Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
270 Win! Zero at 200 and you can hold dead on at 600!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern

I know!!!! grin

Pieter, thanks for that great response! Very interesting perspective.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pieter sounds to me like you are just being shy... smile

With your opportunities it sounds like you could be telling all of us a thing or two about the differences between how these various cartridges do at distances long and short. Personally I pay a lot of attention to what African hunters have to say about cartridge/bullet performance because of the sheer volume of animals they get to shoot.

I have been bombarded with emails from my old pal, RinB who posts here; he has been in SA and Namib for about 2 weeks now....losing track but he must be up over 25-30 animals up to eland with a 270 and 129 LRX and 130 Bitterroot bonded bullets.African hunters simply get to see much more in a compressed time than we do her in NA.

Have you had much opportunity to run these various cartridges and bullets on a lot of animals? Interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Although I really try to practice a lot, I am still fairly new to long range shooting and will not pretend that I know enough to give info on terminal performance on big game of bullets at real long range smile What I do know or learnt is that checking and rechecking and rechecking again is helping me a lot to get more consistent shooting results.

From what we experience regarding hunters wounding animals there is one particular locally made bullet that were recovered from wounded animals more than any other brand and it is Impala Bullets. It is a monolithic that do not expand, that is advertised as a hunting bullet. The manufacturer claims that the shock wave caused by the shape of the bullet as it enters the animal causes enough damage to the organs to kill the animal quickly. Our neighbor have half his pickup truck's ashtray filled with these bullets that he recovered from wounded animals during weeks, after hunters hunted their property. I am not saying the bullet does not work, but I would not recommend it, not even to mention shooting at longer range with them as the BC will be horrible and for that shock wave effect to occur that they talk about it will have to impact the animal with a decent amount of speed (I am guessing here)

Regarding running various bullets in different calibers is difficult to sum up. We use mainly 6s to 338s.I can honestly say that the 6.5s are more than adequate enough for animals up to the size Kudu and even non premium bullets such as Interlocks have done the job on Kudu extremely well. I love the low BC of the 7s and 6.5s but I still think the right 30 - 338 cal would create better wound channels which leads to quicker death and maybe some of the guys here on the forum can shed more light on this. I think in the end the rifle and bullet you choose to use at long range should be the one you practice with most as shooting at different altitude, temp angles ect is critical and then understanding what that combo does. We see every year when we hunt in Namibia compared to our place that the atmospheric differences (excluding the tricky one which is wind) can make a 1/2 moa at 100 rifle a 1 moa rifle when we sight in our rifles. You will basically have to develop a whole new load for that part of Namibia for that rifle if you wanted to shoot at longer range. Funny thing is, we arrive back home, take that rifle and then it shoots back at 1/2 moa as it did before we left! Shooting in heat is also something I avoid as the heat waves is just too much of a disturbance and I feel like I am just wasting ammo then.

BTW, what is the 130 Bitterroot?

Thanks

Pieter

The 300 grain .338 SMK has to be seen to believed. The blow that it delivers to game as well as the massive wound is extremely effective. They open very well at long range. My 338 Lapua start the 300 SMK at 2800 fps. A very devastating combination.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern

You guys and your damn 270's... I'm beginning to hate mine. SOB outshoots my 30-06 mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Pieter,

Based on your experience I would suggest the 300 RUM with the 230 gr Berger Match Hybrid Target bullet. It has a BC of .743 which will be a big help to minimalize wind drift. You can get 3000 fps or a bit more with the right powders. H-1000 will be closer to 2900 but RL-33 has proven to get close to 3100 fps from a 26" barrel.

This heavy for caliber bullet exits with excellent wound channels. Before anyone trashes this bullet read these two links:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/230gr-berger-used-africa-success-138852/\

This thread features the 300 win mag with the 230 gr hybrid OTM which is constructed the same as the 230 match hybrid target just shorter for short magazine application and a slightly lower BC. Same performance.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ybrid-terminal-results-80283/index3.html

This is the way I would go. Im getting 3100fps out of mine with h1000 , shooting a hybrid ,feeding from a wyatts mag. deadly combo. Bob Carlock turned me onto this combo. Got a black bear at 1120 , flattened it.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
M77. The 7 STW will deliver the good. I've killed antelope with it out to 1000 yards. The standard Nosler Accubonds shoots 1/2 MOA or better, fly true to the published BC, and at 1000 yds still leaves two holes on a broadside shot. The area I've elk hunted with my in-laws the last few years it too thick for the Long Shooter, but I've discovered some nice open glens with calm morning that could provide opportunities best exploited with the Long Shooter.

A buddy of mine has a .300 RUM set up for long range as well. He's shooting the 200gr NAB at 3200. Once he's back from the Desert I'm hoping we can transition it over to one of the LRAB's. It will be interesting to see what we can do with it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
B
Well said Pappy.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep. And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A good 7RM shooting 180s will get it done at that kind of distance. 300WM, or 300RUM would be another good option as well though if you don't mind dealing with a little more recoil.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bullet, optics, and trigger time matter more than cartridge. A dedicated long range rifle needs a real scope. No turrets, or dots are not the same as dialing in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Reverse engineer it. Determine what bullet performs best, regardless of caliber, at the velocity/distance you are wanting to shoot at. The cartridge/action length will follow.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I build rifles every year and practice at long range before I hunt. I pick the best rifle.

The cartridge does not matter as much as finding out how far away I can keep it in the kill zone.

After long range comparitive practice, the 7mmRM can hit the target further out for me that 267RAI, 260, or 270.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (69sportfury, 338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,123
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.