Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just pulled some king fillets from the freezer and lost a good bit to freezer burn. One large piece, about 5 pounds, got pitched. To be fair, it was the last of last years fish and I missed it in the bottom. The rest got trimmed. Hopefully it comes out of the smoker In good shape.

So my question is, how do you prepare your salmon for the freezer?

I've heard everything from filetting, skinning, rinseing before freezing to bleed, gut, and steak with the skin on and still wiggling and then freeze, slime and all.

The former claim the skin and slime will make it taste fishy, the latter claim leaving it intact as possible will protect and keep it tasting fresher.

I typically filet, gently wipe any debris off with a paper towel and then vacum pack. Sometimes it holds up, sometimes not so well.

Way sayeth the brethern?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bonk and bleed. Fillet and portion with skin on. Quick rise if necessary. Pat dry.

My secret is to slap it on some wax paper and fold it over. Nothing fancy but it keeps the goobers off the sealable area and gives the flesh a little more protection.

Vacuum seal it and you're golden.

One quick and cheap extra step and A LOT less worries.

Semper Fi

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here is the deal with salmon:

Bonk/bleed/gut/gill. The only way to get the last bit of blood out of a salmon is to scrape the kidney, and then use a spoon and gently rub the inside of the gut cavity. Removing the guts eliminates the acid that belly burn the salmon. Removing the gills gets ride of bacteria that will grow in slush water and make the flesh soft. Scrape, rinse. Remove heart also. You want that fish "clean" to avoid bacterial growth.

Then, immediately chill in slush ice. (no more than 3 days) Do not let your fish get above 32 degrees. You want that water to burn your hands if you stick your hands in it without gloves.

Fillet. A properly cleaned fish does not need to be rinsed with fresh water. I repeat, do not rinse the fillet with fresh water. Fresh water gets into the flesh, and does bad things once frozen. (texture issue) Do not rinse. A clean fish is a clean fish.

Get it professionally vacuum packed or get a very high quality vacuum pac machine. Food savers are junk.. at best. Food savers should be outlawed as they have wasted more fish than the trawl fleet.

Thawing..

Do not thaw in the bag after 6-12 months. Up to six months, you can do whatever you want. After six months, if you want that very "fresh" taste most people don't think is possible for frozen salmon, follow these instructions:

Remove from freezer. Thaw for 20 minutes at room temp. That should be enough to remove frozen fillet from bag. Shave skin and ALL fat from fillet. Then let thaw on a plate covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. It'll taste as good as fresh. Blood and fat is what makes salmon taste like fish when frozen. You eliminated the blood/bacteria already, getting rid of the fat before it thaws and "seeps" into the fillet is key. If you thaw out the fillet in the bag while vacuum packed, you are marinating the fillet in fat juices that give it a fishy taste.

If you take care of your fish, don't use a foodsaver, and thaw correctly; a fillet should last over 2 years in the freezer, and not taste like fish.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Calvin. Any recs on a decent vacum packer?

What's your thought on steaking instead of filetting?

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fillet. Its a preference thing.

I use the one at the lodge, or pay to get mine done in town. 5k+ for those machines. I do hear good things about one of the cabelas models, if anybody wants to chime in about those.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Here is the deal with salmon:

Bonk/bleed/gut/gill. The only way to get the last bit of blood out of a salmon is to scrape the kidney, and then use a spoon and gently rub the inside of the gut cavity. Removing the guts eliminates the acid that belly burn the salmon. Removing the gills gets ride of bacteria that will grow in slush water and make the flesh soft. Scrape, rinse. Remove heart also. You want that fish "clean" to avoid bacterial growth.

Then, immediately chill in slush ice. (no more than 3 days) Do not let your fish get above 32 degrees. You want that water to burn your hands if you stick your hands in it without gloves.

Fillet. A properly cleaned fish does not need to be rinsed with fresh water. I repeat, do not rinse the fillet with fresh water. Fresh water gets into the flesh, and does bad things once frozen. (texture issue) Do not rinse. A clean fish is a clean fish.

Get it professionally vacuum packed or get a very high quality vacuum pac machine. Food savers are junk.. at best. Food savers should be outlawed as they have wasted more fish than the trawl fleet.

Thawing..

Do not thaw in the bag after 6-12 months. Up to six months, you can do whatever you want. After six months, if you want that very "fresh" taste most people don't think is possible for frozen salmon, follow these instructions:

Remove from freezer. Thaw for 20 minutes at room temp. That should be enough to remove frozen fillet from bag. Shave skin and ALL fat from fillet. Then let thaw on a plate covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. It'll taste as good as fresh. Blood and fat is what makes salmon taste like fish when frozen. You eliminated the blood/bacteria already, getting rid of the fat before it thaws and "seeps" into the fillet is key. If you thaw out the fillet in the bag while vacuum packed, you are marinating the fillet in fat juices that give it a fishy taste.

