Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I know this has bound to have been discussed here. The search function didn't produce anything with the terms "scent lok" or "scent lock."

This is my first year to bow hunt seriously and I listened to the owner of scent lok make his case. Sounded convincing with what I know about charcoal's absorbancy abilities. That said, his livelihood depends on it, so he's biased.

How about you guys? Whatcha think?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snake oil, with a purity of 100%.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What ever they are selling, nothing beats keeping the wind in your face.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No it doesn't, unless you can hermetically seal your mouth, eyes, nose, ears and skin, you will be smelt.

Wind is your achilles heel, recognize it, use it, be busted by it and deal with it.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Agree. It's a ridiculous 'concept' that has no basis in reality.

IN other words...snake oil.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Agree. It's a ridiculous 'concept' that has no basis in reality.

IN other words...snake oil.

Yep.

Think about all the other things that have an odor, such as the lubricants on your bow cams, and what krp says. List is long

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am freaking amazed at the array of clothing and other scent masking gear that guys have at my club. I don't care how many big bucks or does they bring back to the cabin, but you cannot convince me it has anything to do with "masking" their scent. Unless they wrap up in a plastic bag, including their head I MIGHT believe that.

IMHO, I call bullshit on the scent masking crap on the market.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am freaking amazed at the array of clothing and other scent masking gear that guys have at my club. I don't care how many big bucks or does they bring back to the cabin, but you cannot convince me it has anything to do with "masking" their scent. Unless they wrap up in a plastic bag, including their head I MIGHT believe that.

IMHO, I call bullshit on the scent masking crap on the market.

Plastic bags have a scent too. smile

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^

This. Exactly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch a police dog find contraband and then think about how it could possibly help you at all.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Watch a police dog find contraband and then think about how it could possibly help you at all.

We did exactly that to test the stuff�..stuck some dope in a pile of scent loo clothing.

The clothing might as well have not been there at all...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Unlike my Boarder Ghillie with Chit�Lok technology. Made from recycled product direct from the border environment, government approved.

Premium seamstress price for extra used depends.

Vacuum sealed for guaranteed fresh and potent.

Don't stick out like a yankee turd in a punch bowl. Become a border turd and blend in to score that big buck of a lifetime.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit I use the spray stuff, I don't have much faith in it but I still use it just in case. as for the charcoal infused expensive clothing? HA! no i don't use it. only reason I use the spray stuff is in case I leave a scent trail on the way in, I know aint nothing I can do about me being there scent wise but oh well. hunt the wind.
95% of the "hunting" schit in cabelas is gimmicks. sometimes less is more

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So the consensus is that it's bogus. The science behind it seemed convincing. The owner of the company denied it being 100 percent effective, but claimed a large percentage of odors were absorbed.

Just curious, did any of you actually try it? I'm not trolling, just curious if you've seen it fail in the field. Also, know of any studies showing its a sham?

It's really expensive and I'd have figured it would have been proven fake by now. It's been out for at least a decade I think.

It never mattered to me before, I was shooting a rifle from long way off. Just wanted to see what you more experienced bowhunters thought. Thanks fellas.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Scent lok clothing works as good as the Flobee does on hair.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
So the consensus is that it's bogus. The science behind it seemed convincing. The owner of the company denied it being 100 percent effective, but claimed a large percentage of odors were absorbed.

Just curious, did any of you actually try it? I'm not trolling, just curious if you've seen it fail in the field. Also, know of any studies showing its a sham?

It's really expensive and I'd have figured it would have been proven fake by now. It's been out for at least a decade I think.

It never mattered to me before, I was shooting a rifle from long way off. Just wanted to see what you more experienced bowhunters thought. Thanks fellas.

Very difficult to prove in the field UNLESS a sxs comparison can be fabricated, thus excuses abound and the seller makes his money.......

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

The product has been out for a long time, as a marketing standpoint it needs a certain percentage of consumers to believe the advertising to stay profitable.

The butt out tool has been around a long time too.

Besides evidence like Ingwe showed, the marketing claims belie the physics of charcoal. Charcoal absorbs contaminates from all over, not just your ass and armpits, and quickly. Once saturated it is ineffective. Reactivating charcoal takes a temperature of 600 to 900 degrees. The claim scent lok can be reactivated in the dryer is absolutely false, it also can't be reactivated in the washer with a secret formula.

