Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just came back from an Elk hunt and my hunting partners took 87 and 110 yard shots on Elk, both resulted in lost animals. The 87 yard shot he found his animal 5 days later. Total loss except the antlers. The 110 yard hit just ahead of shoulder , left the hunt area after 5 hrs of searching. I passed on shots like described , my self imposed limit was 60 yards and no opportunities presented themselves within that limit. 75,80,90 and a 375 bull at 100.
Needless to say I'm just sick at the outcome . What do you think.
Today there was an advertisement for a bow sight company pushing their 100 yard sight and the new opportunities now open to those that buy their sight.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think someone needs to take your friend's bows, and beat the owners over the head with said bows until they gain some sense.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Time to find new partners...sounds like you had a less than pleasant trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
50 yards is my self imposed Max Limit. Personally, I think it is my responsability as a hunter & sportsman to do my best to make a killing shot or no shot at all.
The LAST thing I want to do is wound and lose such a magnificent animal as an Elk! And if I go home empty handed, we'll then that's just part of the Hunt.

Lots of guys out there today that think that the newest, fastest, latest, Bow enables them to shoot an Elk at Any Range! And with all the variables involved on taking an elk, there are only a few guys who are truly qualified to make that shot in a perfect situation.
Hell, I can hit a hay bail 5 out of 6 times with my Matthews Compound Bow, at 75 yards, but that doesn't mean I can make a killing shot on an Elk at that distance!
There are just too many variables involved with the shooter, weather, wind, animal alertness, equipment, arrow flight, ect that can turn a long range archery shot into a disaster.

I don't know your hunting buddy from Adam, but it sounds to me like he is the type of "shooter" that gives the rest of us Hunters a really bad rap. Not to mention that his hunt should have legally been over after he wounded the first Elk on his hunt. To me, it was unethical, and very disrespectful to the Elk & other Hunters.

I know that animals get wounded and get away sometimes, even when you do everything right, and that's just part of Bow Hunting.
But a real hunter has a Responsability to the animal & other hunters to make sure he is only taking a good shot within his skill set levels, and not just slinging arrows because you can!
JMO, but I think most here on the Fire would agree!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/15/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes! Disgusted is the definition of my hunt. Still looking for words to say to my friend.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by sidepass
Just came back from an Elk hunt and my hunting partners took 87 and 110 yard shots on Elk, both resulted in lost animals. The 87 yard shot he found his animal 5 days later. Total loss except the antlers. The 110 yard hit just ahead of shoulder , left the hunt area after 5 hrs of searching. I passed on shots like described , my self imposed limit was 60 yards and no opportunities presented themselves within that limit. 75,80,90 and a 375 bull at 100.
Needless to say I'm just sick at the outcome . What do you think.
Today there was an advertisement for a bow sight company pushing their 100 yard sight and the new opportunities now open to those that buy their sight.

I think you are an ethical and responsible hunter but your buddies...not so much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sidepass
Yes! Disgusted is the definition of my hunt. Still looking for words to say to my friend.

I would be too! That kind of BS ruins the hunt for everyone involved!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GFY may be a good place to start. Wonder where they learn to take such unethical shots from? Could it be the TV guys? I have seen a few connect on some long shots. But it's certainly not something I'd try. 50 yds. Thats my absolute max

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I think someone needs to take your friend's bows, and beat the owners over the head with said bows until they gain some sense.

^^^ This!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Chit like that will end bowhunting.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crappy bowhunters are what we call guys that shoot over about 50 yards.........I agree, break that bow over their heads.

It's ok if the elk win sometimes.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm always confused at when archery became long range hunting?

Archery is an amazing and enjoyable event when you can get so close you smell the animal and see it's eyes blink.

The entire satisfaction of archery is how close you get, not how far you shoot. Even if somebody connects on a 80 yard shot, it's not impressive at all. How many did he take/miss/wound before that one was successful?

The guy that tells me he was 12-25 yards and made the shot is the real hunter and the serious bowman. That's hunting!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very hard to put a number on it.

You not taking a shot at the 375 bull at 100 yards might be the way to start the conversation.

Also - show them the "A perfect morning" thread, where scenarshooter relates, how he got a hippo of an elk with a longbow at 8 yards just know. Show them the thread, where the same guy cleanly takes a grizzly at longrange with "just" a .260 Rem (IIRC).

Tell them that its not bragging, if one can do it and only then.

Tell them, that an animal lost, even if found later, entitles partner to go and have words.

Give them the benefit of the doubt and show them the right way - practice, patience, self restraint (remember the 375 bull at 100).

Tell them to confince you, that they will take that way from now on.

A step astray, tell them to GFT.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save the breath, I'd just start with GFY personally.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Funny thing or not so funny only 4 of 16 question the shot on MM. The rest praise the rack. More to a trophy than horns.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I practice out to 60 but only feel comfortable taking a max 40 yard shot. Really want to get within 30 yards with the help of Nose Jammer :-)

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My self-imposed limit on elk is about 25 yards with my recurve. Back when I shot compounds it was about 40.

Flinging arrows at 100 yards is ridiculous and just plain reckless. Too much can happen at that range, almost all of it bad.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Went on a Gila elk hunt with my BIL many years ago. Was watching as he heart shot this bull at 75 yards. It laid down and died right there. I wasn't too sure what to think of that since it was my first archery hunt.
A couple weeks later, on an archery antelope hunt he shoots a buck running flat out at 45 yards. The buck piled up right there. Needless to say we all had to give praise to "the master". Was the most amazing shooting I had ever seen.
Fast forward a couple years. We are at a party having too much to drink. My BIL commented, "You remember that running antelope I shot? Well, I was aiming at the one in front of it."
Point is, long shots or moving shots are a stunt. You are very lucky if things go well.
John

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys . Can not depend on luck and shouldn't. And it almost always ends up bad.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
25/50 MAX rule for us
25 yds traditional
50 yds compound

20/40 is actually better. I personally prefer slam dunks (under 20 yds) to half court shots.

Truth be known, anything past that distance the missed/wounding rate soars.

Archer accuracy is not the entire issue.
The arrow is just in the air too long no matter how accurate the shooter. Anything over 0.4-0.5 seconds of arrow flight from release to impact has a much greater chance for a problem. Half second is an eternity when it comes to arrow flight and animal movement.

(example: 300fps compound bow+50yd shot=0.5 seconds of arrow flight)

A foam target has never taken a step at the release.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.