Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
.22 LR. I shoot CCI SV LR for my squirrel hunting.

maddog

GB1

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Went out yesterday am. It was absolutely beautiful out. For some reason, the squirrels weren't moving much. It got a little breezy, but I did dumb into one. By 11 am, I bagged it, the skeeters were gittin rammy!

[Linked Image]

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got back out this am. Thought it was going to be a great morning. I nailed this one in the first 15 mins. However, the wind picked up, and everything pretty much shut down. Didn't see another squirrel.

[Linked Image]

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eleven days to go here in Alabama. Big anticipation, hope it isn't a letdown like opening day of dove season was.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hope you have a great season down there! I've hunted pretty hard up here, but the weather hasn't been too cooperative. We've had over 17" of rain, at my place, since Aug. 21. Got more last night, although I'm not sure how much. Gonna hit it a couple more times this next week, because our bow season opens up on Oct. 1. You have to do a little different timing wise, when they're in the woods.

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Eleven days to go here in Alabama. Big anticipation, hope it isn't a letdown like opening day of dove season was.

Ain't it the truth. The only thing worse was the teal season. Saw more gators and cottonmouths than teal..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dove opener was the crummiest I've ever experienced. I only fired 8 rounds, killing 2 birds, and the blasted fire ants got them. It was scorching hot and I sunburned badly in spite of how I was dressed. The place I went to was Swan Creek WMA near Decatur AL, which is heavily attended on opening day, and everyone that I spoke to afterwards was highly disappointed. The fields looked great, prepared as well as they've ever been, but only a few sporadic flights of birds showed up. I was going to stay until dark in hopes of some late birds, but a thunderstorm with some seriously heavy lightning rolled in, and I left around 5:30. I want to go back at least once before the season ends, but fuel money is as sparse as the birdies were! The field on our property and neighbors adjoining field is planted in soybeans, and they're turning brown quickly, I hope I can at least have an opportunity to try my hand a few times around here before season's ending.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the beans and corn has been cut here. Lots of birds but scattered. I'm concentrating on shooting my crossbow and .22s. May shoot a few skwerls with a pistol this year. Been a long time..

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hardly anything has been harvested up in my area[later planting, cool summer, TOO much RAIN]. May be some beans go, in the next few days, as soon as the ground dries up. I've had almost 17 1/2" of rain, since Aug. 21st. Harvest is going to be way late, this year, compared to most. Won't effect the squirrel hunting, but may play hell with deer season.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Decided to bag work and go hunting, this am. Hit a new place i could finally drive to. On the way in, i saw 5 does and 3 turkeys.
Got in, and squirrels were barking all over the place. Unfortunately, they were on the other side of a creek i couldn't cross. Net result, saw three, shot at two, and nailed one. i intend to hunt that place again. Our bow season opens Oct. 1, and there are stands all over. I'll have to change up, and hunt during the week, in the middle of the day.

[Linked Image]

maddog

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maddog you'd better put up your recipe for squirrel.

I'm thinking to go out and zing some now!!
Nice pic's.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I managed to bag 2 out of the 3 I saw Monday morning.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Decided to head out this morning and give it a go, before it got too warm. Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet, this year. Hadn't been in the woods, more than 10 minutes, when I saw one scurry around a big white oak. Shot him at about 15 yds. Stayed put, and saw another, barking at me. Red headed another one, for the skillet. Moved on and heard 2-3 barking. Was watching one, and another came running down the tree I was leaning against. POW! THUD! It was on the ground, in some briars. I bent over to pick him up, and the lil booger run about 2 ft. The briars were thick, so tried to put another shot into his head. Ever try to shot a squirrel at 3 ft with a scoped .22? Not easy. I didn't want to try and step on him, and have him get away[although, after looking at him, he wasn't going far]. Sooo....three shots later, I had him in the bag. frown grin So, I got three on the stringer now, and I start heading back to the truck. Stoped to take this pic.....

[Linked Image]

....and looked up, and saw another one up a near by oak. I eased over and red headed the dude. By this time I'm heading to the truck, with four.

[Linked Image]

Looked up from the tail gate of the pickup, and saw another one up another big oak. Indiana's limit is 5/day, and this would have been my first opportunity at a limit, this year. So, I sneak up on him, and took a free hand shot....and missed! cry Dimmit!......

So I cleaned the four, and headed for home. Didn't know you could shoot that many shells through a single shot, in one outing. grin

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats man! I wish we had more fox squirrels down here!

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Mike!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by maddog
Decided to head out this morning and give it a go, before it got too warm. Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet, this year. Hadn't been in the woods, more than 10 minutes, when I saw one scurry around a big white oak. Shot him at about 15 yds. Stayed put, and saw another, barking at me. Red headed another one, for the skillet. Moved on and heard 2-3 barking. Was watching one, and another came running down the tree I was leaning against. POW! THUD! It was on the ground, in some briars. I bent over to pick him up, and the lil booger run about 2 ft. The briars were thick, so tried to put another shot into his head. Ever try to shot a squirrel at 3 ft with a scoped .22? Not easy. I didn't want to try and step on him, and have him get away[although, after looking at him, he wasn't going far]. Sooo....three shots later, I had him in the bag. frown grin So, I got three on the stringer now, and I start heading back to the truck. Stoped to take this pic.....

[Linked Image]

....and looked up, and saw another one up a near by oak. I eased over and red headed the dude. By this time I'm heading to the truck, with four.

[Linked Image]

Looked up from the tail gate of the pickup, and saw another one up another big oak. Indiana's limit is 5/day, and this would have been my first opportunity at a limit, this year. So, I sneak up on him, and took a free hand shot....and missed! cry Dimmit!......

So I cleaned the four, and headed for home. Didn't know you could shoot that many shells through a single shot, in one outing. grin

maddog

You are giving that Sportster a workout!

I normally use one of my CZ or vintage BRNO rifles for my squirrel/rabbit hunting...but you are getting me itchy to take my Sportster out in the woods again!

I did some trigger work on it about 2 years ago and it really help a bunch reducing my group sizes.

dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it's nearly here, skwerl season that is. Opens Wed but I got to go teach some rugrats. 3:00 I'm outta there and headed to the woods. Will hunt my woodlot behind my house first.
My son was in the Miss Delta this weekend teal hunting and saw some black squirrels. Will head over there and try a few of them this fall.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
You need to retire. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, get your Sportster out and bloody the dang thing! grin

The Sportster gets a few more outings, and maybe the 39a, but I'm itching to get my 10/22 out with the peep sights and give it a workout. Need to get more leaves dropped, before I'll be much good with the 10/22.

maddog

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
schoolmarm, will be anxiously waiting for some pics, come about thurs........

maddog

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.