Don't know what they claim now after losing a court case when some hunters sued them and won in federal court for false advertising.

And ya, I was given some once, didn't make a difference to elk... but my hunting partners commented on how my ass odor was pleasantly fresh...

Kent

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad you knew of the court case Kent. They did get their butts in a sling over their claims.Deer and elk olfaction works in basically the same way dog olfaction works ,and the smell coming off people works the same for both species. It is Impossible to hide more than just barely fractionally( I'm a college level research Professor Olfactory Nerd�.thats my official title grin )

Last edited by ingwe; 09/17/14.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I just don't like to be bullchitted and played for a fool with outlandish claims, and once caught act like nothing happened and business as usual... reminds me of our politicians.
Kent

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No gimic

I have noticed over last 30 years of bow hunting I do tend to see more animals if I am more careful regarding my scent control during the season. Storing clothes outside or in a container. Washing them with baking soda, washing twice a day unscented soap, rubber boots. Not hunting a stand more than twice a week, moving stands frequently, not hunting a stand if wind is not right, hanging stand over 20 ft etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend that believes what you do. Funny stuff!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little science on this topic from a few years ago. Still relevant today. It's not changed since I read this.
------------------------------------------------------

The extreme commercialization of bow hunting has, in my opinion, resulted instances where hunters have been duped. In fact, I can think of several products that are down right gimmicks and obviously seek to play upon consumer ignorance and slob hunters looking for success shortcuts.�

I was once asked, �What do you think is the biggest gimmick on the (outdoors equipment) market is today?� I will warn you up front that my response to the question, which follows, may be a bit painful. Furthermore, I will say that if you do find my response painful, it�s likely that you spent your hard earned wages on the product that I�m about to scrutinize.

Here goes: I believe the biggest gimmick on the outdoors equipment market today is activated-carbon scent elimination clothing that are being marketed under various brand names. You know the ones I�m talking about, so I won�t name names. I�m talking about all of them.�

If you�re a bow hunter and believe in the effectiveness of these special garments, hopefully you aren't so angry that you stop reading this article. Because if you read this in its entirety, I promise that you will learn something.�

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity, and I would never dream of calling my fellow bow hunters stupid. It�s the ignorance (i.e. the lack of knowledge) factor that has led many quality and even professional bow hunters to be fooled by the claims made by the manufacturers of scent elimination clothing.

�

I plan to educate you, not point fingers or spit propaganda. Before I do though, I�ll tell you a bit about myself. I am a biologist by education and received my Bachelor of Science degree from Florida State University. I�ve worked in the environmental protection field for more than ten years.�

I have worked with various forms of activated-carbon, the same material that is used in the many brands of scent elimination clothing. Many of you have read articles by authors that claim their scent elimination clothing was pinnacle in helping them tag the biggest buck; without it, the hunt would not have been successful.�

What�s new? That is a common marketing strategy used to push new equipment. Bow hunters, despite what gear they choose, are a traditional bunch. Many of us have gained knowledge on how to hunt our query and what equipment to use through word of mouth and testimonials of other perceived more knowledgeable bow hunters.

When Chuck Adam, for instance, talks or writes, I listen and pay attention. I�d be crazy if I didn�t. He is without question a knowledgeable bow hunter and we all stand to learn a lot from an experienced bow hunter like him.�

The problem with these scent elimination garments is, unless you have a science background and to an even greater extent, have worked in the environmental protection / remediation profession, you simply cannot posses a clear understanding of how activated-carbon works.

So, as I promised, I am going to tell you how activated-carbon works and why it is my opinion that activated-carbon scent elimination garments are ineffective. Then you can take the information presented here and make an educated decision for yourself.

activated-carbon comes in several forms and is used in many applications as a filtering or cleansing media. activated-carbon can be manufactured from carbonaceous material, including coal (bituminous, subbituminous, and lignite), peat, wood, or nutshells (i.e., coconut shells or walnut shells).�

The manufacturing process consists of two phases: carbonization and activation. The carbonization process includes drying and then heating to separate by-products, including tars and other hydrocarbons, from the raw material, as well as to drive off any gases generated. Heating the material at 400�600�C (752-1472�F) in an oxygen-deficient atmosphere that cannot support combustion completes the carbonization process.

activated-carbon comes in the form of a very fine powder, which is impregnated or weaved into the textile fibers of garments. It also comes in a granular form. Both forms are used in various applications including to purify both water and air.

