Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for posting. Your bedding job looks awesome!! I always enjoy seeing your work. You are doing a top notch job as always. I'd really like it if you posted the complete job after you get it done in a step by step fassion if that's not too much to ask. I know there's a ton of work that goes into something like that, but it would be cool to see your work progress.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's the stock. I just got it today. I like the looks of it and look forward to getting this thing bedded and shooting it. As the stock sits now, it is heavier than the fwt wood stock it's replacing. It will be even heavier after bedding compound is layed in there. I was hoping it would be very similar in weight to the factory wood stock, but such is not the case. However, it will be much stronger than the factory stock and will not warp or change with the weather. We'll see how she shoots with a full length bedding job too. Here she is:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright. After 5 pages of preliminary, it's time to bed this rifle into a Mcmillan swirly stock!!!!

Step 1:
Hog out old bedding material. Make sure the barreled action slides into the new stock effortlessly. You also want to make sure the barreled action is centered in the stock. This may require you to remove some of the stock material so the azz end of the receiver can move and point the barrel directly down the center of the channel.

[Linked Image]
I use a yellow inletting paint to make sure enough is relieved. Don't confuse this with the yellow modeling clay. Check out this gap sick.. The original owner had a barrel with a different shank length and contour. This will get covered up pretty easily when we are done. This should be expected when buying a used stock:
[Linked Image]

Step 2:

I wanted 3 points of contact to insure the barreled action would sit in the stock perfectly centered and remain "neutral"/stress free during glass bedding. The 3 points of contact are the pillars in the stock and 1 that I had to make at the tip of the forend:

[Linked Image]

The best thing for this is a fast setting epoxy. For this type of thing I've always used JB quick and it works very well. Set up time is 6 minutes, so you need to apply it and throw the barreled action in and get it set where you want it. Sorry no pics as this is a kind of hurried event:
[Linked Image]

Step 3:
Use some modeling clay in the voids where you don't want epoxy:
[Linked Image]

Step 4:
Remove trigger group and bolt release lever.

Step 5:
Spray the inside of the receiver with Hornady ones shot case lube or other similar release agent.

Step 6:
Spray other hard to get to crevices with the one shot case lube. I then use a little modeling clay on the receiver where the bolt release lever was. This will hopefully add clearance in this area so when the release lever is installed, it clears the side of the stock and works freely.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1061_zps96f5292d.jpg[/img]

Do a trial fit to make sure there is a little clearance between the stock and clay. You'll want to do this before adding the epoxy:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1053_zps08553745.jpg[/img]

Step 7:
Now coat the outside of the stock with some good release agent. I have been using Johnson's paste wax for a while now and it works great. This will assure a quick clean-up with no epoxy sticking to the outside of the stock where it doesn't belong.

Step 8:
Coat all steel parts of the barreled action with release agent. You can also spray the modeling clay with the hornady one shot case lube. Release agent is your best friend!!

Step 9:
Mix up your bedding compound. I have used many types of epoxy and like Devcon 10110 the best. It's both very strong and durable and easy to work with:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1064_zps7ded23e0.jpg[/img]

They limit us to 10 pictures per post, so this will have to be continued in the next post....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, let's start putting some epoxy into the stock:

Step 10:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 11:
Install the barreled action. I used the factory action screws to bolt everything back together because it sat on the pillars very well. I don't apply too much torque on the screws because this will induce stress if the pillars to bottom of the receiver isn't perfect. When you do this, you'll see epoxy oozing out of the stock. This is a good thing because you know you put enough bedding material in there:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 12:
Clean the oozed out epoxy before it hardens up. I know some guys wait until it's pliable, but I don't. I use q-tips loaded with the johnsons paste wax to wipe the excess epoxy off. It works great and simplifies the clean-up process after you pop the action out of the stock. If you do it right, it will look like this:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1077_zpse000e5a7.jpg[/img]
Now we wait for the epoxy to harden up. I usually let it sit for a minimum of 12 hours before trying to separate barreled action from stock...

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1082_zps0264230f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1084_zps75c0cda7.jpg[/img]

As with all bedding jobs, the real test will be when we take it to the range. I'll post more pics tonight after I pop the action out of the stock. I'll hopefully shoot this ol girl tomorrow.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
DAM, I was hoping since it was heavy you would let me have it for my fwt, 06, My smith is bedding the wood stock for me, it was ,is my first fwt after untold std guns, he did a great job on my target in sporter stock gun. I have a feeling the older I get the more the fwt will get used. I started working on the bench today, by 12 it was too hot but the dam bugs were not clouding up! I got a 52 E in that is super sweet. great job it looks like it will be as solid as a glue in benchrest gun when you get her done! very best winpoor

