Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Mossberg 4X4 in .270 that shoots really well, low recoil too due to the muzzle break that was on the barrel when I bought it new. It is also very accurate and I hand load for it.

When I had my AR-15 I would shoot both of them at my local range and could tell the muzzle breaks on both of them were annoying the shooters to my side. I often find the AR-15's of other shooters unpleasant to be near as well.

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a brake that was fit to stand off to the side of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The break I run would kill a guy's hearing standing to the left or right

Big yes.......but it flat reduces jump

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have someone shoot your 270 while you stand next to it. Your question will be answered in one ear splitting, horrible experience.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they are loud. I was given a browning a bolt with a boss system. That thing was so obnoxious I took it off and wrapped some electrical tape around the threads. Groups opened up about a qtr inch without it on at 100. I put a low powered luey on it and use it as a woods rifle now.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That's why they made the CR for the BOSS...no ports. I think I have a spare in a drawer for if I find another classic with a BOSS.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
YES !

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My suggestion is to find something that you can shoot comfortably, without a muzzle break. They are definitely annoying to other shooters, at the range, and guides in the field.

A .270 should not need a break.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True most CF rifles don't "need" a break

I use one to eliminate muzzle jump. This also takes away felt recoil.......

I dont shoot at a range or use a guide......

With my break I can see bullet impacts down range through the scope....Imposible without a very good break or moderatoreThis is a good thing

My next toy just might be a large moderator

This old dog used to think there was no use for either.....I learned

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by donsm70
My suggestion is to find something that you can shoot comfortably, without a muzzle break. They are definitely annoying to other shooters, at the range, and guides in the field.

donsm70

Great suggestion!

The 270 can also be loaded with lighter bullets. 85 tsxs work great on antelope and deer sized game when loaded to 3200 fps or so.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't begin to understand why any healthy person would need a brake on a 270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Health has zero to do with using a break or moderator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Health has zero to do with using a break or moderator

OK. let me rephrase
What kind of girly man needs a brake on a 270?
And BTW It's BRAKE not break

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, 270s don't kick at all. Real men don't use recoil pads, favoring metal butt plates. Real men also think hearing protection is for puzzies. whistle

I don't blame the OP for wanting less recoil, but a muzzle brake is a poor way to go about it. Lighter loads and a good recoil pad will do worlds of help, instead of increasing muzzle blast and the subsequent negative effects on the shooter's hearing such is done with a brake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Full force loads and a moderator would be ideal

The brake I use is a poor mans means to ZERO muzzle lift.....

Like I said before.....this allows you to see bullet impact through the scope

Some old dogs actually can learn new tricks......I learned that a moderator is a great tool for a hunter not just a tacticool toy

H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Can I use rubber wraps or electrical tape to cover up the ports and do the job of reducing the blast to the side if the range is busy with guys to my right and left? The break is torqued on pretty good and I like having it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is always a pfhukking RIOT,as it's some drooling dumbpfhukk,trying to tell another drooling dumbpfhukk how "grate" "breaks" are. Laffin'!

That conversation is always an expose on schit chamberings,schit boolits and Imaginary Pretend "results",by The Window Licking Faction. It always culminates in LR "satisfactions",garnered by schit rifles,wearing schit mounting systems,schit glass and the Vagenius trumpeting same,being totally devoid a first pfhukking clue. Let's HOPE for a Haybale & Crockett "vindication" Hero Pic. Laffin'!

Now it's taken even further with "Break Torque" and Rubber Bands...which places the Hilarity Quotient into the pfhukking stratosphere! Congratulations?!?

Conjoin that Dumbpfhukkery with the Holly Hobby Lego "Break" and one has to wear a seatbelt to read this AMAZING Stupidity,to keep from falling out of the pfhukking chair,from laughing so hard. WOW!!!

Then take it a notch further and sprinkle more STUPIDITY copiously,by making mention how this is a "learned" decision based on "experience".

I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooooooooooo pfhukking hard!!!!

Throw ALL Of your JipJap Fluff offa pfhukking cliff,wash your hands in bleach and forget ALL notions of "Break" Turd Polishing and simply procure a gawdammned rifle of repute,that fits,is twisted and throated right,of the case capacity you can handle,then fling meaningful boolits of meaningful BC at meaningful speeds and be AMAZED how great things happen by literal default. Read that again. Now once more. Hint. PS and by the way...it's called a "243Win",Google it. Laffin'!