Some of the popular drinking water filters and mechanical air filters on the market use activated-carbon as a filter media.�

activated-carbon is an extremely porous material with high ratios of surface area to unit weight. One pound of activated-carbon contains up to 100 acres of surface area!�

activated-carbon has a particular affinity to organic materials such as volatile organic compounds or VOC�s. Human odor is composed of different gaseous molecules of VOC�s and other chemicals such as hydrogen sulfides, which are absorbed by activated-carbon.�

Think of activated-carbon as a common sponge that you would use to wash dishes with. Take a sponge and place it in a cup of water. What happens? It soaks up the water. The sponge, like activated-carbon, has thousands of little pores and channels running through it. When activated-carbon soaks up human �stink� odors, it does so through a process called adsorption.�

Stinky gasses (i.e. human odors) are adsorbed into the many micro pores on and within the activated-carbon and are retained there. Now, what happens when a sponge becomes saturated?

A sponge that is saturated with water cannot adsorb any more. Hold a saturated sponge full of water in your hand and you will observe water dripping from it. When activated-carbon in a water or air filter becomes saturated it is called breakthrough.
In short, when a water�s or air filter�s filter media (i.e. activated-carbon) becomes saturated with contaminants, the filter is rendered useless and the contaminants contained in the water or air stream pass through the filter. After a while, you will be drinking dirty water or breathing stinky air until the filter is replaced. Makes sense right?

Think of activated-carbon as a molecular sponge. As is the case with any sponge, activated-carbon can only hold or adsorb so much stinky stuff. Once activated-carbon becomes saturated with contaminants, it must be reactivated or replaced entirely.�

What do you do with a sponge that is saturated with water? You squeeze it to release the adsorbed water so you can reuse it. Or, you simply get a new dry sponge. Like the sponge analogy, activated-carbon must be �squeezed out� so to speak, in order to reactivate it for reuse.

Now you know how activated-carbon works. Most of the information I just provided can be found on some of the more popular scent elimination garment manufacturers� web sites.�

So far you might be thinking to yourself �Wow, activated-carbon really works�. Well, it does work, sort of.�

activated-carbon is a fine filter media, but using activated-carbon as the key component in a scent elimination garment is not a practical application.�

Unlike a common kitchen sponge, you can�t just leave it on the counter and let it dry out. In order to re-activate activated-carbon, it must undergo a process called Pyrolysis. To fully re-activate saturated activated-carbon, you must heat it to approximately 800 �C or 1,472 �F, in a controlled atmosphere of low oxygen concentration to reduce the possibility of combustion.�

This is scientific fact and is even stated in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers � Engineering and Design, Adsorption Design Guide, Design Guide No. DG1110-1-2, if you�d like to check it out for yourself. This fact is not however mentioned on any of the popular scent elimination clothing manufacturers� websites.�

One of the most popular scent elimination clothing manufactures instructs consumers to simply place worn garments in a common household clothes dryer for 20 to 30 minutes to re-active the carbon in the garment. The average temperature generated by a clothes dryer does not even come close to being able to generate the extreme temperatures necessary to drive out contaminants absorbed in the many micropores and channels of activated-carbon. In fact, most residential clothes dryers only heat up to a temperature that is well under 200�F.�

Those of you, whom use water filters or air filters in your homes, think about it. Why can�t you just boil your filters in hot water or throw them in the oven or microwave for a few minutes to re-activate the carbon filter media. You can�t; that�s why. You don�t own special multi million-dollar pyrolysis thermal regeneration equipment that produces enough heat to re-activate carbon. Therefore, you have to buy new filters every now and then.

