Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't want to get to fancy, kinda like the RRA midlength , are there any brands to stay away from?

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from all the reading on here and elsewhere that i can figure it pretty well boils down to having a good barrel and a good trigger and the rest is basically whatever your taste is....i threw one together from parts i got here there and everywhere and managed to come up with something decent.....though since i hadnt shot many before it some of what i thought i wanted wasnt what i actually wanted so im gonna swap out stuff as i get the cash to....but a good barrel and a good trigger and the rest is what ever window dressing you personally like....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually tell beginners (to ARs) to get a Colt 6920 from Walmart.

RRA is one of my favorites. I tell beginners to CMP/NRA service rifle competition to get a RRA NMA2 1/2x1/2.

avoid the absolute bottom price points with names like "sportical"... Avoid the specialty calibers, that is anything other than .223. I'd say avoid the high end $2000+ until you know what brand & features you want.

for your first general purpose AR get a complete standard M4-gery, 16" collapsable stock, in .223, like the colt I mention above. You will get hooked and you will get more and you will be building your own in a few years.

while you're spending money, goto Brownells and order 10 magazines, either brownells brand aluminum or magpul P-mags. Then shop around and get a case of Federal .223 which lately is around $330/1000. Get an aimpoint PRO or eotech 512, if you're over 40, you won't be able to see your front sight and will need the scope.

welcome to the dark side, shoot good!

Poole

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
And once you get that 6920, come spend some time with us here and well suggest all the lego configurations to consider, and the many fun ways you can spend your money on it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Don't want to get to fancy, kinda like the RRA midlength , are there any brands to stay away from?

That's a lot like saying, "I want a car, maybe a Camry. Are there any bad car brands out there?" Only car manufacturers are less likely to give you a lemon than one of the dozens of fly-by-night AR builders that have sprung up recently. And comparing a RRA to a Camry is probably a little insulting to the fine folks at Toyota.

At the top right of your screen there's a "Page" button that lets you sort through all of the previous gagillion threads just like this one. If you'll read them they'll answer nearly any basic "which AR" question you could have and prepare you to ask more specific questions to narrow your search.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bud's Gun Shop has Core 15 and Windham Weaponry for cheap right now.

Bud's AR Page

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I purchased a RRA Lar 15 about two months ago, it is a very accurate rifle. I have shot several groups using my own hand loads that have measured under a half inch, one group measured .293. I bought a box Fiocchi 223 62 gr fmj cartridges, shot two groups that measured 3/4 inch, very good for factory ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recommend getting a Colt 6920 and go from there. With the current prices of $850-$899 for a LE6920, I would skip past all the other mediocre brands.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what prejudice! I have a Hesse AR15 and fired 1 million rounds through it yesterday afternoon. With the Barska 1-4 Special Ops Black Ninja rifle scope we were hitting bottle caps at 1000 yards with every shot. Colt's just don't hold a candle against Hesse, Delton, Core, Bushmaster, Windward etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you must have been using Wolf ammo and ALG trigger.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hyper-Fire!!!!!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CBMJR

Hey, the ALG ACT trigger is a pretty decent upgrade for very little coin.

I recognize there are finer tuned triggers out there though. I just don't think it deserves to be lumped in with Wolf ammo and DPMS sporticals. Just sayin'.

Carry on.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The pro's always choose Hesse, never a DPMS Sprokital.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 68W
Originally Posted by CBMJR

Hey, the ALG ACT trigger is a pretty decent upgrade for very little coin.

I recognize there are finer tuned triggers out there though. I just don't think it deserves to be lumped in with Wolf ammo and DPMS sporticals. Just sayin'.

Carry on.

They are a upgrade from many standard AR triggers. I didn't mean to imply they were the same quality as the other stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Palmetto has the Colt 6720 on sale for $799.99 with free shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was actually surprised the trigger that came with the cheap CMMG lower parts kit i bought....not a great trigger by any means as its a bit heavy but its crisper than the triggers on some of my bolt actions.....granted that was a gamble....was a nice surprise, was expecting to have to replace it before long but can definitely live with it unless i get into using it pretty heavily for our lil ground squirrels way out there and the gun sure aint set up for that at the moment.....

Last edited by rattler; 09/16/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why not build your own...cost would be under $600
To address the crappy trigger do this..and polish contact surface.
http://junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

Last edited by XPNut; 09/16/14.

"One good Shot Is All I Need"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
gosh is it a good idea to personally modify a trigger that might be used in a self defense application?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you know thats one thing ive read, even from authors that love to tinker and mod stuff is it just aint worth messing with an AR trigger since they are surfaced hardened.....if you want a better trigger buy a better trigger and save your tinkering to other parts of the rifle.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
gosh is it a good idea to personally modify a trigger that might be used in a self defense application?

Yep! Just go at it with a file from Lowes. Be sure to polish it up with your Dremel afterwards though.

(All the above is sarcasm, do not attempt to file or polish any bearing surfaces in your AR trigger. If you want a better trigger pull, buy a new one. Milspec triggers are designed to be safe and reliable. They are not match triggers and should not be tinkered with.)

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/16/14.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 79 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.