Is it live or Memorex

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by donsm70
My suggestion is to find something that you can shoot comfortably, without a muzzle break. They are definitely annoying to other shooters, at the range, and guides in the field.

A .270 should not need a break.

donsm70

+1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by HE112
.....low recoil too due to the muzzle break...

Brake, NOT break.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Brake, NOT break.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spit coffee on that one

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the range to myself once and was shooting my model 70 in 300WM that has the ported boss. I came back to the bench after checking a target, noticed I had one more shell from a box, and decided to throw the last one at the 500 m gong.

Well, holy [bleep]! I damn near shat myself as I had forgot to put my muffs back on! If anyone has a non ported one laying around I will buy it......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
This schit is always a pfhukking RIOT,as it's some drooling dumbpfhukk,trying to tell another drooling dumbpfhukk how "grate" "breaks" are. Laffin'!

That conversation is always an expose on schit chamberings,schit boolits and Imaginary Pretend "results",by The Window Licking Faction. It always culminates in LR "satisfactions",garnered by schit rifles,wearing schit mounting systems,schit glass and the Vagenius trumpeting same,being totally devoid a first pfhukking clue. Let's HOPE for a Haybale & Crockett "vindication" Hero Pic. Laffin'!

Now it's taken even further with "Break Torque" and Rubber Bands...which places the Hilarity Quotient into the pfhukking stratosphere! Congratulations?!?

Conjoin that Dumbpfhukkery with the Holly Hobby Lego "Break" and one has to wear a seatbelt to read this AMAZING Stupidity,to keep from falling out of the pfhukking chair,from laughing so hard. WOW!!!

Then take it a notch further and sprinkle more STUPIDITY copiously,by making mention how this is a "learned" decision based on "experience".

I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooooooooooo pfhukking hard!!!!

Throw ALL Of your JipJap Fluff offa pfhukking cliff,wash your hands in bleach and forget ALL notions of "Break" Turd Polishing and simply procure a gawdammned rifle of repute,that fits,is twisted and throated right,of the case capacity you can handle,then fling meaningful boolits of meaningful BC at meaningful speeds and be AMAZED how great things happen by literal default. Read that again. Now once more. Hint. PS and by the way...it's called a "243Win",Google it. Laffin'!

Or perhaps you Dumbpfhukkers will feel compelled to wax eloquent,on even more of your Goat Pfhukk's "particulars" and go obliviously for the Comedic Jugular?!? Oh I soooooooooooooooo HOPE!

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Tell us how you really feel. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Mossberg 4X4 in .270 that shoots really well, low recoil too due to the muzzle break that was on the barrel when I bought it new. It is also very accurate and I hand load for it.

When I had my AR-15 I would shoot both of them at my local range and could tell the muzzle breaks on both of them were annoying the shooters to my side. I often find the AR-15's of other shooters unpleasant to be near as well.

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

The way a brake works is by directing most of the muzzle blast to the side. When you put a break on a rifle, you will be direction more muzzle blast to shooters on either side of you than you would with an unbraked rifle, it's just the way it works.

I don't so much mind the noise as I wear plugs and muffs, but I find the blast from a break akin to a small concussive grenade and hence rather unsettling when you're trying to concentrate on your shot.

The intensity of that concussive blast depends on the chambering of the rifle and the design of the brake. The absolute worst rifle I had fired next to me was a 30-378 Weatherby. The blast was so bad instead of shooting during my lunch time range session I ended up BS'n with a buddy and packed my stuff up without firing a shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never used a brake and don't plan to do so, however Gentry claims that their brake directs gases (and noise) forward and not to the side. I don't know how this works, but if you feel you absolutely need or want a muzzle brake, you might take a look at Gentry's offering.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one braked rifle, purchased before I knew better, in 338-378.
It would blow soft drink cans off benches next to me and set off car alarms in the parking lot.
I sold it cheap.
Never again will I have something like that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Brake, NOT break.

[Linked Image]

Was the guy who proofread Hitler's speeches the first grammar Nazi?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mudhen,

The Gentry brake reduces the noise level about like blocking every 10th word from Rosie O'Donnell's mouth reduces the annoyance level.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mudhen,

The Gentry brake reduces the noise level about like blocking every 10th word from Rosie O'Donnell's mouth reduces the annoyance level.
Good to know. Thanks!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Dumbest thing I've ever done to a rifle--and my ears-- was to put a brake on a lightweight 270.