Or perhaps you Dumbpfhukkers will feel compelled to wax eloquent,on even more of your Goat Pfhukk's "particulars" and go obliviously for the Comedic Jugular?!? Oh I soooooooooooooooo HOPE!

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just me, but I'd trade off a 270 for a 243 if recoil was an issue. If I had to see impacts, I'd shoot a .224 something or build a chunk.

Muzzle blast is far more annoying than recoil IMO.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Muzzle brakes are the devil IMO. They are terribly annoying to anyone remotely near you at the range, and downright dangerous in a field or hunting situation to anyone near the muzzle when you touch it off. If you are shooting a caliber that you cannot handle the recoil from without a muzzle brake, then you need to shoot a lesser recoiling caliber, IMHO. If I was a guide I'd not allow a rifle with a muzzle brake in my camp. I feel for those guys!

I hunt big game with an FN Win 70 EW in 338WM without a muzzle brake and I only shoot 250g NP's in it. This is not bravado but only to make a point� I only feel the recoil at the bench, and limit my range sessions to under 20 rounds max on a good day. In the field, I NEVER even feel it go off quite frankly.

If you have to at least put a removable brake on that .270 and take it off for hunting. I think you can get systems that allows you to remove the brake and replace it with a cap that keeps the POI the same from range (brake) to field (no brake).

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
This schit is always a pfhukking RIOT,as it's some drooling dumbpfhukk,trying to tell another drooling dumbpfhukk how "grate" "breaks" are. Laffin'!

That conversation is always an expose on schit chamberings,schit boolits and Imaginary Pretend "results",by The Window Licking Faction. It always culminates in LR "satisfactions",garnered by schit rifles,wearing schit mounting systems,schit glass and the Vagenius trumpeting same,being totally devoid a first pfhukking clue. Let's HOPE for a Haybale & Crockett "vindication" Hero Pic. Laffin'!

Now it's taken even further with "Break Torque" and Rubber Bands...which places the Hilarity Quotient into the pfhukking stratosphere! Congratulations?!?

Conjoin that Dumbpfhukkery with the Holly Hobby Lego "Break" and one has to wear a seatbelt to read this AMAZING Stupidity,to keep from falling out of the pfhukking chair,from laughing so hard. WOW!!!

Then take it a notch further and sprinkle more STUPIDITY copiously,by making mention how this is a "learned" decision based on "experience".

Throw ALL Of your JipJap Fluff offa pfhukking cliff,wash your hands in bleach and forget ALL notions of "Break" Turd Polishing and simply procure a gawdammned rifle of repute,that fits,is twisted and throated right,of the case capacity you can handle,then fling meaningful boolits of meaningful BC at meaningful speeds and be AMAZED how great things happen by literal default. Read that again. Now once more. Hint. PS and by the way...it's called a "243Win",Google it. Laffin'!

Or perhaps you Dumbpfhukkers will feel compelled to wax eloquent,on even more of your Goat Pfhukk's "particulars" and go obliviously for the Comedic Jugular?!? Oh I soooooooooooooooo HOPE!

Thank me later.

Hint.

Classic on many levels. This needs to be saved. TFF and TF true at the same time.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Muzzle blast rocks!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it live or Memorex

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

+1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by HE112
.....low recoil too due to the muzzle break...

Brake, NOT break.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Brake, NOT break.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spit coffee on that one

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the range to myself once and was shooting my model 70 in 300WM that has the ported boss. I came back to the bench after checking a target, noticed I had one more shell from a box, and decided to throw the last one at the 500 m gong.

Well, holy [bleep]! I damn near shat myself as I had forgot to put my muffs back on! If anyone has a non ported one laying around I will buy it......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer

Thank me later.

Hint.

Tell us how you really feel. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Mossberg 4X4 in .270 that shoots really well, low recoil too due to the muzzle break that was on the barrel when I bought it new. It is also very accurate and I hand load for it.

When I had my AR-15 I would shoot both of them at my local range and could tell the muzzle breaks on both of them were annoying the shooters to my side. I often find the AR-15's of other shooters unpleasant to be near as well.

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

The way a brake works is by directing most of the muzzle blast to the side. When you put a break on a rifle, you will be direction more muzzle blast to shooters on either side of you than you would with an unbraked rifle, it's just the way it works.

I don't so much mind the noise as I wear plugs and muffs, but I find the blast from a break akin to a small concussive grenade and hence rather unsettling when you're trying to concentrate on your shot.