Re-activating carbon for industrial uses is big business. Type in the words �activated-carbon� in your favorite Internet search engine and you will see what I�m talking about here. In order to fully reactivate the activated-carbon in one of the many scent elimination garments on the market, you might as well just throw the garment in your campfire, because the extreme heat necessary to re-activate the carbon would likely destroy the garment anyway.�

Forgive my sarcasm, but I tend to get irritated when I see good folks getting duped. And as a class, I think bow hunters are a pretty good bunch. So as a product, I think all the activated-carbon scent elimination clothing products on the market are nothing more than gimmicks.�

I do not believe, based on sound science, these garments are even effective the first time you use it. Think about it. Each garment would have to be manufactured and placed in a sealed, scent proof bag when shipped and remain sealed on the shelf at retail stores. This is not the case, however.�

From the minute the clothing is manufactured, it begins to adsorb �stink� and continues to adsorb �stink� while awaiting an ignorant, misinformed consumer to purchase it. It is likely that the activated-carbon contained in the garment is already completely saturated with �stink� upon being purchased.�

Many of the scent proof garment manufacturers somewhat acknowledge this, in an attempt to bring some legitimacy to their product. They recommend that you immediately wash and re-activate garments by placing them in a clothes dryer as soon as the product is purchased. Funny, they also happen to recommend their own brand of laundry detergent that is special made for these special garments.�

As I explained above, washing and drying the garment is merely an exercise in futility.

At best, the only way these garments could be manufactured and utilized effectively would be if they were designed for one time use. In other words, they would have to be disposable.�

The military actually uses activated-carbon suits as a kind of chemical protection garment, but they�re a single-use, disposable garment and not intended for multiple washings.

Here is something else you should consider before purchasing one of these products: activated-carbon�s adsorption effectiveness when used in an air filter application becomes greatly reduced when it is wet. So what happens when you sweat during those humid early season bow hunts? That�s right, your clothing gets wet and becomes even less effective.�

A leading manufacturer of activated-carbon garments admits that no laboratory testing has been conducted to determine the effectiveness of the clothing when it is wet from hunter�s perspiration.

So why the craze? Why are so many hunters rushing out to purchase these garments, when the science-based fact is that they don�t work?�

As I mentioned earlier, consumer ignorance is one reason. I think another reason is that many hunters so badly want to believe that they can purchase something that will render them invisible to a whitetail�s or elk�s nose.�

As I said earlier, many of you have read articles by authors that claim their scent elimination clothing was pinnacle in helping them tag the biggest buck; with out it, the hunt would not have been successful.

I truly believe the fact that these hunters who wore these garments while achieving success, can be chalked up to being merely a coincidence. Many of the authors who wrote these type articles failed to mention they were wearing their lucky hat and that their lucky rabbits foot was in their pocket at the time.�

All sarcasm aside, I think many successful hunters who wear these special garments fail to recognize that they have been consciously paying closer attention to personal hygiene techniques before every hunt.�

You must understand that none of the success story articles that push these special garments are based on science studies. They are opinions; misinformed ones at that.�

I�ve talked to a few technical representatives with some of the more popular scent elimination clothing manufacturers and none of them have performed controlled scientific studies to demonstrate the true effectiveness of these garments. However, they claim to have �field tested� the garments.

Come on folks. How do you field-test these garments?

It is said that a deer can smell nearly 1,000 times better than humans. You cannot legitimately observe the effectiveness of these garments or read a whitetail�s mind. No one, to the best of my knowledge, has contracted a non-biased independent laboratory or university to demonstrate the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of this clothing.�

It is my belief that the manufacturers of these specialty garments know what the results of such a study would show; therefore it would not behoove them to undertake such an exercise. So they just claim the garments are field tested by the product-pushing pros.

As stated earlier: This is just my opinion, but it�s one based on sound science, education and a realistic view of product marketing techniques.�

Now you can form your own opinion. Good Hunting.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know why this cut and paste added all the numbers and characters? I'm not in the mood to go in and edit them out so " absorb" the content and ignore the extra bits!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What science?

Like the old guy said, if scent control worked, drug dogs would be unemployed.

This is one of tge reasons why I don't post on archery talk.. The scent control stooges are delusional.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes I've used it for years, yes it works for what I use it for. That being said I use it bc the mosquitoes can't bite through it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What science?

Like the old guy said, if scent control worked, drug dogs would be unemployed.

This is one of tge reasons why I don't post on archery talk.. The scent control stooges are delusional.

Scent can certainly be reduced, but not completely "contained", that I am aware off. Narcotics detection dogs are trained to alert to certain amounts of scent, so that they don't alert to residual odor, or in the case of certain search areas, small amounts of drugs...but they do smell them without alerting. I know this. The more an area is saturated with human smell, the more animals will avoid it. I also know that the worse (more) a person smells, the less game they (I)see.