A Decellerator pad works better than a brake anyway....and cheaper to boot.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

Yes, your .270 is likely every bit as bad as the .308 in side blast. I personally wouldn't shoot a braked rifle next to anyone at a range.

Two of my rifles are braked and they are LOUD. They're my 6mmBR and my 22-250 that I use for prairie dog hunting. I don't have them on there because I'm a recoil puss or anything like that (my .375 H&H is unbraked), I have them on there because I can watch the bullet impact through the 20X scopes with the brakes. Call me twisted but I like watching the PD's flip/flop/explode through the scope and the brakes let me do that. The guys screaming that there's never a reason for a brake are full of BS, wanting one is a good enough reason. They have their place just like anything else. You've gotta use some sense with them though. Don't shoot with them at a range unless you're alone, fortunately I don't have to shoot at a public range so that isn't a problem for me. Make sure you have good hearing protection, I use ear plugs plus muffs when I shoot them. It's nice to be able to go through 100 rounds and not even feel it in your shoulder.

A decellerator pad does not reduce recoil better than a brake, not even close.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have several braked rifles I take to the public range. I tell people setting up beside me I'am shooting a braked rifle and nobody to date gave a $hit. They put on their ear protection like they should on a firing line and went about their busniess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle breaks on rifles, are they all harsh to the person on the side?

No. It depends on the cartridge and the load being fired and the brake design.

I've sat two tables over from a guy with a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun and ended up with hot powder down my neck. Definitely annoying, never mind the blast. I've also had items blown off my table by brakes on the table next to me. Definitely VERY annoying - so much so I called a cease fire until the gent moved away. (I was there first, he went to an end table.)

In general, also yes. When high pressure centerfire loads are fired the people to the side catch most of the blast. Not so much the person behind the trigger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I certainly get annoyed when someone with a Brake on an AR sets up to my left and bangs away with it as fast as they can.....

so a 270 must be all the worst....

years ago, a buddy bought a Model 70 in a 300 Win Mag with a Boss, because that is what his grand dad told him to buy... then he asked me to zero it for him, since he had 'trouble' with the recoil on it...

I had the same rifle in 30/06, with a Boss on it.. but also had one of the NON Vented BOSS I could spin on, which I did at the range...

he had picked up some factory 180 Win Mag Remington Ammo... and I had some 180 grain Rem 06 ammo...

we were the only two at that range over in Bend... I was surprised that the 300 Mag seemed to kick less with the BOSS on it than the 30/06 did... Grannis fired both rifles and felt the same way....so he was happy with his purchase...and the 4 x 16 scope on top his grand dad had told him to get also.....

I put the CR Boss on my 06 and let him fire that... he didn't like the 'recoil' off of that at all....

put another barrel on that rifle, although I still have that barrel in the closet.. also bought a 270 with it on there...

I really don't notice that much recoil reduction with the Boss on the 270... I left it on there for when I hunt with it... but will put the CR Boss on it when I go to the range...

its just a common courtesy to me... and I think guys who have Muzzle Brakes on a rifle and just set up and start banging away, and care less about anyone else there are just self centered asssses...

I am not a nice guy when someone to my left has rapidly shot his AR with a Brake on it, along with showering me with the brass as it ejected...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All of my rifles have brakes on them.I do this because I have arthritis in my shoulders and back.When I go to the range to shoot my rifles I shoot a round about every 8-10 minutes.If the people around me do not wear adequate ear protection,that is not my problem.I do not go out of my way to be a problem at the range.I just shoot at what bench they tell me to go to and that is it.I really like seeing exactly where my bullet hits the animal or target without loosing my eye picture.
If you don't like it tell the range master and he can handle it.Just because you do not like them does not mean I should not have them or be allowed to shoot my rifles in.I try to be considerate to others but there is a limit to that if they are rude and start shooting there mouth off.
I am not a self centered ass,but you sure sound like 1.

Last edited by crittergetter; 09/19/14.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.