The intensity of that concussive blast depends on the chambering of the rifle and the design of the brake. The absolute worst rifle I had fired next to me was a 30-378 Weatherby. The blast was so bad instead of shooting during my lunch time range session I ended up BS'n with a buddy and packed my stuff up without firing a shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never used a brake and don't plan to do so, however Gentry claims that their brake directs gases (and noise) forward and not to the side. I don't know how this works, but if you feel you absolutely need or want a muzzle brake, you might take a look at Gentry's offering.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one braked rifle, purchased before I knew better, in 338-378.
It would blow soft drink cans off benches next to me and set off car alarms in the parking lot.
I sold it cheap.
Never again will I have something like that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Brake, NOT break.

[Linked Image]

Was the guy who proofread Hitler's speeches the first grammar Nazi?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mudhen,

The Gentry brake reduces the noise level about like blocking every 10th word from Rosie O'Donnell's mouth reduces the annoyance level.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mudhen,

The Gentry brake reduces the noise level about like blocking every 10th word from Rosie O'Donnell's mouth reduces the annoyance level.
Good to know. Thanks!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Dumbest thing I've ever done to a rifle--and my ears-- was to put a brake on a lightweight 270.

A Decellerator pad works better than a brake anyway....and cheaper to boot.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Yes, your .270 is likely every bit as bad as the .308 in side blast. I personally wouldn't shoot a braked rifle next to anyone at a range.

Two of my rifles are braked and they are LOUD. They're my 6mmBR and my 22-250 that I use for prairie dog hunting. I don't have them on there because I'm a recoil puss or anything like that (my .375 H&H is unbraked), I have them on there because I can watch the bullet impact through the 20X scopes with the brakes. Call me twisted but I like watching the PD's flip/flop/explode through the scope and the brakes let me do that. The guys screaming that there's never a reason for a brake are full of BS, wanting one is a good enough reason. They have their place just like anything else. You've gotta use some sense with them though. Don't shoot with them at a range unless you're alone, fortunately I don't have to shoot at a public range so that isn't a problem for me. Make sure you have good hearing protection, I use ear plugs plus muffs when I shoot them. It's nice to be able to go through 100 rounds and not even feel it in your shoulder.

A decellerator pad does not reduce recoil better than a brake, not even close.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have several braked rifles I take to the public range. I tell people setting up beside me I'am shooting a braked rifle and nobody to date gave a $hit. They put on their ear protection like they should on a firing line and went about their busniess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle breaks on rifles, are they all harsh to the person on the side?

No. It depends on the cartridge and the load being fired and the brake design.

I've sat two tables over from a guy with a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun and ended up with hot powder down my neck. Definitely annoying, never mind the blast. I've also had items blown off my table by brakes on the table next to me. Definitely VERY annoying - so much so I called a cease fire until the gent moved away. (I was there first, he went to an end table.)

In general, also yes. When high pressure centerfire loads are fired the people to the side catch most of the blast. Not so much the person behind the trigger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I certainly get annoyed when someone with a Brake on an AR sets up to my left and bangs away with it as fast as they can.....

so a 270 must be all the worst....

years ago, a buddy bought a Model 70 in a 300 Win Mag with a Boss, because that is what his grand dad told him to buy... then he asked me to zero it for him, since he had 'trouble' with the recoil on it...

I had the same rifle in 30/06, with a Boss on it.. but also had one of the NON Vented BOSS I could spin on, which I did at the range...

he had picked up some factory 180 Win Mag Remington Ammo... and I had some 180 grain Rem 06 ammo...

we were the only two at that range over in Bend... I was surprised that the 300 Mag seemed to kick less with the BOSS on it than the 30/06 did... Grannis fired both rifles and felt the same way....so he was happy with his purchase...and the 4 x 16 scope on top his grand dad had told him to get also.....

I put the CR Boss on my 06 and let him fire that... he didn't like the 'recoil' off of that at all....

put another barrel on that rifle, although I still have that barrel in the closet.. also bought a 270 with it on there...

I really don't notice that much recoil reduction with the Boss on the 270... I left it on there for when I hunt with it... but will put the CR Boss on it when I go to the range...

its just a common courtesy to me... and I think guys who have Muzzle Brakes on a rifle and just set up and start banging away, and care less about anyone else there are just self centered asssses...

