Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dave93 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Page 68-69....What is the rifle in the picture. Obviously a Mauser with a later 3-pos safety. Extended magazine is unique and I'm curious about the caliber and how the magazine was designed. Anybody have any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not sure, but i was looking at the Strike Fire on my AR thinking hell thats a good idea, may have to try it grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Dave93 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It's not pretty or classic but I'd bet that it's quick....the great thing about books magazines and even the internet is it allows people with sometimes wild ideas to influence those of us who don't have those wild ideas and could use a bit of inspiration. Good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, will say its a pretty interesting issue/edition...ive read about 2/3s of it so far and have enjoyed it.....nice assemblage of articles for a fan of bigger rifles

Last edited by rattler; 09/14/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not to hijack thread but where do I find the article. Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on newsstands now
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I found his experience regarding performance of various calibers pretty interesting. Basically, he said that he's not seen much difference between how animals respond to a hit with a 9.3x62 or a .375 versus a .458 or .470. He said you don't really see a performance difference until you use one of the .505s.

He would definitely be a neat guy to talk to.

Based on his other writings I'll bet that rifle is a 9.3x62 adapted for stripper clips. I have no idea about the mag though.

Last edited by pabucktail; 09/16/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah found that interesting....i know he has lots of experiance but know other guys that have also BTDT that say there is definitely a difference,in cape buffalo atleast, between the lower 40's like the 416 Rigby and the 470 and it could definitely be noticed...and definitely also a difference between the 9.3/375 and 458......less so between the 458's and 470 though which isnt surprising since is generally just stepping up in diameter but not weight so i would expect lil difference between the two throwing slugs at similar velocities....

as always i enjoyed Mr. Shoemaker's articles aswell

if you want to read more of Ganyana's stuff since he is more widely published in African magazines than US:

he has articles for free on here:
http://www.shakariconnection.com/index.html

i picked this book up for a couple bucks off ebay:
https://www.createspace.com/4421667

Last edited by rattler; 09/16/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
also from reading his articles everywhere i can find them i would love to have access to Ganyana's library.....the man is definitely a book worm like me grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Without seeing the pic in question........a .425 WR comes to mind?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this the first "special edition" or have there been others, I just happened upon this issue at the magazine rack I don't normally look there and don't recall getting any notice from Wolfe about it.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no they do them every so often....been a couple lever action ones, varmint hunting that i have in a box somewhere....IIRC there is another big bore one but ive only seen a pic of the cover.....

Savuti, ts newer production not WR though that comes to mind especially since there is an article on that "Rifle System" in the magazine aswell

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Of course you can't get it online, that's special.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
[Linked Image]

curious what the author has against Ping?

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wolfe normally produces one extra theme-edition of Handloader and one of Rifle each year. The Handloader special comes out in spring and the Rifle special about now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Does anyone recognize the red dot scope? Are the made to withstand big bore recoil?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not sure....do know the Vortex Strike Fire that ive got on my AR is rated for 375H&H which means ild give it a shot on something in the 404 Jeffery/425WR class.....im pretty sure the big Weatherbys, the big 500's ect will shake it apart though....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Big difference in recoil FT/Lbs between a 5.56 or 7.62 NATO and a big bore. I've got an Aimpoint scope on my HK91 but I'm reluctant to mount it onto my 375 H&H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys!

Steelhead I picked my copy up at Books-a-million in Destin, Florida I'm going to check out the Barnes and Noble today!

Setting here in the rain with a bulging,possibly ruptured, disc in my back so my activities are limited!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Big difference in recoil FT/Lbs between a 5.56 or 7.62 NATO and a big bore. I've got an Aimpoint scope on my HK91 but I'm reluctant to mount it onto my 375 H&H

i agree but says right on the box the Strike Fire comes in its rated for 375H&H

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-hunting-red-dot-scope-low-30mm-ring

"Shockproof with rugged one-piece 30mm aluminum alloy tube.
High recoil caliber rating�tested with .375 H&H Magnum for 1000 rounds."

granted so far its only been on my AR though if i find a scope i like it will prolly move to my Marlin Guide Gun

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's an Aimpoint he's got on there. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for such an application. I've seen pictures of Ivan Carter using them and he definitely prefers big bores for elephant work.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The nearest BaM or BaN is 65 miles.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like an opportunity to take the wifey to town!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steelie,

Thought just occurred to me, PM me an address and I will put one in the mail for you, I'm sure I can find a post office somewhere in this town!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
An Aimpoint will stand up to about any recoil.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In general red-dot sights are tougher than scopes, mostly because they're far simpler, and especially simpler than a variable scope, so there's less to go wrong.

