Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Montana Man has given you a good assessment--most likely you have a "light-strike" issue going on there.

WW primers are fairly soft, so even more likely it is so.

i usually recommend Federal primers for pocket rigs--due to their low hammer mass issues, smaller springs, etc., and ultra soft primers provide some degree of mitigation for those issues.

a tired hammer spring, or a tired firing pin spring are a couple of the potential gremlins in this situation.

(just as an aside, pocket rigs are prone to getting packed with lint, and they should be dismantled regularly, and wiped clean of debris).

i've used numerous Kel-Tecs over the years, and have a lot of experience with them--in my opinion and experience, they are not built nearly as well as the Rugers, but on the other hand, they are not the "poor quality, bottom of the barrel" rigs some would have you to believe...

bottom line--know your rig and work with it/use it often...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by safariman
Good wake up call here. I will go buy some FMJ 380 ammo and test fire mine right away. All it gets for maintenence is an occasional wipe down and some squirts of oil in places of moveing contact.

My personal policy is to shoot the gun with the ammo, dust, lint, etc. as carried since the last time it was loaded, without doing any type of special maintenance, manipulation or cleaning before firing. It gives me a more valid test of what the gun can tolerate in terms of daily wear and tear, increases my knowledge base of the gun, and increases my confidence in its reliability.

This is my normal MOA as well, but Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo is horribly expensive, hard to find, and REALLY HURTS my gout filled finger joints when fired! I do fire the guns I carry 'dirty asw carried' and my RIA 10mm never bobbles. P3AT has not failed to fire and function yet either, and I have made it a point to try and make it fail.

When I first boutght the little guy, I took it out to a rock quarry in 11 degree weather with a wind chill of much lower than that. Did not clean or lube it at all, jut took it out of the box, loaded it with about 6 different kinds of ammo through the morning and it ate them all up. Since that time it has fired everything else I have put through it. It fed and fired enough of the finger killin Buffalo Bore ammo that I have fiath it will go BANG when/if I need it to.

My experience with Kel Tecs is quite good. Our bedstand gun is an SU-16. Sherri's daily carry piece is a PF-9.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Never been a big KelTec Fan, but when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, I won a little KelTec P-32 that they made me with a silver slide & bright blue frame. I dubbed it my Dallas Cowboy Saturday Night Special.
Ive carried it for over 10 years, always loaded with the Corbon +P+ 32 acp ammo.
I generally shoot out my carry ammo every 6 months and clean out all the pocket lent. Fired over 300 rounds to check reliability before I ever carried it. It's been like the Energizer Bunny of 32acp's and has never failed to fire or feed once.
It's not a handgun that I would ever carry as my primary or ONLY CH gun, but gets carried a lot as a BUG when I wear my Sunday Go To Meeting clothes.

That being said, all of my buddies that bought KelTec P-3AT's all had several issues and some made multiple trips back to the factory for repair. I've never owned one in 380, but if I was buying a Micro .380, it would Definately be a Ruger LCP. I've had numerous students in my CHL Classes quailify with the little Ruger, and they seem to function flawlessly.

Would I buy Another KelTec. ? Probably not, unless I replaced my P-32 or my PMR-30. Both of those model KelTecs function flawlessly for me. Here's a pict of my little Dallas Cowboy Special.

[Linked Image]

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The first Kel Tec I bought, a number of years back, failed to eject the first round I fired in it. The pistol was sent back, for what was called then a 'fluff and buff' job.
When I got the .380 back, I sold it that day, and have never trusted, or bought another from that company.

Sam......

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When a dead reliable (at least mine has been) Khar CW9can be had for $350 or less I cannot see why...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
When a dead reliable (at least mine has been) Khar CW9can be had for $350 or less I cannot see why...

Weight and size are the why. I have carried the CW40 as a holster piece, but I find it and its twin CW9 much too much gun for easy "drop it into the pocket and forget about it until needed" carry. Prints through most pants pockets and even sticks out a little from the top of a back pocket. And it is much heavier so causes the pants to want to droop etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
safariman,

You rather frequently comment on how petite your wife is, and how she carries a PF-9 (a very angular, easy-to-print, pistol) daily. If she can manage that, how is it that you can't manage to carry something a bit more robust than the P3AT due to difficulties of concealment and carry weight?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I won't say it wasn't partly my fault for shooting the thing every now and again. Still, it's not like the gun has had a really hard life or anything. Mostly, it has sat in a dresser drawer. I realized last night that it had been a while since I'd fired it and I'm glad I checked it out. My other handguns do get more of a regular workout and are of higher quality. Yes, I should have been shooting it more frequently, but it is also a case of "you get what you pay for".

Yep

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I won't say it wasn't partly my fault for shooting the thing every now and again. Still, it's not like the gun has had a really hard life or anything. Mostly, it has sat in a dresser drawer. I realized last night that it had been a while since I'd fired it and I'm glad I checked it out. My other handguns do get more of a regular workout and are of higher quality. Yes, I should have been shooting it more frequently, but it is also a case of "you get what you pay for".

You would've had problems with a nice 1911 too. Don't blame the Kel-Tec until you're smart enough to troubleshoot one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla

You would've had problems with a nice 1911 too.

Really ???????????? And you know that how???????????

MM

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My personal policy is to shoot the gun with the ammo, dust, lint, etc. as carried since the last time it was loaded, without doing any type of special maintenance, manipulation or cleaning before firing. It gives me a more valid test of what the gun can tolerate in terms of daily wear and tear, increases my knowledge base of the gun, and increases my confidence in its reliability.

There's nothing "special" about keeping a gun cleaned and lubricated well enough to insure it will function.

if you're going to bet your life on a mechanical device, it's foolish to not take good care of it

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

My personal policy is to shoot the gun with the ammo, dust, lint, etc. as carried since the last time it was loaded ...

Not to bust balls, or anything, but it's my personal policy not to drop a handgun into a pocket that has dust and lint in it.

Can't do anything about the dust you pick up during the day, but if you turn your pockets inside out at bedtime and brush them with your hand, you've just performed some useful handgun maintenance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper

There's nothing "special" about keeping a gun cleaned and lubricated well enough to insure it will function.

if you're going to bet your life on a mechanical device, it's foolish to not take good care of it

I do keep my guns cleaned and lubricated "well enough to insure [they] will function." Dust does not interfere with functioning. Guns get dusty being carried IWB, on ankles, in pockets and even OWB. If I see a lot of dust I may blow some air over them. If I think a gun gets to the point where I need to do a full cleaning, I will do it. But, I buy guns and test them out so I know what they will do. I cannot ever recall a malfunction attributable to a previously cleaned gun that became fouled by dust. (I did have a Kel Tec that required frequent cleaning because it would begin to rust out after being carried in foul weather. That is a different story.)

tjm, I don't intentionally put a gun in a pocket that I believe to contain lint.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.