Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Would a guide rather have a guy show up in camp with:

a braked rifle in a good caliber for game at hand, he is well practiced with and can shoot very well....

a rifle without a brake of questionable caliber he can shoot well....

a rifle in a good caliber, without brake, that he is scared of and has only shot 10 times....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by crittergetter
Like I said before if you do not wear adequate ear protection,it is not my problem.All of mine have 11-17 degree holes drilled at a forward angle to make the noise go forward and I do not shoot under cover at my range.I'm not being inconsiderate of others.I still go where the range master tells me to.If you do not like it so be it.

It's not just about ear protection. Often times I double up with ear plugs and over the ear muffs. While my eardrums are OK, the incoming pressure wave slap from a bench over is still an annoyance.

It is also interesting how brakes vary in obnoxiousness. I've shared the range with a 338 Lapua shooter, and his braked rig didn't seem too bad at all. A typical bad offender is a short barreled 223. The worst I've been around was a 30-378 Wby. with a Swiss cheese brake.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Would a guide rather have a guy show up in camp with:

a braked rifle in a good caliber for game at hand, he is well practiced with and can shoot very well....

a rifle without a brake of questionable caliber he can shoot well....

a rifle in a good caliber, without brake, that he is scared of and has only shot 10 times....

None of the above.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Then they won't be a guide very long.....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RVB
I had the range to myself once and was shooting my model 70 in 300WM that has the ported boss. I came back to the bench after checking a target, noticed I had one more shell from a box, and decided to throw the last one at the 500 m gong.

Well, holy [bleep]! I damn near shat myself as I had forgot to put my muffs back on! If anyone has a non ported one laying around I will buy it......

Had a similar situation about 15 years ago. Savage 7RM with the adjustable on/off brake. Shooting off the hood of my truck. Walked back from checking the target. Forgot to put the muffs back on. Blast from the first round "bounced" off the windshield into my left ear. HURT for several days. Now have 10% additional hearing deficit in my left ear versus right. Attributable to one pull of the trigger, with a brake, without hearing protection.

My fault ? Of course, I screwed up... But vowed never again. Rifle went down the road. No future plans for anything that requires a brake. Not knocking the guys that do. But, won't risk another incident on my part...

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Hardly. The guide would rather see a guy with an un-braked rifle, in a good chambering, that he's practised with and can shoot. You left that out.

It's not rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I suppose this guide is smart enough to put his dam fingers in his ears one time.....maybe not

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I suppose none of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I suppose none of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

smokepole;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing well.

Since we've wandered off the road and into the weeds a wee bit on the thread, I thought I'd offer the perspective of most if not all of the guides I know here in BC/Yukon.

If they are guiding a client for a non-dangerous animal such as sheep, then it's possible to work around a rifle with a brake a bit easier. The exception is that some brakes will toss up a fair bit of debris on prone shots and as some have suggested the guide will need to take precautions - ear plugs usually - before the client shoots.

Sheep usually give the hunter/guide some leeway with time - whitetails, elk and moose less so and then there is bears.

IF the hunter is after bears then the guides tend to be less than thrilled with braked rifles because bear hunting/bear shooting often needs to happen in a timely fashion - or a great big hurry..... wink

We have a good friend who had hearing damage inflicted by a braked .340 Weatherby. While I can't recall all the details right now, I have waded into the shin tangle a time or three to root out a bear and can't recall having the time to plug my ears.

Truly if it was my hunter I'd do everything I could to handcuff him to a tree or the boat and extricate the bear solo - seems like the safe approach to me - but I also am cognizant that some hunters/clients can't be easily swayed.....

Anyway sir, just a few random thoughts that were shared with me over many years and cups of coffee. For what it's worth and all that.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hardly. The guide would rather see a guy with an un-braked rifle, in a good chambering, that he's practised with and can shoot. You left that out.

It's not rocket science.

The guide works for the shooter..... he doesn't tell the shooter how or what to shoot.

I'd far rather hunt with a set of banded plugs on my hat, and throw them on prior to a shot (about .5 seconds worth of work).... then watch a 'client' pound a critter with a well placed shot..... than not worry about muzzle blast, but have to track a gut-shot critter through 2 miles of schitt.

Clients pay guides, so they don't get to make those decisions. I don't own a braked rifle.... and I don't ever see paying a guide.... but if I were so inclined, I'd not book with any guide who told me what I could or couldn't shoot. Find me a critter.... I'll handle the gun work.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is hilarious, come full circle often? You're the one who brought up what a guide would prefer, not me.

Now you're saying the guide has no say in the decision.

Do you think you can win this argument with yourself?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing well.

Same to you Dwayne. Hoping to see some photos of your deer hunt this year.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You answered with 'none of the above'.... which means you have a reading comprehension problem..... so I stated it on another way.

The guide doesn't have a choice..... hence the use of the word PREFER.

I agree with you.... any guide would PREFER a dude with a un-braked rifle that sounded like a mouse fart.... with the shooting ability of Pat or Burns... but alas, both are incredibly unlikely. So.... if they don't get an excellent shooter running a 'quiet' rifle.... there are only the above other 3 options.... which of those three.... do you think they PREFER?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.... there are only the above other 3 options.... which of those three.... do you think they PREFER?

So, a competent shooter with a good cartridge and a rifle with no brake is rare in your world?

But to answer your question, I think you were right: "Clients pay guides, so they don't get to make those decisions."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The more I see people shoot.... the more I'm convinced a competent shooter with a big game rifle is rare.

A guide can do something to protect their hearing.... they can't do anything about schitty shooting. I tend to lean toward making sure bullets go the right place.... the rest of it can be worked out.

For the record.... I hate brakes.... it's not my ears they hurt, it's my face. Shooting big braked rifles will give me gnarly sinus headaches.... due to the pressure wave impacting the mastoid cavity. This can also damage hearing.... even with plugs and muffs on.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Odd I have shot thousands of shots from rifles wearing a break

From simple magna port to the complex brake I build and use

I have yet to feel anything on my face from behind the trigger

Not popular in the US but the moderator is a tool I will be using more and more in the future

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Odd I have shot thousands of shots from rifles wearing a break

From simple magna port to the complex brake I build and use

I have yet to feel anything on my face from behind the trigger

Not popular in the US but the moderator is a tool I will be using more and more in the future

Ever tried to sit at the next bench in a normal shooting position and let someone fire your rifle?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ever shoot a rifle someplace other than a 'bench'?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use brakes on some of my rifles.

I've also sat beside braked rifles on the commercial covered range (in a previous life). Yes they are loud in that situation.

I've never bitched about it though. To me it's just part of the sport. Rifles are loud.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever shoot a rifle someplace other than a 'bench'?

Been know to happen. grin
Now tell me how that applies to this discussion.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.