-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grin...we don't have anything BUT bad positions. (Not that "Scent Lok" helps.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to check in with Swampy I'm sure he'd be more than willing to share volumes of his expertise. grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There you go. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Interesting you mention the ionizing thing, I presume you mean the ozone generate. Due to another thread here, a member got me thinking about those and I started researching....seems if you are in an enclosed blind,pop-up or box blind, they could be of some definite benefit. Sticking one to the tree above your open stand might not be as beneficial.

Yep thats what I was talking about, wrong word I guess I remembered.

I have NO clue how or why it would work, only that a guy I trust in a box blind (sweat boxes we call em) uses one for bowhunting and swears by it.

I hunt out of a box at times too, and its probably 98% sealed shut but I still have it set up such that I hunt on a particular wind and unfortunatley thats a south wind instead of a north wind. If they go downwind of the box there is always a chance they will alert.

Don't find the need to spend the money to test that unit out though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Some people swear it works. My BIL says it works cause deer come form down wind and they don'r smell him. I got a small buck 2 evenings ago. I came from a long scout, old pants form work and a jacket I have never washed. The buck came from behind me . He didn't smell me from 20' down wind and I was only 10' up in the tree. SOmetimes , ya just get away with one.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got racks to fill a 55 gallon drum and never wore scent wear/gear. Doesn't take a $500 outfit to kill a deer imo.......Although if I had a TV hunting show and they were a sponsor I'd tell you it's needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember in my younger days washing clothes in baking soda. Shaving my head walking to stands half naked. Leaving my recurve in the tree overnite. I would see some whitetails down wind of me even shot a few. But I was fanatic about it. I no longer bother.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to the Africa forum and read about the contraband dog used.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
More up there for you now Jim wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
all that stuff is part of the "machine" that the hunting industry has created in order to get you to spend big money on just another set of camo clothing, scent free soap, or a spray bottle of water such as dead down wind. Much like many other BS products that are out there. Learn to effectively hunt the wind. That is how you overcome the nose of a deer or any other animal with such an acute sense of smell. I once owned scent lock when I was 18, and it never kept me from being winded when a deer was down wind. Traded it for a boat motor the next year to a friend. Will never use again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I bowhunt whitetails now I had a doe wind me at 125 yards. I had work clothes on and was smoking menthol camels. She snuck up to me at about 60 she saw me in the tree. Got a limb between me & her and came into about 25. I just hunt naive deer now. Smelly.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it might work and I'll tell you why. I've noticed deer before that clearly smelled me, that did not alert at all, or at least not seriously. I could see them and knew they were smelling me but they didn't blow and flag off. Most of these were at a distance. On the other hand, a deer that winds me at twenty yards will blow and flag off every single time.

Where I hunt, deer smell people all the time. Whether it is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away across the river, my dad getting some logs out, or the people living another quarter mile across the creek, they smell people nearly every day. If they alerted every time they smelled someone, they would be run ragged.

As I observed, deer are capable of categorizing the immediacy of a threat by how strong the odor is. Simply put, they can tell if the smell is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away or someone sitting in a blind twenty yards away. One scent is merely part of the backdrop in which he lives, the other is a dire threat that requires immediate action. IF scent control through any means can make a guy sitting in a blind twenty yards away smell more like the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away instead of what he actually is, then it can work.

Does that mean that the deer doesn't smell the guy. No, and that is why those dog tests don't prove much. The dogs were told to go find a guy. They don't care if he smelled like he was twenty yards away or a quarter away, they smelled him and they went and found him. But dogs can't talk and say, "Hey, you sure didn't smell like you were that close."

Sure, you should try to hunt the wind as much as possible, but where I live that is often impossible. I look at a weather forecast the night before I go hunting to see where the wind is going to be from so I can get an idea of where to hunt. When I get up, I check it again on the internet and outside. Then I drive the forty-five minutes or so to my place. On the way, I pass a paper mill and I'm always able to see which way the wind is blowing by the smoke. Then, when I open the gate, I check it again. Then when I get on the stand I check it again. I can't tell you how many times the internet and the wind at home are one way, the paper mill another, the gate another, and finally on the stand, another direction yet. And often on the stand, it is blowing one way and five minutes later another and ten minutes after that, still another.

