Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9180735 09/15/14
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you guys having trouble finding brass for your rifles or do most you guys have brass from before Obama so brass isn't much of a problem.

Seems like all the online sources are out of brass.

I might have cataract surgery in a mouth or so and if I do I might have to consider a rifle. But where's the brass?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try www.buffaloarms.com - If they don't have what you would want, they say they will soon . . .

The first 400 rounds of 45-70 I bought (long time ago) cost me $33 per hundred. Last 100 empty cases I got for my 45-90 were $99 per hundred, and that was almost 3 years ago.

Ya got to grab them when you can and close your eyes to the price. If you know what caliber you want, get the brass before you get the rifle.

(Not BPCR related, but about 8 years ago I decided I wanted a 204 Ruger - I scrounged for primers, brass, powder and bullets for nearly a year - then bought a rifle.)

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny you say that buy the components before you buy the rifle as that's what I told my wife. Components first rifle second.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Take look at Amazon.com. That's where I found my .45-70 brass. Reasonably priced, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny story about Buffalo Arms. Spoke with one of their sales units, young fella. Topic was .22 Hornet brass, this several years ago. They had brass from Winchester, bags of 100 as I recall, so I told him I'd take "Three".

Few days later the box arrived. It felt kind of light, but credit where it's due, there were 3 cases rattlin' around in the box.

We got it all straightened out, profuse apologies etc. I re-ordered three bags. One had been opened...yep...97 pieces of brass.

Oh well.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Few days later the box arrived. It felt kind of light, but credit where it's due, there were 3 cases rattlin' around in the box.

According to my journal, that was June 13, 2009.

I felt a facepalm in the force.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first 200 case purchase for my Shiloh 45/110 was from Jameson at least six months before my rifle arrived then grabbed an additional 100 from Jerry Dean..Like Otter says if you're lucky to stumble across what you need you may have to look past the price and grab em before they're gone..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 2 older Shilohs an LRE in 50-140 and a Saddle gun in 40-70 2.1" BN. The 50 came with 40 rds of Bell brass and 15 rds of Garrett brass. Over the years I added 40 rds of 50 basic RCBS(Bell) to that, 80 rds of Eldorado 60 rds of SWA(South West Montana Armory)? and a few Bertrams for bad measure.All the brass is extruded except the SWA cases are turned. Consistancy? get the hell outta here. Inexpensive? $3+ ea. Shoot it took 24 years to collect that motley assortment and I'll bet it's the finest collection of working brass for the 50-140 in the country.The Bell stuff was just here and there when I lucked into it, the Eldorado I just didn't buy enough of it $75 a box back then. The SWA I fell into at a little gunshop, 3boxes for $150 that's the cost price and he was damn glad to be rid of them.
On the other hand the 40-70 2.1" is formed out of easy to find 45-70's and all of mine are on WW cases, don't confuse this with a 40-70 SBN which is 2.25" long and needs forming from stretched 45-70's or the better option of 45-2.4" trimmed. So if a guy wants a 40-70 SBN it's a dollar a case plus a set of $100-$200 dies . Atleast great brass is available for it to be made of.
When I finally ordered my 3rd Shiloh it was a 45 2 7/8" why? I tell you, Norma makes the best damned brass for it that can be imagined, I've never ever heard one reasonable complaint again it other than it's expensive, $2 a case.
Nobody makes a correct headstamped 40-70 Sharps straight case, well maybe Bertram but most comes from 405 Hornady stock,streched 30-40 Krags all of which have to have the right reamer or you have rim thickness problems.
The 44-77-90 SBN are only made by Jamison in runs when the demand and there turn comes up. Another problem is that the rim thickness on 44's is not std or shared between C. Sharps , Shiloh and the originals, Between $2-3 each when and where you can find the correct brass for the gun you have. Or hope like hell you can modify BACO reformed 348 Wins to work.
These days adequate quanities and supply of anything is the pits, you all know that. Yes, accumulating the brass before you buy or order the gun is +1 SMART. Guys that been around awhile and are connected to others in the BP sport have less trouble locating components than new guys. Think real hard before ordering a $4000 rifle you have NO brass for and is damned hard to get or expensive when found. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DD,

Just another thought after reading about the batches of "mis-matched" brass here - I try to get batches of 100 cases at a time, same mfr, same headstamp. Might not be AS critical for a 45-70, but sure can be for the larger rounds (i.e. 45-120) and smaller rounds (i.e. 40-65). The differences in case wall thickness, although seemingly small, can make a difference in how much BP you can stuff in the case and/or how much compression is achieved. Not that different brass in the same gun is bad or "forbidden", I just try hard to use the same brass for a run of loads - that way I know it is ME missing the target not a difference in brass (maybe I should mix brass . . . it would give me an excuse?). I have Win brass for my 45-70s and Starline for my 45-90, guess I got lucky? YMMV

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny story about Buffalo Arms. Spoke with one of their sales units, young fella. Topic was .22 Hornet brass, this several years ago. They had brass from Winchester, bags of 100 as I recall, so I told him I'd take "Three".