Being upwind of game is, by far, the most important aspect of hunting big game in my humble opinion. Sometimes, a person has to hunt the same area repeatedly in different winds. Does "Scent Lok" work? I don't know. Do rubber boots "work"?

They don't hurt.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eat proper, exercise, and get plenty of rest. Choose clothing that inhibits bacteria growth with its associated foul funk. Clean your clothing in baking soda and water. Be disciplined in your movements and be smart about taking maximum advantage of the sun, shade, wind, and thermals. My brother is a pharmacist, and decades ago suggested I try chlorophyll. I did, and it did make a difference. Does not make you scent free, but when going on week long backpack hunting trips living out of your pack, it sure helps keep you tolerable. But, I've hunted with a few guys, who after a week or so backpacking, smelt bad enough that they ran me out the tent, yet they were able to arrow some nice game animals using good discipline and taking full advantage of the environment.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

The other side is I"ve never seen it hurt anything..... I tend to at times take every step I can to MINIMIZE odors but I wont' hunt in the wrong wind.

OTOH I've killed some pretty good deer doing the same with work jeans and something other than my white and blue work shirts as I get home, grab archery or gun gear and sit the woods for a bit before dark.... now and then.

Wind is the most important part of it.

I've herad some folks I trust though start to believe in the ionization contraption..... I don't and probably never will own one since I now choose to hunt out of a sweat box or on foot. Not much between.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I tried it for several years and the answer is hunt the wind.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Interesting you mention the ionizing thing, I presume you mean the ozone generate. Due to another thread here, a member got me thinking about those and I started researching....seems if you are in an enclosed blind,pop-up or box blind, they could be of some definite benefit. Sticking one to the tree above your open stand might not be as beneficial.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Scent can certainly be reduced, but not completely "contained", that I am aware off. Narcotics detection dogs are trained to alert to certain amounts of scent, so that they don't alert to residual odor, or in the case of certain search areas, small amounts of drugs...but they do smell them without alerting. I know this. The more an area is saturated with human smell, the more animals will avoid it. I also know that the worse (more) a person smells, the less game they (I)see.

At what amount do they stop alerting?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just my thoughts here... I wish guys would get away from all the "gadgets" we just HAVE to have to kill that big buck. You ever notice how they market all this crap.. if you wear this suit, or use this deer call you will bag that elusive 190" buck. Really.. What if the area you hunt doesn't have a 190" buck on it... They never address that..lol Why dont they just tell you, that you may spend Hundreds or Thousands on gadgets and kill those same 115" 6 or 8 point's that you've been seeing for years. Mostly because that's all the Land/ hunting pressure will allow for. (Doesn't sound as sexy.. huh)

For me I will do what I have always done. Wash my clothes in baking soda, or a generic sports wash. Store them in a rubber made tub, with a few cedar blocks from Lowes (gives them a nice earthy smell, and cedar is prevalent where I hunt). Then I top it off by siting around a Hard wood (oak,hickory) camp fire, for a low tech Carbon infusion..lol Not really.. I just love a good campfire while in camp. But the deer don't seem to mind; they still come in from any wind direction, and walk all around, under my stand. Oh and I forgot to add that I walked to my stand in Leather Hunting boots! wink

Last edited by MarkG; 10/01/14.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave

At what amount do they stop alerting?

Travis

When training a dog, you "disipline" them when they alert to a controlled find that is of smaller amounts than you want them to alert on. For instance, allowing a dog to alert to the odor of residue, or recently removed, narcotics, will result in false alerts. It's not that the odor isn't there, just nothing to recover. Dogs that are uses for searching high trafficking areas, like the borders, are trained to alert only on larger quantities, as are most dogs in urban areas (cause every car's got seeds and smoke in 'em.). Dogs used to search schools and private industry are often trained to alert on small amounts.

It's not difficult to train a dog to alert at a certain threshhold.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW guys, we generally train for a full blown indication ( not to be confused with 'alert') on a gram or more, because ordinarily a gram is prosecutable in most jurisdictions.

