Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a few farms that have been sold, and a family quarrel over money, i've lost all my hunting spots. This sucks.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is unfortunate.

I assume you hunt in NY. Are there no public lands worth hunting?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That happened to me a couple of years ago, so I know the feeling. The good news is that public land, if you can avoid the weekends and are willing to walk a bit, can be better than you might think. The downside is that you may have to lower your expectations about the size and numbers of bucks you will see. Now that I'm on public land, any adult legal deer is acceptable for me.

I hope you work something out.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Start burning the shoe leather on the public hunting grounds.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had that happen a few years ago. I was distraught and angry and thought I wouldn't be able to go. Before the season I found 3 places to hunt which I had never been. Two of them turned out to be gems. Say a prayer or two and keep your ears open. You may find something better than what you had.

IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Start burning the shoe leather on the public hunting grounds.

Exactly! Plenty of room in the daks...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would love to be able to burn more shoe leather. But my mail carrying career is coming to an end as i'm being plagued with arthritis and burcitis in the knees and the hip i had replaced. Then to add to the fun, herniated discs and pinched nerves.Sure would of treated my body differentley through the years if I had seen this coming. It sure sucks getting old. Thanks guys. May your season be fulfilling and rewarding....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my buddy sold the property I've Ben hunting on since 1998.
I still have a few other places but I don't have any place with longer than 150 yards.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
I would love to be able to burn more shoe leather. But my mail carrying career is coming to an end as i'm being plagued with arthritis and burcitis in the knees and the hip i had replaced. Then to add to the fun, herniated discs and pinched nerves.Sure would of treated my body differentley through the years if I had seen this coming. It sure sucks getting old. Thanks guys. May your season be fulfilling and rewarding....

You are right, MMM.
Getting old does suck, but I am lucky enough to own the small piece of land where I have hunted for the last 22 years. We use stands here in Western Ky. and mine is about 300 yds. from my back door. I intend to keep going for a long time, the Lord willing.......Good luck on finding another place to hunt.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel for you, mailmanmark. I bounced around a lot in the past, trying to find hunting lands.

Too bad you aren't closer to my location, I could set you up with a spot on my land.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good Luck finding a few new spots where you can hunt Mark.
I fully understand your circumstances. When I was in NW PA if it wasn't for the Allegheny NF and a few private timberlands it would have been really hard to find a spot, especially with some physical "ailments" as you describe.

Wishing you the best,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Where are you in upstate?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by penrod72
Where are you in upstate?

Yes, where?

Family fights over money are so stupid. My parents' families were both ripped apart that way.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, don't give up. Yesterday, I went squirrel hunting on a public area about 20 minutes from here. The two squirrels I saw " plumb evaded me", as Jimmy Buffet would say, but I also saw 3 small bucks, a piebald doe with a fawn, 2 other deer, and a couple of turkeys, all within a quarter mile of my car, and in less than 2 hours. I had most of the fun and none of the mess.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
sorry to hear that. check craigs list for hunting clubs looking for members im also in new york there is plenty of state land you would be surprized to find many areas have no hunting pressure

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I live just to the north of Utica.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lastround

You are right, MMM.
Getting old does suck, but I am lucky enough to own the small piece of land where I have hunted for the last 22 years. We use stands here in Western Ky. and mine is about 300 yds. from my back door. I intend to keep going for a long time, the Lord willing.......Good luck on finding another place to hunt.

And a damn good stand it is. cool

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not getting old yet, but in the last 23 years since I began hunting the woods and open land sure had changed. Big changes this year. I am fortunate to live in an area with a lot of public land and some people who allow us to hunt on their private land.

My advice is to knock on a few doors. The worst they can say is no!

Hunt...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Way toooo bad!!

I wish you GOOD luck to come soon!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.