If you take care of your fish, don't use a foodsaver, and thaw correctly; a fillet should last over 2 years in the freezer, and not taste like fish.

Good info there, thanks for the tips.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tag

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have a CG 15 from cabelas and it is a rock solid unit. I have had it for 4 years now and it is still going strong, and I seal a lot of game with it every year. I would highly recommend it!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get one of the chamber vacuum sealers. Like Calvin said, food savers are junk. Like so many things, it's a hard bite to take, at 1k or more, but it'll pay for itself and you'll be surprised at how much you use it.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can also go lo-tech with good results. Realize that exposed cut flesh will likely have to be trimmed but you will otherwise have a good product. Follow the guidelines Calvin mention on initial prep; cleanliness - fast- is good advice. But keeping fish as whole as possible works as well. We chunk kings for roasting and simply wrap them in multiple layers of plastic (saran) type wrap. The cut ends are trimmed after thawing before roasting. Whole silvers and chum get the same treatment except that they are only headed and tailed before wrapping. Ideally the plastic is pulled as tightly as possible to exclude as much air as possible and prevent air-surface contact as much as possible. You can additionally wrap with paper though just plastic works for the year or less we keep fish as long as you use enough.

The only thing we don't do is allow fish to soak in water more than a couple of hours. I like to see the heart still pumping when when we open the fish up and have them wrapped shortly thereafter. Water is not a friend of dead fish.

Filleted fish don't freeze well IME without being vacuum sealed well. I'm sure the pricey ones are a pleasure to use. The bags you use are important also and there are machines better than food-savers which can be made to work just fine as long as you stay on top of your quality control and re-do as needed when there are issues. Money is well spent on better bags.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calvin is spot on with regards to care before freezing and these things are key ...

Kill and bleed the fish immediately after catching.

Let them chill on ice for at least overnight and long enough for the whole fish to go limp. Don't fillet them when they're stiff.

Don't rinse the fillets in fresh water. If needed just wipe them with a paper towel to remove any blood, slime, or scales.

I have found there is one exception to rinsing fillets but it only applies to halibut and rockfish. No fresh water but you can rinse the fillets in ocean salt water with no adverse affects.

Another key to freezing fish or meat is flash freezing and I've proven to myself that this makes a big difference. Put the sealed packages in the fridge or an ice chest and get them as close to 32 degrees before freezing. Then put them in a single layer in the freezer. The object is to get them to freeze in the shortest amount of time as possible and ideally it should take only an hour, or a little more, to freeze rock hard.

Here's my two cents on Food Savers. It not the unit so much, it's the bags that are the problem. I have a Magic Vac unit that I bought at Alaska Butcher supply in Anchorage that works extremely well. The Magic Vac bags are far better than Food Saver bags and I've used both. The problem is it's more difficult to get the corrugated food saver bags to seal properly and stay sealed. They're also thinner and more susceptible to getting holes poked in them when you jostle packages in the freezer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Put them in the large Zip-Locks with water. Freeze.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Calvin 100%. I will add this, whenever I wash or rinse fish I add lemon juice or vinegar to the rinse water. One of the by products fish skin/flesh produce is a base and the acid of the lemon juice/vinegar will cancel the base leaving no odor at all. Additionally, fish caught in the salt will have less slime than one caught in the fresh. Slime protects the fish but also contributes to odor. This is where the acid wash shines. This also works very well with shellfish, shrimp and crab. Fish should not smell.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^ + 1

A bit of of vinegar in a five gallon bucket full of water works very well at removing slime off of whole reds.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting, good to know. I don't think I've ever eaten a salmon out of fresh water.

I'll add that a "clean" salmon I described is how power troll salmon must be prepared and iced in order to be sold. It's the highest quality salmon you can buy. (don't fall for the copper river hype)

And, peoples "fish" taste buds are all different. I can't eat fish that even has a hint of "fish". I have buddies who will eat the fishiest tasting salmon and love it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Put them in the large Zip-Locks with water. Freeze.

I had a gallon of crappie filets in a zip lock and water one time and put it in cousins re fridge/ freezer side by side that soured befor it froze.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/15/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pak and Fish head-

How much vinegar are we talking here for what amount of rise water? Like a capful in a gallon or a cup?

90% of my salmon comes out of the river. Most are still chrome but this vinegar trick might be great to de-slime a boot for the smoker.

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall exactly but about a 1/2 cup to a cup in a 5 gallon bucket. I never measured it but it doesn't take a lot. With the right mix the slime will sluff off and float up to the top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.