As an aside, the terms 'alert' and 'indication' are used interchangeably, even by trainers. When it comes down to court testimony time, you need to tighten it up a bit. And 'alert' is anything the dog does that signifies he has come into the odor of contraband. ( head jerk, nose press, rapid sniff etc..)
And 'indication' or 'final response' is what the dog does to let you know he has located the source of the odor. ( sitting, scratching, whatever he has been trained)
A handler can describe in court a series of 'alerts' that let him know the dog is in the odor of contraband,before the dog 'indicates' the location of that contraband. If he has been dutifully keeping his training records, he can verify each type of 'alert' by quantifying them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, also, on the subject of scent-lok clothing....whilst researching the ozone thing, I came across a study....they hid a guy in scent lok clothing from a trained patrol dog.And another guy without scent-lok.

Took the dog 14 seconds to find the guy without scent-lok.

Took the dog 19 seconds to find the guy with scent-lok...

Yeah...the stuff works great....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can you tell I haven't been an active K-9 handler in 20 years? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will never give up any green for something as useless as this, if anything I'll go out of my way to mimic the ranch hands that service the windmill pumps,tend fences/gates and herd cattle out here in the wide open as it certainly doesn't spook the venisons. From my experience foreign odors/cover scents tend to raise flags literally.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can you tell I haven't been an active K-9 handler in 20 years? smile

No Pat...you still got what it takes old man!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money on that stuff either, but I assure that the wind is MUCH more of an issue in the hardwood swamps and pine thickets than it is open areas. I totally agree about foreign scents, and around here, any human scent is foreign. Until hunting season, there is zero intrusion by humans into these areas. Not all animals and areas are the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money on that stuff either, but I assure that the wind is MUCH more of an issue in the hardwood swamps and pine thickets than it is open areas. I totally agree about foreign scents, and around here, any human scent is foreign. Until hunting season, there is zero intrusion by humans into these areas. Not all animals and areas are the same.

Absolutely..we have some heavy cover along the East Loop river we hunt besides the wide open and I certainly won't push a bad position just for the sake of being there if the winds aren't in my favor.

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grin...we don't have anything BUT bad positions. (Not that "Scent Lok" helps.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might want to check in with Swampy I'm sure he'd be more than willing to share volumes of his expertise. grin

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There you go. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Interesting you mention the ionizing thing, I presume you mean the ozone generate. Due to another thread here, a member got me thinking about those and I started researching....seems if you are in an enclosed blind,pop-up or box blind, they could be of some definite benefit. Sticking one to the tree above your open stand might not be as beneficial.

Yep thats what I was talking about, wrong word I guess I remembered.

I have NO clue how or why it would work, only that a guy I trust in a box blind (sweat boxes we call em) uses one for bowhunting and swears by it.

I hunt out of a box at times too, and its probably 98% sealed shut but I still have it set up such that I hunt on a particular wind and unfortunatley thats a south wind instead of a north wind. If they go downwind of the box there is always a chance they will alert.

Don't find the need to spend the money to test that unit out though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Some people swear it works. My BIL says it works cause deer come form down wind and they don'r smell him. I got a small buck 2 evenings ago. I came from a long scout, old pants form work and a jacket I have never washed. The buck came from behind me . He didn't smell me from 20' down wind and I was only 10' up in the tree. SOmetimes , ya just get away with one.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got racks to fill a 55 gallon drum and never wore scent wear/gear. Doesn't take a $500 outfit to kill a deer imo.......Although if I had a TV hunting show and they were a sponsor I'd tell you it's needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember in my younger days washing clothes in baking soda. Shaving my head walking to stands half naked. Leaving my recurve in the tree overnite. I would see some whitetails down wind of me even shot a few. But I was fanatic about it. I no longer bother.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to the Africa forum and read about the contraband dog used.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
More up there for you now Jim wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
all that stuff is part of the "machine" that the hunting industry has created in order to get you to spend big money on just another set of camo clothing, scent free soap, or a spray bottle of water such as dead down wind. Much like many other BS products that are out there. Learn to effectively hunt the wind. That is how you overcome the nose of a deer or any other animal with such an acute sense of smell. I once owned scent lock when I was 18, and it never kept me from being winded when a deer was down wind. Traded it for a boat motor the next year to a friend. Will never use again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I bowhunt whitetails now I had a doe wind me at 125 yards. I had work clothes on and was smoking menthol camels. She snuck up to me at about 60 she saw me in the tree. Got a limb between me & her and came into about 25. I just hunt naive deer now. Smelly.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it might work and I'll tell you why. I've noticed deer before that clearly smelled me, that did not alert at all, or at least not seriously. I could see them and knew they were smelling me but they didn't blow and flag off. Most of these were at a distance. On the other hand, a deer that winds me at twenty yards will blow and flag off every single time.

