Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I saw two slits and materialism I thought for sure this was about some Kardashians.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That one is two threads down on the left.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
(Note I edited my post a bit, sometimes it doesn't come out of my head the clearest as I type.)

I'd bet QED would hold your interest. Be prepared for some bizarre ideas, our common sense notions of how things work are based on the observation of billions and billions (Sagan grin )of events interacting. A single event standing alone can seem quite different.

Waves came first, it was a practical model way back. Then Einstein showed clearly that photons were particles. Confusion ensued of course. Which will it be today, waves or particles? If you allow that photons don't necessarily move in straight lines you don't need to think of waves. Though wave theory remains as a convenient approximation and misleads schoolkids daily. It is easier to conceptualize, but it's approximation passed on as truth. Feynman explains it all, in steps.

Feynman explains the other stuff too, and more, so much better than I can.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I don't really exist until my wife sees me and tells me to do something? Dang it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody's looking at my junk right now, but it's there. I can feel it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pira114
So I don't really exist until my wife sees me and tells me to do something? Dang it

You should try an experiment!

When she tells you to take out the trash put a blindfold on her and shout, "I can't, I don't exist!"

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Exactly! Matter only "exists" (according to QM) when an observation causes the infinite probabilities to collapse into a defined form.

Probabilities aren't infinite or we couldn't calculate them. I think Schrodinger's Cat was a misdirection. Have some thoughts on that but I don't know enough to know if they're half-baked or just silly. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My optician said the other day that just about all kids today are studying quantum physics more than anything else in college. A fast growing field and very interesting to the kids.

Light is both a wave and a particle. The real fun is trying to measure dark matter and/or dark energy. It's there but nobody can see it because it absorbers light.

Is dark matter and energy material and reality or is it not. Does anyone know for sure.

I thought this required a little Gus. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to be the biggest nerd I know. I start down a path learning about something and the next thing I know, I'm consumed by it. It occupies my every thought for a few days until I encounter the next thing that does this...

yeah we really didnt talk enough at the hog hunt grin im the biggest one i know too, to the point the vast majority of my science discussions happen with my microbiologist buddy over on the east coast cause no one near me is interested past the basics.....granted its more various aspects of biology than physics

Last edited by rattler; 09/12/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by pira114

You should try an experiment!

When she tells you to take out the trash put a blindfold on her and shout, "I can't, I don't exist!"

Just tried it. Didn't work. The blindfold prevented me from seeing the book flying at my head.

Which proves this theory wrong. I didn't observe the book, but it still hurt

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All that I recall is that my college final exam in quantum mechanics was to derive the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in three dimensions. It was a "take home" exam (thinking piece of cake) with three days to work it (more cake), four problems in all (yes). It was pretty hairy calculus up the azz and I think I spent 30 hours on that one exam. That chit is for special minds.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm an engineer with a lot of electromagnetic involvement. I do believe that quantum mechanics & electromagnetic theories will merge or be related. The clues to the universe will evolve from electromagnetic theories. New methods of space travel based on electromagnetic matter & technologies that we can't even imagine today.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For fun read Michael Creighton's "Timeline", a very interesting fiction read and take on Quantum Mechanics.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HAJ,

It's akin to Schrodinger's Cat where all possible realities exist simultaneously until the observer chooses which will be the constant. Thus, each observer choosing, if simultaneously and independent upon of each other, may well choose a different reality.

These scientific theories and descriptions of what is infinitely possible and how they are determined are fascinating. Are they a conception of God? Are they a manifestation of the ancient Taoist philosophies (read those with an open mind, compare to QM/QT)? Are they a conception of the nativistic Great Circle (again, read and compare)? Are they all simply saying the same thing? In some respects, they have to be (assuming QM/QT is true).

I suspect sitting 'round with you, rattler, nighthawk, and a few others could be rather fun.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not so certain that choice enters into the result. Maybe it does, I am just skimming the surface of this stuff.

From the experiments I've read the observer is an instrument without choice.

Then again the purpose of the instrument could be the choice?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
(Note I edited my post a bit, sometimes it doesn't come out of my head the clearest as I type.)

I'd bet QED would hold your interest. Be prepared for some bizarre ideas, our common sense notions of how things work are based on the observation of billions and billions (Sagan grin )of events interacting. A single event standing alone can seem quite different.

Waves came first, it was a practical model way back. Then Einstein showed clearly that photons were particles. Confusion ensued of course. Which will it be today, waves or particles? If you allow that photons don't necessarily move in straight lines you don't need to think of waves. Though wave theory remains as a convenient approximation and misleads schoolkids daily. It is easier to conceptualize, but it's approximation passed on as truth. Feynman explains it all, in steps.

Feynman explains the other stuff too, and more, so much better than I can.

So, the duality of light is more than a duality then?

This stuff sucks me in.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are they all simply saying the same thing?

I would posit that they are all attempts to put into words the same observations.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This stuff gets the queasions interacting in my stomach. Bizzare, wonderful and terrible is the universe, the theories try to get it knocked down to fit into our heads and how much of it is lost in that effort? The two slit is an enduring thrill, don't let it make you mad, let it make you smile. Having TWO slits is the choice.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one for HAJ (and all the other geeks like me):

Heisenberg and Schr�dinger are speeding in a car and get pulled over by a cop.

Heisenberg is in the driver's seat, the police officer asks "do you know how fast you were going?"

Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know exactly where I am!"

The officer looks at him confused and says "you were going 108 miles per hour!"

Heisenberg throws his arms up and cries, "Great! Now I'm lost!"

The officer, now confused and frustrated, orders the men out of the car, and he proceeds to inspect the vehicle.

He opens the trunk and yells at the two men, "Hey! Did you guys know you have a dead cat back here?"

Schr�dinger angrily yells back, "We do now, a$$hole!"

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
we have q-bits that are neither 1's nor 0's but the sum of both.

The sum of 1 and 0 is 1.

There. Solved it for ya.

1 = on
0 = off

on + off = ???

on + off = on, with what was given..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.