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I know a lot of guys frown on a full length bedding job and the previous owner of the stock seemed displeased that I'd be doing a FL bedding job on it. But hey I listen to what my rifles tell me. This old girl loved it's factory inletted stock. Most of you know how this rifle shot in it's factory stock, so I'll refrain from posting pics of that. We'll see how she does tomorrow. I'll be running my "big" scope on her too (Sorry guys, I know how you love your light little scopes). I'll probably end up leaving that scope on her too. my eyes suck and I don't mind the 4.5-14 (call me crazy).. crazy

Winpoor, the fwt's are the catz azz if you ask me. I get very good accuracy out of them and they are a lot lighter than the std's. Let us know how your fwt shoots for you after you get it back from the smiths...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking good~!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I was wanting it to look as good as yours. You be the judge. Just got her cleaned up and bolted back together. I installed my 4.5-14x42 scope and now I wish I had a good ol 3-9x40 laying around blush. Now lets see, I think I was somewhere around step 12:

Pop the action loose from the stock. Please see my other bedding thread for this procedure. That thread is in the Winchester collector forum as well.

Step 13:
Clean metal parts. The Johnson's paste wax comes off very easy with some good ol rem oil.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 14:
Install trigger group and bolt stop:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 14:
Drill action screw holes out in stock. I drill from the bottom (invert the rifle and drill down when secured in the rifle rest) thru the aluminum pillar as a guide. I also use a 5/16" drill bit. When you are done, the hole should look nice and true like this:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1085_zpsd395ae86.jpg[/img]

Step 15 do a trial fit with trigger and bolt release/stop installed. If it hangs up on the bedding, take a dremel and fine tune the tight spots (that means remove material)...Here's an example, the pin that hold the trigger group in was hitting the bedding as the action slid down inside the stock. I removed material and then it slid down with no problem:

Before:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1102_zps2140514a.jpg[/img]

After:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1106_zps16d7cefd.jpg[/img]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah baby!! That's what I'm talking about. cool

Thanks for sharing the process with us BSA. I also really like the way the stock came out. Nice color choice!

Next step - To the range!!

Eric

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking great BSA! Awesome Job! A+++++

Can't wait to get this move to New Mexico done so I can set up my shop again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright guys. Time was short at the range but I got up there. Had to go to another location to try to get out of the wind too. Here was the first 5 shot group after getting on paper and making the first adjustment towards the orange dot. The burris scope wasn't tracking like it should, so I may end up replacing it with a trimmer scope.

First group/first adjustment of scope sick:
[Linked Image]

I was in a chitty spot and the wind was terrible. So I moved to another more sheltered location about 1/2 hr away from the first spot. I adjusted the scope and fired 5 shots:
[Linked Image]

I adjusted the scope 1 last time and shot 3 more and called it a day:
[Linked Image]
I was also lucky that the wind mellowed way down for these 3 shots. All in all, I think this is going to work. I can fine tune this load even though this is a cheap bullet and mainly used for plinking. It was developed for my classic sporter 30-06, but this fwt took a liking to it as well. I'll do some load development with some 180gr. nosler partitions and this rifle and will post results (as per usual).

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing your partition loads turn out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did you bed the recoil lug "solid" with no clearance, or do you tape it off a bit?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alright guys. Time was short at the range but I got up there. Had to go to another location to try to get out of the wind too. Here was the first 5 shot group after getting on paper and making the first adjustment towards the orange dot. The burris scope wasn't tracking like it should, so I may end up replacing it with a trimmer scope.

First group/first adjustment of scope sick:
[Linked Image]

I was in a chitty spot and the wind was terrible. So I moved to another more sheltered location about 1/2 hr away from the first spot. I adjusted the scope and fired 5 shots:
[Linked Image]

I adjusted the scope 1 last time and shot 3 more and called it a day:
[Linked Image]
I was also lucky that the wind mellowed way down for these 3 shots. All in all, I think this is going to work. I can fine tune this load even though this is a cheap bullet and mainly used for plinking. It was developed for my classic sporter 30-06, but this fwt took a liking to it as well. I'll do some load development with some 180gr. nosler partitions and this rifle and will post results (as per usual).

Sweet 25yd group smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Right John. whistle. One of these days you need to get yourself a pre 64, so you can see what a real rifle is.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Did you bed the recoil lug "solid" with no clearance, or do you tape it off a bit?

I always bed them solid. I know of a few other guys that do the same. I knew someone would be along to ask that question..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Looking great BSA! Awesome Job! A+++++

Can't wait to get this move to New Mexico done so I can set up my shop again.

A guy needs a shop for sure. I look forward to seeing your rifle when it is done. If it turns out like your last one, it will be top notch. Thanks for the comments..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right John. whistle. One of these days you need to get yourself a pre 64, so you can see what a real rifle is.. wink

[bleep] just to watch rust in alaska no thanks you lower 48 boys just don't know. Stainless all day... I'm not ready to watch a grown man cry from Oregon when his beloved model 70 is a pile of rust

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Besides I already know what real rifle is I have model 54...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.