I don't know if the stuff works, but if it did, even simply by REDUCING the scent, it could well be worth it. That buck might think he is smelling a guy walking down a fence row half a mile away instead of you waiting to stick an arrow in him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really love it when I'm watching a hunting show on TV and a guy starts spraying himself from head to toe with magic mist that will act as a cloaking device

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/22/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Obviously anything thats clean and can help is a plus. But I don't use the stuff anymore. Mostly because I don't bowhunt.

When bowhunting we'd take every chance we could, bathe, spray, clothes, and still do our best to alwyas hunt the wind totally.... like I said, trying to be within 30 feet or 45 feet of any animal with a bow, you do whatever you can.

After learning more about ozone the other week in a water treatment plant I'd even go Ozonics after that week long class as another tool in the basket.

But nothing but wind direction is 110%

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I think it might work and I'll tell you why. I've noticed deer before that clearly smelled me, that did not alert at all, or at least not seriously. I could see them and knew they were smelling me but they didn't blow and flag off. Most of these were at a distance. On the other hand, a deer that winds me at twenty yards will blow and flag off every single time.

Where I hunt, deer smell people all the time. Whether it is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away across the river, my dad getting some logs out, or the people living another quarter mile across the creek, they smell people nearly every day. If they alerted every time they smelled someone, they would be run ragged.

As I observed, deer are capable of categorizing the immediacy of a threat by how strong the odor is. Simply put, they can tell if the smell is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away or someone sitting in a blind twenty yards away. One scent is merely part of the backdrop in which he lives, the other is a dire threat that requires immediate action. IF scent control through any means can make a guy sitting in a blind twenty yards away smell more like the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away instead of what he actually is, then it can work.

Does that mean that the deer doesn't smell the guy. No, and that is why those dog tests don't prove much. The dogs were told to go find a guy. They don't care if he smelled like he was twenty yards away or a quarter away, they smelled him and they went and found him. But dogs can't talk and say, "Hey, you sure didn't smell like you were that close."

Sure, you should try to hunt the wind as much as possible, but where I live that is often impossible. I look at a weather forecast the night before I go hunting to see where the wind is going to be from so I can get an idea of where to hunt. When I get up, I check it again on the internet and outside. Then I drive the forty-five minutes or so to my place. On the way, I pass a paper mill and I'm always able to see which way the wind is blowing by the smoke. Then, when I open the gate, I check it again. Then when I get on the stand I check it again. I can't tell you how many times the internet and the wind at home are one way, the paper mill another, the gate another, and finally on the stand, another direction yet. And often on the stand, it is blowing one way and five minutes later another and ten minutes after that, still another.

I don't know if the stuff works, but if it did, even simply by REDUCING the scent, it could well be worth it. That buck might think he is smelling a guy walking down a fence row half a mile away instead of you waiting to stick an arrow in him.

It.
Doesn't.
Work.

I also love how people think wind travels in a linear fashion.. It doesn't.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my tree stands I have a thin piece of yarn hanging from a limb about eye level 18 feet high next to me to check the wind.

I have two others near ground level hanging from branches.

It's not at all unusual to have them pointing different directions or having one hanging dead still while others are moving with the breeze.

All three are within a 40 yard area. Funny how many times the one next to me is blowing right at the expected direction of game, but the one down on the trail is blowing and moving right in my direction.

Hang some yarn or ribbons in 3-4 locations. I doubt they will all be the same direction all the time. Unless a storm is blowing in.

I've also watched the smoke from my wind checker blow straight away and then swirl into another direction when 6-8 feet away.

Your mileage may vary.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw a picture a long time back of a private range that had the berm at 50 yds. Shooter had windflags every 10 yds, each one were in a different direction.

Have no idea about scentloc clothing but years ago someone had on the market a body soap that would kill your scent. Not sure about how the deer felt about it, but I sure didn't stink the truck up much on the way home, well except for the mexican food I had on the way.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
In my tree stands I have a thin piece of yarn hanging from a limb about eye level 18 feet high next to me to check the wind.

I have two others near ground level hanging from branches.

It's not at all unusual to have them pointing different directions or having one hanging dead still while others are moving with the breeze.

All three are within a 40 yard area. Funny how many times the one next to me is blowing right at the expected direction of game, but the one down on the trail is blowing and moving right in my direction.

Hang some yarn or ribbons in 3-4 locations. I doubt they will all be the same direction all the time. Unless a storm is blowing in.

I've also watched the smoke from my wind checker blow straight away and then swirl into another direction when 6-8 feet away.

Your mileage may vary.

This has been my experience, as well. Wind can shift and swirl all over the place. And, no, I'll never spend a cent on Scent-Crock...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.