I am not a nice guy when someone to my left has rapidly shot his AR with a Brake on it, along with showering me with the brass as it ejected...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All of my rifles have brakes on them.I do this because I have arthritis in my shoulders and back.When I go to the range to shoot my rifles I shoot a round about every 8-10 minutes.If the people around me do not wear adequate ear protection,that is not my problem.I do not go out of my way to be a problem at the range.I just shoot at what bench they tell me to go to and that is it.I really like seeing exactly where my bullet hits the animal or target without loosing my eye picture.
If you don't like it tell the range master and he can handle it.Just because you do not like them does not mean I should not have them or be allowed to shoot my rifles in.I try to be considerate to others but there is a limit to that if they are rude and start shooting there mouth off.
I am not a self centered ass,but you sure sound like 1.

Last edited by crittergetter; 09/19/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crittergetter
Just because you do not like them does not mean I should not have them or be allowed to shoot my rifles in.I try to be considerate to others but there is a limit to that if they are rude and start shooting there mouth off.

"Just because you don't like them?"

He's not the only one who doesn't like 'em. They're obnoxious.

Ever heard of the golden rule?

You want to talk about someone shooting their mouth off, while you're doing something akin to it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
GOLDEN RULE IS ONLY IN MINDS LIKE YOURS.THEY ARE NOT OBNOXIOUS,YOU DO NOT LIKE THEM WELL BIG FRIGGIN WHOOP,THE SUN WILL STILL RISE IN THE MORNING AND SET IN THE EVENING AND LIFE WILL STILL GO ON.JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT LIKE THEM,WHO FRIGGIN CARES.I WILL NOT LOSE 1 SECOND OF SLEEP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inconsiderate people are not known for losing sleep over the problems they cause others.
Betting you hunt alone too.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tracks
Inconsiderate people are not known for losing sleep over the problems they cause others.

This.

Although sometimes it's hard to tell the diff between clueless vs inconsiderate........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Inconsiderate people also tend to tell others what to do.... what's "obnoxious"... and sell other peoples rights (and eventually their own) down the river because they think they're correct.

Brakes have their place.... if it's next to you at a range.... then move. Pretty easy to avoid them.... by not going to the 'range'. The only guys I know that regularly shoot at a covered range..... typically shoot their mouths much better than their rifles....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just because someone sends you to a particular table and a lack of sensitivity on your part does not mean you are not being inconsiderate of others.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/19/14.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Harley's are loud.... I hate when one pulls up next to me at a red light.... then puts the 168 decibel hammer down when he takes off. We should ban all loud motorcycles at stoplights..... and make sure we ostracize all of the 'loud pipes save lives' crowd.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WTF said anything about banning anything?

Read the subject line, I (and others) answered the OP's question.

If the OP had asked whether people thought Harleys were obnoxious, how would you have answered that?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I WILL NOT LOSE 1 SECOND OF SLEEP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK.

Good, because it sounds like you need more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only brake I've owned came on a 16" AR10. Trust me, a .308 is one annoying beast with a brake, and I expect a .270 to be worse since you're burning another 15 grains of powder.

Before I had the brake removed, the 10 would usually empty benches next to me. I also had a spotting scope on the bench, on top of a small tripod, and I was informed it was jumping slightly in the air with each shot smile

I'd rather deal with recoil, than a brake.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If I'm not in a war firing a 50 BMG or 20MM I'll drop down in rifle power if I cant handle what I'm shooting without deafening myself and others, guides etc etc.

Shooting a hunting rifle with a brake is like watching a wanna be badass looking at underwear at wal mart while drinking from a straw. crazy

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Inconsiderate people also tend to tell others what to do.... what's "obnoxious"... and sell other peoples rights (and eventually their own) down the river because they think they're correct.

Brakes have their place.... if it's next to you at a range.... then move. Pretty easy to avoid them.... by not going to the 'range'. The only guys I know that regularly shoot at a covered range..... typically shoot their mouths much better than their rifles....

Hell yeah!

But like I said 5 pages ago they have a place and are a great tool for those who wish to control muzzle lift......and actually see shot placement at impact

hmmm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hell yeah!

