-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I own 70 acres up here in N/E Alberta and manage an adjoining 160 acres from my neighbour who doesn't hunt but let's me manage the herd on it. I live in prime whitetail country up here with some dandy trophy animals on it. I have been watching this buck for the last 3 years, he is a smart bugger that once he rubs off his velvet likes to go nocturnal. I let him pass once last year which was the only time I had a chance at him I wanted some more mass to him. This year if I get the chance he goes down, he has what I think I will be happy with. Again that's if he doesn't go nocturnal again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Walleyes; 09/15/14.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice buck. I hope you get a chance at him.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Beautiful rack....good luck hunting this fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep... That would work!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Beauty!

That gets the blood flowin don't it? wink

*Edit* to add

I have some fairly nice ones on my cameras (all nocturnal) but if I pulled my card and seen a buck like that, I would probably chit my pants.

Last edited by Rooster7; 09/16/14.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have a hard time fulfilling my work requirements with that guy present on my land.

Good luck! We'll expect ongoing reports. cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Definitely would like to see some pics of that rack all polished up!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Very nice. And what makes it even better is knowing that crown sits on the head of a 300lb deer. So ground shrinkage won't be an issue. Hope you get a crack at him.
Good luck.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by lagerboy
Very nice. And what makes it even better is knowing that crown sits on the head of a 300lb deer. So ground shrinkage won't be an issue. Hope you get a crack at him.
Good luck.

Yah I don't think a lot of our southern friends realize this. If you were to take that rack and put it on a Kansas buck it would look insane. These are big bodied animals and this pic taken in August, wait until that boy puts on his winter coat, neck swells and gets his rut fat on,, he is a big deer on the hoof.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeh that
That is a 200lb plus deer not some Texas, Mississippi dog deer.

When rut comes in first week of November hope you have some time to find him. Great mass on him. Bet he'll go 170 plus

Good luck

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
It's what makes these deer so hard to judge. I've been hunting/killing these deer here in Sask my whole life. I'm always shocked when I walk up to a downed deer.
Again, he is a stud and hope you cross paths with him this fall. He should be close to B&C minimums.
Good luck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Yeh that
That is a 200lb plus deer

That's after field dressing it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gorgeous buck, Not that you asked score but I have him in the low 160s conservatively.. very few deductions, gorgeous no matter the score !! Hope to see him on your tailgate soon in some pictures !!!!

Last edited by Strick9; 09/17/14.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
W
OP Offline
W
My boys and I put him in the high 60's to low 70's actually.. Gross of course.

Hopefully I get a chance at him this fall to find out. Stuck at work until at least the end of the month. ( drilling rigs ) the rifle season doesn't open until Nov around home so pretty good chance he will be fine until then. He doesn't seem to wonder to far as he has good feed and lots of does close by. He does frequent a piece of land to the east of me that is hunted by another neighbour and his sons,, but they are not the most particular of hunters. I hope they don't fluke it off and get a crack at him,, but wouldn't that just be someone's luck. I groom and try my best not to spook him off and someone else comes along and runs into him lol.. Oh well that hunting. I truly hope to take him with the bow that would be special. Come rifle season I will still hunt him bit i am strongly considering bow only on my land,, we will see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No doubt he will gross that brother and he has very few deductions period !! Good luck on him, tick tock !!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lagerboy
It's what makes these deer so hard to judge. I've been hunting/killing these deer here in Sask my whole life. I'm always shocked when I walk up to a downed deer.
Again, he is a stud and hope you cross paths with him this fall. He should be close to B&C minimums.
Good luck.

When you don't normally see larger body deer, you miss antler size by a lot. We judged a buck that had just been shot, but had a larger body than we were used to, at 155ish... gal said nah, he'll be right at 170... surprise when my tape said 168 and change.....

NICE buck from what I can tell. If he floats your boat, snag him. Looks that he'd have to have some age on him for those antlers anywya.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice deer, good luck with the chase.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.