One of my PH's in Africa had had a red-dot sight (brand I'd never heard of, perhaps local or European) on his .500 Nitro-Express double for many years with no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My God! A red dot sight on a double rifle?! Best not let the old boys at the Explorer�s Club hear of this, they�ll choke on their gin and tonics...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ganyana is a good friend of mine and I have hunted with him many times both in Africa and in the US. With that said-he is a walking encyclopedia of ballistic, historic and natural history. Particularly regarding Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. The guy is a natural story teller, has a wonderful memory and is an enthusiastic teacher. My daughters still talk about the hunt we did with him in 2007 when they were early teens and are constantly asking when he will come and visit us again. His family history is the history of Rhodesia from the Pioneer column to service in the bush war.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
My God! A red dot sight on a double rifle?! Best not let the old boys at the Explorer�s Club hear of this, they�ll choke on their gin and tonics...

LMAO!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PWN
Ganyana is a good friend of mine and I have hunted with him many times both in Africa and in the US. With that said-he is a walking encyclopedia of ballistic, historic and natural history. Particularly regarding Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. The guy is a natural story teller, has a wonderful memory and is an enthusiastic teacher. My daughters still talk about the hunt we did with him in 2007 when they were early teens and are constantly asking when he will come and visit us again. His family history is the history of Rhodesia from the Pioneer column to service in the bush war.

good to hear, IIRC one other person that has met him has said much the same. been a fan of his since i first stumbled across an article of his. he actually reminds me alot of Mule Deer in his no BS style. as i said, would love to have access to the library i imagine he has after reading his stuff dor the last handful of years. wish there was more of his stuff available in the states. definitely would like to spend an evening listening to him recant....

Last edited by rattler; 09/17/14.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sounds interesting except it is not online, not in Walgreens, not on Wolfe's website and there are no papershops/newsagents in the US so it is well hidden from the buying public.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Circulation manager: Kendra Newell. Circriflemagazine.com

Polacek Publishing, dba Wolfe Publishing (928)445-7810, President Don Polacek
2180 Gulfstream, Ste A, Prescott, Arizona 86301

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
An Aimpoint will stand up to about any recoil.

Can't vouch much for recoil but I can for sheer punishment. We ran Aimpoints from 03-06ish and I can't remember one of them loosing zero to thousands of rounds of range time along with daily and nightly trips into the field. They were smashed, sat on left on vibrating and always rough riding trucks and never missed a beat. We even mounted a few of them on our M249's and they handled that rattling as well. I have a lot of respect for the Aimpoints.

Semper Fi
D
Dave93 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by PWN

PWN......can you find out the details on the rifle in the picture?

Rattler.....thanks for the help with this thread...you kept it going.. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was tempted to put my Aimpoint on my 458 but I went and shot it at the range Wednesday morning and I was able to touch bullets with two different bullets at 100 yards so I guess the iron sights on it are fine enough for the 150-200 yards that it is good for if I do my part. The Aimpoint would be nice though- just detracting from the appearance.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Sounds interesting except it is not online, not in Walgreens, not on Wolfe's website and there are no papershops/newsagents in the US so it is well hidden from the buying public.

AussieGunWriter;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you doing acceptably well.

Up here across the medicine line we're typically the very last to see any publications - but in this instance I was able to pick up a copy last week at our local Walmart.

I'm not sure that all Walmarts have magazine racks though so it may be no help to you. I do know that in Washington State and Oregon the Walmarts have a beer, wine and liquor selection that our BC stores don't/can't have. grin

Anyway sir I hope you have a good fall and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dwayne
I tried Walmart and Walgreens. Am going to check out CVS tonight and if that fails it will cost me a 32 mile round trip to a Barnes & Noble.

Hope it's worth it as it seldom is. The last B/Bore publication I bought had a piece on the .460 and was laughable, unfortunately, as I do like to support the magazines and the writers.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There's one article in there "about" straight wall lever gun cartridges for elk. It's the only substandard article there, for me anyway. The rest ranges from fairly above "meh" to really good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
There's one article in there "about" straight wall lever gun cartridges for elk. It's the only substandard article there, for me anyway. The rest ranges from fairly above "meh" to really good.

yeah that one was a bit odd in how it flowed, wonder if its a fairly new writer cause it looks like something i would come up with.....wouldnt be what i intended the final product to be but its prolly how it would end up....but it is one of the closest to liking it cover to cover Wolfe publications ive had in my hands in quite awhile....yeah some of it was more interesting than others due to my personal interests but i enjoyed the vast majority....

Last edited by rattler; 09/19/14.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Added Walmart, CVS and Barnes and Noble...nothing.
If it was ever distributed, it must have been good if it sold out before it could be seen in any rack.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I was tempted to put my Aimpoint on my 458 but I went and shot it at the range Wednesday morning and I was able to touch bullets with two different bullets at 100 yards so I guess the iron sights on it are fine enough for the 150-200 yards that it is good for if I do my part. The Aimpoint would be nice though- just detracting from the appearance.

dennisinaz, if you do try out the Aimpoint on your 458 please write a post about it. Thanks.... idahoguy101

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
i might do a test but wont hunt that way

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.