Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
change is not always for the better

Change, in and of itself is neutral. Those of us that have to live through it are the ones that have to decide whether it was good or bad. It's a lot like "progress." Progress is. It's effect on us is up to us to decide.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

GB1

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well said... and very true, Skid... smile

How can someone who hasn't live through it make ANY determination at all as to whether or not the change or changes which have occurred are for the "better" or "worse" since they have no REAL experience in the matter, but can only read someone else's opinions or be told by another their thoughts on how good or how bad the change(s) made in THEIR lives.

Naturally, one can have their own opinions, but "being there" is the ultimate and most "valid" & deciding factor.

Jus' my 2�...

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
....but they can't always remember it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
....but they can't always remember it.

That was mean.

But by this time tomorrow I will have forgotten you were mean to us old guys.

Thats the beauty of it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kind of like when the wife goes over to the 15 year old movie collection and asks, "What movie do you want to watch?" and your response is, "I don't care, I haven't seen any of them."

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/17/14.

LOL
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that's a good one, Fireball2 !~!~!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ron_T
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that's a good one, Fireball2 !~!~!

It's not funny, it happens in our house often! grin

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
saves tons of money! always new!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Ron_T
LBK...

I wrote 2 relatively long replies to your private message giving you information to help you with your loads for your .250/3000 along with the explanation why RL-15 isn't the best powder for that cartridge.

Unfortunately, when I "clicked" on the "SUBMIT" button, my messages (in both cases) simply disappeared... never to be found again. And so, after more than 2 hours of writing and re-writing a reply to your private message, I have given up.

Here is Nosler's Load Chart net address for your .250/3000 (below)... check out what powders they use and the velocities they got. The fastest load for the 100 grain bullet was a maximum load of 35.0 grains of H4895 for a muzzle velocity of 2952 fps. Nosler has indicated that this maximum load is THE MOST ACCURATE LOAD for your cartridge.

H4895 is one of Hodgdon's EXTREME powders meaning air temperature doesn't affect the performance of this powder or change the muzzle velocity it yields. I have tested this powder in my .300 Savage cartridge and found this claim to be true.

Here's the Nosler Load Chart net address: http://www.nosler.com/250-3000-savage

If you'd like to talk further about this, please send a private message with your phone number on it along with a good time to call... and I'll call you since there apparently is something wrong with my private message system.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Thanks for your time and effort, Ron. The reason for the PM was so I didn't invite clogging up a collectors forum with a reloading problem that I haven't had as yet and don't want to invite either.

To bring everyone up to speed. Yesterday I took a couple rifles out in preparation for our annual trip to Anticosti.

I shot my 1899-B in .303 Sav shooting through my chronograph and achieved a velocity of a little over 1900 fps. Winchester 190 grain factory fodder. Results were within reason to what I expected.

The BIG surprise was shooting one of my 1899 250-3000's. Again, Winchester silver box 100 grain silvertip factory. Through a chronograph. Average velocity just BARELY broke 2100 fps. I was stunned. I expected in the neighborhood of 28/2900 fps. Accuracy was about 1 1/2-2" at 100 yds. And the bullet holes showed no sign of key-holing.

I went home and started re sizing cases and pulling bullets from my factory stuff. Last year I used the factory Winchester factory in my Model 14. Admittedly I did not check in over my chronograph. I will though and report back. I'm just REALLY wondering if the 1-14" twist had anything to do with my results?

As a follow-up to this. I did in fact make up some handloads for this rifle using the same components EXCEPT for a powder charge. In using the powder I used, I also went against some very good advice. I found loads that would work using BOTH IMR as well as Hodgen 4895. I used RL-15 which I found in every recent manufacture manual I have, and I have a bunch of different manuals. The load I worked up to was a Hornady load out of their 7th edition manual. The load started at 32.1 grs and I worked up to 33.4 and settled on that. The manual claims 2800 FPS out of a 24" barrel in 1-14 twist. My 1899 250-3000 has a 22 in barrel and my average velocity was 2709 FPS and I figured the muzzle energy to be 1629 foot pounds at the muzzle. I was really quite pleased for this load and how much it out performed factory.

As an aside. This rifle will be 99 years old on November 22nd. This will be day number two of the hunt, so I make this prediction. I will kill a buck on that day with this rifle............. grin grin wink wink laugh laugh

[Linked Image]

I also decided on taking my .308 EG to the island again. I have plenty of handloads on hand for this rifle so it will help keep the work down. I fired a total of ten rounds through my chronograph. All 10 rounds were within the minute of deer kill zone. What I WAS surprised at was that a 165 grain round nose was faster than a 165 grain spire point. Both were Hornady bullets.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for the report! I have been using nothing but RL-15 in both the .250 and .300 for several years now. Velocity and accuracy are both top notch!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've found RL15 to be excellent in the 250 and 300 Savage cartridges.

It's great if you want to make a 250 a real 250-3000 with 87 grain bullets. The accuracy in my rifle is superb, and the pressure appears to be modest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up until now, I have ONLY used 87 grain pills. I bought a model 14 American Classic just to try something different. It worked OK but lacked the "explosiveness" of shooting one with that tiny little bombshell. Then with all the talk of certain bullets bullets keyholing in the 1-14 twist barrel I wanted to see for myself. I haven't fired a silvertip yet that didn't fly perfectly. I am certain that once I kill a deer with this particular rifle it will be back to my 87's and 3018 FPS.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The 25 cal 100 grain Silvertips I've had were rather blunt flat bases. It would be a likely candidate for a 100 that would work in a 1-14" barrel.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Steve (Longbeardking)...

This only goes to prove that old axiom... "Different strokes for different folks.", n'est pas, mon ami? grin

Glad you checked out those different loads and that you are completely satisfied with your old load with the 87 grain bullet. It's been very effective on deer for close to 100 years.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Nosler load with H4895 and 100 grain Ballistic Tips has been great for me too.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My load for the Model 14 250SAV is Nosler's book max H4895 with Fed 210 primer,100gr Partition, and Remington brass. The accuracy tighten up right at book max. Worked well on Anticosti last year. Nice to watch the deer drop through the scope. The 1 in 14 99F does very well with R15 and 87gr Speer. Maybe I should bring that in case LBK needs a backup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, you should. But LBK won't need no stinking back-up. I can make deer drop just being close by. The minute they even THINK there's a Savage in 250-3000 in the immediate vacinity they just line up to get shot............ grin grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got to go find my "REALLY TALL"boots now !!!!!! grin grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.