But like I said 5 pages ago they have a place and are a great tool for those who wish to control muzzle lift......and actually see shot placement at impact.....but not all brakes are the same

hmmm

Add to this the moderator another great tool that lends to accuracy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GOLDEN RULE IS ONLY IN MINDS LIKE YOURS.THEY ARE NOT OBNOXIOUS,YOU DO NOT LIKE THEM WELL BIG FRIGGIN WHOOP,THE SUN WILL STILL RISE IN THE MORNING AND SET IN THE EVENING AND LIFE WILL STILL GO ON.JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT LIKE THEM,WHO FRIGGIN CARES.I WILL NOT LOSE 1 SECOND OF SLEEP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK.

You sound like a standup guy...................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't shoot on covered ranges, or commercial ranges, so courtesies are not an issue.

If I did go to a covered range, I'd set up a 300 WinMag with a 16" barrel, and a JP Tank Brake.......just to be a dickhead......grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, that'd get you there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll admit that I had a lot of fun with my braked rifle back when I was working to become a [bleep]. Unlike others, that talent didn't come easy.
However now that I have the talent fully developed I no longer need such artificial aids.
I wonder why so many of you who have your talent much more developed continue to use them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny....never a shortage of those who fail to see the forest because of the trees

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Like I said before if you do not wear adequate ear protection,it is not my problem.All of mine have 11-17 degree holes drilled at a forward angle to make the noise go forward and I do not shoot under cover at my range.I'm not being inconsiderate of others.I still go where the range master tells me to.If you do not like it so be it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Myself......I don't use the "range"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Would a guide rather have a guy show up in camp with:

a braked rifle in a good caliber for game at hand, he is well practiced with and can shoot very well....

a rifle without a brake of questionable caliber he can shoot well....

a rifle in a good caliber, without brake, that he is scared of and has only shot 10 times....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like I said before if you do not wear adequate ear protection,it is not my problem.All of mine have 11-17 degree holes drilled at a forward angle to make the noise go forward and I do not shoot under cover at my range.I'm not being inconsiderate of others.I still go where the range master tells me to.If you do not like it so be it.

It's not just about ear protection. Often times I double up with ear plugs and over the ear muffs. While my eardrums are OK, the incoming pressure wave slap from a bench over is still an annoyance.

It is also interesting how brakes vary in obnoxiousness. I've shared the range with a 338 Lapua shooter, and his braked rig didn't seem too bad at all. A typical bad offender is a short barreled 223. The worst I've been around was a 30-378 Wby. with a Swiss cheese brake.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Would a guide rather have a guy show up in camp with:

a braked rifle in a good caliber for game at hand, he is well practiced with and can shoot very well....

a rifle without a brake of questionable caliber he can shoot well....

a rifle in a good caliber, without brake, that he is scared of and has only shot 10 times....

None of the above.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Then they won't be a guide very long.....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RVB
I had the range to myself once and was shooting my model 70 in 300WM that has the ported boss. I came back to the bench after checking a target, noticed I had one more shell from a box, and decided to throw the last one at the 500 m gong.

Well, holy [bleep]! I damn near shat myself as I had forgot to put my muffs back on! If anyone has a non ported one laying around I will buy it......

Had a similar situation about 15 years ago. Savage 7RM with the adjustable on/off brake. Shooting off the hood of my truck. Walked back from checking the target. Forgot to put the muffs back on. Blast from the first round "bounced" off the windshield into my left ear. HURT for several days. Now have 10% additional hearing deficit in my left ear versus right. Attributable to one pull of the trigger, with a brake, without hearing protection.

My fault ? Of course, I screwed up... But vowed never again. Rifle went down the road. No future plans for anything that requires a brake. Not knocking the guys that do. But, won't risk another incident on my part...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Hardly. The guide would rather see a guy with an un-braked rifle, in a good chambering, that he's practised with and can shoot. You left that out.

It's not rocket science.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suppose this guide is smart enough to put his dam fingers in his ears one time.....maybe not

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I suppose none of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I suppose none of this has anything to do with the OP's question.

smokepole;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing well.

Since we've wandered off the road and into the weeds a wee bit on the thread, I thought I'd offer the perspective of most if not all of the guides I know here in BC/Yukon.

If they are guiding a client for a non-dangerous animal such as sheep, then it's possible to work around a rifle with a brake a bit easier. The exception is that some brakes will toss up a fair bit of debris on prone shots and as some have suggested the guide will need to take precautions - ear plugs usually - before the client shoots.

Sheep usually give the hunter/guide some leeway with time - whitetails, elk and moose less so and then there is bears.

