Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Passport: I did a search for the Federal 510's and you are right lots of info showed up - including one article that referenced the Federal 510's as previously being known as "Federal Lightnings".
I have shot some of that (few boxes).
Thanks again for the info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
By a giant coincidence into my local gun shop yesterday comes another Remington 541 this one though is the 541-S Custom Sporter model (made in June of 1977). It did not last even 1 hour on the rack as one of my Hunting/gun trading partners bought it on sight at a hair over $500.00 - it is in 95% condition and has an EXCEPTIONAL trigger pull on it!
I have not seen one of these Rifles for sale for a long time and here in short order two of them come along.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Your recent luck on 541's sounds similar to mine. You may recall my posting a while back about a 541T heavy barrel I picked up at the LGS for $399. It wasn't until I got home with it I noticed the "Voelker Match" stamp on the barrel whistle . What I didn't post was a few months later, a second 541T showed up at the same shop but with the sporter weight barrel. I had to give a little for this one, but still under $500. I've read the sporter barrels often shoot better than the heavy models. I haven't shot the sporter model enough to say, but my initial thoughts are it shoots as good, if not better than the Voelker.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JGray: Thanks for the update on YOUR good luck regarding the 541's.
I have seen just two of the 541 Sproters in use and they both did indeed shot quite well.
I have a partial box of C.C.I. Green Tag ammo that I may run down my 541-T's barrel just to see if it shoots any better than the Winchester 40 grain hollow-points do?
Enjoy your pair of 541's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't done any formal testing in over 20 years with it, but, my 541-T always preferred the Federal Gold Medal shells (the middle grade, standard velocity ones) over CCI, Remington or Winchester's target stuff. Things like Wolfe, Lapua and Eley weren't affordable or available when the rifle was new and I was testing. That rifle pretty much keeps everything inside a 1/2" dot, but, usually puts the Federals through the same hole on a calm day. Of course, I haven't seen any since the shortage began.

Believe it or not, I use Remington Golden Bullets for squirrel hunting. With my 541-T, it still keeps them touching at 50 yds and offers more power than the target shells on tough old fox squirrels. I recently bought some CCI MiniMags and CCI Standard Velocity and found they shoot similarly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 541T Voelker has shot it's best with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I was a bit disappointed that Win 40 gr PP won't work in the tight "match" chamber. I have trouble chambering most CCI ammo also, so pretty much need to limit this one to target type ammo.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JGray: Well thank you for the heads up on the Win 40 gr PP's!
I have not had any troubles as yet with them?
When you say they "won't work in the tight chamber" do you mean they are inaccurate or that they won't function (fire, extract, eject etc)?
I definitely WILL be on the lookout for any troubles related to a tight chamber - I am assuming that perhaps all the 541's have the tight chamber you describe?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's mostly just difficult to close the bolt. My understanding is the tighter match chambers are also shorter so that bullets engage the rifling when the bolt is closed. I believe Voelker shortens the barrel on the breech end and recuts the chamber - not something you'll see on a factory rifle. The Win PP has a lot of lead exposed and is the most difficult to chamber. The Win PP also fails to extract so I've had to push the empties out with a cleaning rod or pry them out with the tip of a pocket knife.

It's a non-issue in a factory chamber, so you should be fine. That's one of the reasons I grabbed the sporter model with factory chamber - everything works fine in it. A co-worker has a Cooper that is similar - they told him they could open up the chamber so any ammo would work, but may lose some accuracy.

Last edited by JGray; 10/04/14.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JGray: Thank you very much for the information - its much apprciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't see a problem with the tight chamber and ammo not extracting. It is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Exactly - it's my "target" rifle and gets match ammo. The sporter is for field use and shooting whatever ammo is handy. No complaints... smile

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Howdy all,

Not a gunshow but a gunshop report. Two years ago I was heading to Cody and I saw this little gunshop in Greybull. I stopped and lo and behold there were two acorns on the rack. A 541-T with the sporter bbl and a Win 52b reproduction. The Rem was wearing a leupold 6.5 x 20 and the Win a leupold 2x7. I looked at the Rem first. $650.00. With scope I asked? yep. Rifle was immaculate, scope had a couple scratches. How much for the Winchester? $550.00! again, with the scope? Yep! Do you take credit cards? nope! Hold on! My coworker was still in her car, I asked for a three hour loan of 1250 bux and I was off to the races. As I was filling out the 4473's a guy sitting at the table told me that the rifles were his and what they liked to shoot. Consignment guns, I felt bad for just a minute. As I handed the shop owner the check he reached into the desk drawer and handed me 4 extra 5 rd mags for the remington and three for the winchester! Wyoming lottery won that day. Remingto likes cci SV and the Win loves fed bulk pak from Walmart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GoWyo; 11/06/14.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nice combo!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent!

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
GoWyo: Great pair of Rifles you caught there.
Good for you!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This will be my first post here but I think it's an appropriate place as I am a .22LR nut, and my 541T standard is my favorite squirrel killer. I have a NULA Model 20 .22LR on order right now so maybe it'll have a little competition when it gets here.

At any rate, congratulations on your fantastic find. 541's are beautiful, accurate little guns. It's a shame Remington doesn't produce them anymore. Of course the price they would have to ask for them today would probably price them out of most folks range.

Mine has the sporter weight barrel and shoots most everything well. I just wish somebody would manufacture real, metal mags for them. I bet there would be guys lined up to buy them.

Enjoy your new rifle! smile

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Dryfly24,

Welcome! You are undoubtedly right about metal magazines. As is, people are fighting to pay $50 for the plastic ones on eBay!

Glad to hear that the sporters are also accurate. My HB doesn't balance well when carried with the shoulder sling and I've wondered about adding a sporter if the right opportunity ever arose!

Last edited by msquared; 11/14/14.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dryfly24: Thanks for your report and your well wishes.
Yes indeed "I" would get in line for a steel magazine for my 541!
I, like you, also am a 22 L.R. nut - have been since I was 8 or 9.
And welcome to you to both the Campfire and the Rimfire site.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GoWyo I own both and they are both amazing firearms. Great grab!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
415 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.