We got it all straightened out, profuse apologies etc. I re-ordered three bags. One had been opened...yep...97 pieces of brass.

Oh well.....

Must of been a Yankee order taker! grin

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Otter
DD,

Just another thought after reading about the batches of "mis-matched" brass here - I try to get batches of 100 cases at a time, same mfr, same headstamp. Might not be AS critical for a 45-70, but sure can be for the larger rounds (i.e. 45-120) and smaller rounds (i.e. 40-65). The differences in case wall thickness, although seemingly small, can make a difference in how much BP you can stuff in the case and/or how much compression is achieved. Not that different brass in the same gun is bad or "forbidden", I just try hard to use the same brass for a run of loads - that way I know it is ME missing the target not a difference in brass (maybe I should mix brass . . . it would give me an excuse?). I have Win brass for my 45-70s and Starline for my 45-90, guess I got lucky? YMMV

Thanks good to know. Same as with white power.

I always thought if I got a rifle I would go with some exotic caliber. I've since learned about myself that I don't like to reload and do so because I have to. I'm still learning and dipping my toe in that area. I've also learned buy a caliber that is popular if all you are is a recreational shooter. You don't need a exotic caliber to ding a gong or kill a paper target.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I always thought if I got a rifle I would go with some exotic caliber. I've since learned about myself that I don't like to reload and do so because I have to. I'm still learning and dipping my toe in that area. I've also learned buy a caliber that is popular if all you are is a recreational shooter. You don't need a exotic caliber to ding a gong or kill a paper target.

Having figured out that fundamental truth, you are waaay ahead of many if not most who dip their toes or plunge into this game. Nor do you need a cannon to kill stone dead just about anything that walks.

See my post awhile back about gongs to 1540 yards with a 45-70.

Your post makes me wonder if there is any kind of BPCR shooter other than recreational these days. Not too many making a living hunting buffalo. I can guarantee you that serious competitive BPCR shooters do not go with exotic chamberings.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not BPCR, but I ordered some .475 Turnbull cases from Turnbull, and half of them came primed smile I guess I could always make them from 50-110's, or ,348's, but... smile

I already had a .45-90 on order, and then found a .45-90 High Wall, so I can easily justify a few hundred .45-90 cases. And have so obtained them.

Derby, if you decide to get a rifle, the .45-70 is never a mistake. And remains popular. Brass should usually be available.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE

According to my journal, that was June 13, 2009.

I felt a facepalm in the force.

-grin-

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buffalo Arms is one of the few vendors that will sell brass by the piece.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thread. It reminded me to go buy more .45-90 cases.

Midway has them in stock, FWIW smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Not BPCR, but I ordered some .475 Turnbull cases from Turnbull, and half of them came primed smile I guess I could always make them from 50-110's, or ,348's, but... smile

I already had a .45-90 on order, and then found a .45-90 High Wall, so I can easily justify a few hundred .45-90 cases. And have so obtained them.

Derby, if you decide to get a rifle, the .45-70 is never a mistake. And remains popular. Brass should usually be available.

you dont need that beat to crap, poor old High Wal any more Pat now that you have that drop dead gorgeous Shiloh.....ill take that piece of iron scrap off your hands whistle

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

you dont need that beat to crap, poor old High Wal any more Pat now that you have that drop dead gorgeous Shiloh.....ill take that piece of iron scrap off your hands whistle

Man,you are on MAXIMUM suck up mode! grin Between trying to get Gunners 303 double and Pat's High Wall, yer putting the rest of us to shame grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammit man your gonna fug it up for me smirk grin cant blame a poor bastard for trying laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
...you dont need that beat to crap, poor old High Wal any more Pat now that you have that drop dead gorgeous Shiloh.....ill take that piece of iron scrap off your hands whistle

Nyet

grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.