a silencer to fit the 25mm cannon on your Bradley Fighting Vehicle, and I might see that a little different.

"Patrol Rifle" is code for "Army Tank". I just didn't want to get y'all's feathers ruffled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No issue with the police using suppressors since they are legal in most states for the citizens to use and own.

Suppressors are great for doing raids in Meth labs that are volatile!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rifles, DD.

Sorry did not realize suppressors were for a rifle.

A word of caution if the purpose is to reduce the noise of a rifle, most likely a .223, inside of a building one would have to use sub-sonic ammo in order for the suppressor to be of much of an advantage. A rifle using standard velocity ammo with a suppressor tend to be louder than without the suppressor. Inside of a building the noise with suppressor is even louder. I asked a retired military sniper why that is so and he said the suppressor reduces noise down range but blows the noise back at the shooter.

Our outdoor range is enclosed on three sides with a roof. One time up at the range there were a group of guys shooting everything from pistols to rifles with suppressors and all the weapons using standard velocities ammo with suppressors were extremely loud with the suppressors attached. Only the sub-sonic ammo which included .22lr were quiet and hearing protection wasn't needed. Everything else needed hearing protection not to harm one's hearing.

Before departments start buying suppressors I would check them out especially inside of buildings with different brands of ammo including sub-sonic and make sure everybody is wearing hearing protectors.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, police should be able to get them tax free even for personal use. Civilians shouldn't be able to have them period.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
A rifle using standard velocity ammo with a suppressor tend to be louder than without the suppressor.

I don't know what to say, I just felt compelled to quote that.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.