IF the hunter is after bears then the guides tend to be less than thrilled with braked rifles because bear hunting/bear shooting often needs to happen in a timely fashion - or a great big hurry..... wink

We have a good friend who had hearing damage inflicted by a braked .340 Weatherby. While I can't recall all the details right now, I have waded into the shin tangle a time or three to root out a bear and can't recall having the time to plug my ears.

Truly if it was my hunter I'd do everything I could to handcuff him to a tree or the boat and extricate the bear solo - seems like the safe approach to me - but I also am cognizant that some hunters/clients can't be easily swayed.....

Anyway sir, just a few random thoughts that were shared with me over many years and cups of coffee. For what it's worth and all that.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hardly. The guide would rather see a guy with an un-braked rifle, in a good chambering, that he's practised with and can shoot. You left that out.

It's not rocket science.

The guide works for the shooter..... he doesn't tell the shooter how or what to shoot.

I'd far rather hunt with a set of banded plugs on my hat, and throw them on prior to a shot (about .5 seconds worth of work).... then watch a 'client' pound a critter with a well placed shot..... than not worry about muzzle blast, but have to track a gut-shot critter through 2 miles of schitt.

Clients pay guides, so they don't get to make those decisions. I don't own a braked rifle.... and I don't ever see paying a guide.... but if I were so inclined, I'd not book with any guide who told me what I could or couldn't shoot. Find me a critter.... I'll handle the gun work.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is hilarious, come full circle often? You're the one who brought up what a guide would prefer, not me.

Now you're saying the guide has no say in the decision.

Do you think you can win this argument with yourself?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours doing well.

Same to you Dwayne. Hoping to see some photos of your deer hunt this year.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You answered with 'none of the above'.... which means you have a reading comprehension problem..... so I stated it on another way.

The guide doesn't have a choice..... hence the use of the word PREFER.

I agree with you.... any guide would PREFER a dude with a un-braked rifle that sounded like a mouse fart.... with the shooting ability of Pat or Burns... but alas, both are incredibly unlikely. So.... if they don't get an excellent shooter running a 'quiet' rifle.... there are only the above other 3 options.... which of those three.... do you think they PREFER?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.... there are only the above other 3 options.... which of those three.... do you think they PREFER?

So, a competent shooter with a good cartridge and a rifle with no brake is rare in your world?

But to answer your question, I think you were right: "Clients pay guides, so they don't get to make those decisions."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The more I see people shoot.... the more I'm convinced a competent shooter with a big game rifle is rare.

A guide can do something to protect their hearing.... they can't do anything about schitty shooting. I tend to lean toward making sure bullets go the right place.... the rest of it can be worked out.

For the record.... I hate brakes.... it's not my ears they hurt, it's my face. Shooting big braked rifles will give me gnarly sinus headaches.... due to the pressure wave impacting the mastoid cavity. This can also damage hearing.... even with plugs and muffs on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Odd I have shot thousands of shots from rifles wearing a break

From simple magna port to the complex brake I build and use

I have yet to feel anything on my face from behind the trigger

Not popular in the US but the moderator is a tool I will be using more and more in the future

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not popular in the US but the moderator is a tool I will be using more and more in the future

Ever tried to sit at the next bench in a normal shooting position and let someone fire your rifle?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ever shoot a rifle someplace other than a 'bench'?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use brakes on some of my rifles.

I've also sat beside braked rifles on the commercial covered range (in a previous life). Yes they are loud in that situation.

I've never bitched about it though. To me it's just part of the sport. Rifles are loud.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Been know to happen. grin
Now tell me how that applies to this discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I use brakes on some of my rifles.

I've also sat beside braked rifles on the commercial covered range (in a previous life). Yes they are loud in that situation.

I've never bitched about it though. To me it's just part of the sport. Rifles are loud.

I agree and have at times been the offender.
My interest in this thread is only to offer opinions.
At my range I seldom see more than two of three people and have my choice of four ranges at different distances. I don't let people bother me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Been know to happen. grin
Now tell me how that applies to this discussion.

What happens on the 'bench'.... is only about 1% of rifle usefulness. Who gives a schitt what a rifle does at the bench? What matters is in the field. Bitching about braked rifles being loud at the bench.... is like bitching that your car has a lot of road noise when it's idling in the garage....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ever tried to sit at the next bench in a normal shooting position and let someone fire your rifle?

My range.....nor a range "boss" or any jagov's in sight

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now that would be funny

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 10 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.