Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I did not crimp, then I crimped and now I don't anymore. I pulled some bullets once and saw an indention on same with the lee crimp in which it was set I thought for a very light crimp. Case full of powder is good but I like TAC under a Barnes 62, had no setback issues with this in WW cases. I use Redding dies.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, I guess I'll be alright. I use a case "full" of Varget. There won't be any room for setback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
You got more than a couple of reloaders on this forum that don't crimp and don't have bullet set back. You use the proper diameter neck expanding ball and a case full of the proper powder. Problem solved.

You are correct Michigan and I have never had a setback that I am aware of. But, I'm just a little nervous about it when I have 20 plus rounds in a magazine. It's just easier to crimp the ammo and not be nervous about it. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
N
nurse Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Dad took the rifle back to the store he bought it from. They are going to send it back to the factory. Will keep you posted on how things turn out. Thanks for all the posts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a bushmaster with a barrel that for some reason the FSB was not aligned properly to the upper receiver. I don't care for that brand.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
dang jimmy. talk about flaming the bushy...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
wait it was one of those made without a flash hider when we had the first assault rifle ban, so they get a pass!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I guess I better sell my two Bushmasters then. Thousands of rounds, both factory and hand loads, with zero issues, but then you just never know. laugh

Sam......

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
they're probably already blown up and you just don't know it. they shoot about the same before and after.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am sure the bushmasters are fine guns, but its like going to a recommended restaurant with the usual chef off for the day. Your meal is less than expected thus your are inclined to not frequent that establishment. My experience was during the first assault rifle ban and folks were buying stuff as fast as it could be turned out.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by cra1948
Local walmart had a bunch of Remington .223's with 50 grain HP's that weren't moving (most of the guys using .223 around here use them for coyotes or deer) and had them on sale for less than new brass prices. I bought all they had with the intention of plinking to empty the brass, then reload with my regular loads. At some point I ejected an unfired round from the AR I was using and that 50 grain HP was very noticeably pushed back into the case neck. I manually cycled a few more and about every third or fourth one would do it. From then on I only shot them in my bolt gun.

I realize this is factory ammo but this just reinforces my belief that if you are using reloads in an AR, you should crimp the bullet in the case.
kwg

Only if you have HUA syndrome and don't know how to reload.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
All my 300 BO brass will be Nickel plated.

Thats funny. I make 338-06 off my LC 67 cases. I don't make them or anything.

You just have to check your ammo like you are supposed to, before loading it in a gun or mag etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
All my 300 BO brass will be Nickel plated.

Thats funny. I make 338-06 off my LC 67 cases. I don't make them or anything.

You just have to check your ammo like you are supposed to, before loading it in a gun or mag etc....

I'm not the only person in my house that shoots an AR. This will create a clear visual queue.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if someone doesn't know, IMHO they should not be the one loading the gun.

BUT I don't disagree that if you want to make a visual reference thats fine.

But what about the danger of just showing someone that you use or don't use a nickel case? They do come in more than one caliber....

I simpler cheaper way is mark the head of the cases with a sharpie....if you feel the need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I simpler cheaper way is mark the head of the cases with a sharpie....if you feel the need.

Or mark the magazines with colored tape.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
All great idea's.
I already differentiate some loads with colored tape, or label the mag with the load details.

The upper would probably never see anything except reloads, and once fired Rem nickel can be had for a good price, so that's what I would probably run in it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We shot nickel in my wifes gun for some years for some reason I can't recall for 600 yard stuff. It weighed out very very close in weight and produced accurate ammo. I was not aware that you could buy it once fired. We don't use it anymore but I was way surpised that it was almost what I'd call match brass on top of being nickel.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The nickel was actually on a link posted in this forum a short while ago. The best value (IMO) was once fired Remington that you could get brass or nickel for the same price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by cra1948
Local walmart had a bunch of Remington .223's with 50 grain HP's that weren't moving (most of the guys using .223 around here use them for coyotes or deer) and had them on sale for less than new brass prices. I bought all they had with the intention of plinking to empty the brass, then reload with my regular loads. At some point I ejected an unfired round from the AR I was using and that 50 grain HP was very noticeably pushed back into the case neck. I manually cycled a few more and about every third or fourth one would do it. From then on I only shot them in my bolt gun.

I realize this is factory ammo but this just reinforces my belief that if you are using reloads in an AR, you should crimp the bullet in the case.
kwg

Only if you have HUA syndrome and don't know how to reload.

Yes, I am familiar with neck tension. I'm not doing it to make you feel better. I'm doing it to make me feel safer. kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 09/21/14.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CBMJR

Or mark the magazines with colored tape.

Yep, RED or YELLOW tape. Deer cannot see color except BLUE. whistle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.