Where I hunt, deer smell people all the time. Whether it is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away across the river, my dad getting some logs out, or the people living another quarter mile across the creek, they smell people nearly every day. If they alerted every time they smelled someone, they would be run ragged.

As I observed, deer are capable of categorizing the immediacy of a threat by how strong the odor is. Simply put, they can tell if the smell is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away or someone sitting in a blind twenty yards away. One scent is merely part of the backdrop in which he lives, the other is a dire threat that requires immediate action. IF scent control through any means can make a guy sitting in a blind twenty yards away smell more like the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away instead of what he actually is, then it can work.

Does that mean that the deer doesn't smell the guy. No, and that is why those dog tests don't prove much. The dogs were told to go find a guy. They don't care if he smelled like he was twenty yards away or a quarter away, they smelled him and they went and found him. But dogs can't talk and say, "Hey, you sure didn't smell like you were that close."

Sure, you should try to hunt the wind as much as possible, but where I live that is often impossible. I look at a weather forecast the night before I go hunting to see where the wind is going to be from so I can get an idea of where to hunt. When I get up, I check it again on the internet and outside. Then I drive the forty-five minutes or so to my place. On the way, I pass a paper mill and I'm always able to see which way the wind is blowing by the smoke. Then, when I open the gate, I check it again. Then when I get on the stand I check it again. I can't tell you how many times the internet and the wind at home are one way, the paper mill another, the gate another, and finally on the stand, another direction yet. And often on the stand, it is blowing one way and five minutes later another and ten minutes after that, still another.

I don't know if the stuff works, but if it did, even simply by REDUCING the scent, it could well be worth it. That buck might think he is smelling a guy walking down a fence row half a mile away instead of you waiting to stick an arrow in him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really love it when I'm watching a hunting show on TV and a guy starts spraying himself from head to toe with magic mist that will act as a cloaking device

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/22/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Obviously anything thats clean and can help is a plus. But I don't use the stuff anymore. Mostly because I don't bowhunt.

When bowhunting we'd take every chance we could, bathe, spray, clothes, and still do our best to alwyas hunt the wind totally.... like I said, trying to be within 30 feet or 45 feet of any animal with a bow, you do whatever you can.

After learning more about ozone the other week in a water treatment plant I'd even go Ozonics after that week long class as another tool in the basket.

But nothing but wind direction is 110%

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I think it might work and I'll tell you why. I've noticed deer before that clearly smelled me, that did not alert at all, or at least not seriously. I could see them and knew they were smelling me but they didn't blow and flag off. Most of these were at a distance. On the other hand, a deer that winds me at twenty yards will blow and flag off every single time.

Where I hunt, deer smell people all the time. Whether it is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away across the river, my dad getting some logs out, or the people living another quarter mile across the creek, they smell people nearly every day. If they alerted every time they smelled someone, they would be run ragged.

As I observed, deer are capable of categorizing the immediacy of a threat by how strong the odor is. Simply put, they can tell if the smell is the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away or someone sitting in a blind twenty yards away. One scent is merely part of the backdrop in which he lives, the other is a dire threat that requires immediate action. IF scent control through any means can make a guy sitting in a blind twenty yards away smell more like the guy fixing his fence a quarter mile away instead of what he actually is, then it can work.

Does that mean that the deer doesn't smell the guy. No, and that is why those dog tests don't prove much. The dogs were told to go find a guy. They don't care if he smelled like he was twenty yards away or a quarter away, they smelled him and they went and found him. But dogs can't talk and say, "Hey, you sure didn't smell like you were that close."

Sure, you should try to hunt the wind as much as possible, but where I live that is often impossible. I look at a weather forecast the night before I go hunting to see where the wind is going to be from so I can get an idea of where to hunt. When I get up, I check it again on the internet and outside. Then I drive the forty-five minutes or so to my place. On the way, I pass a paper mill and I'm always able to see which way the wind is blowing by the smoke. Then, when I open the gate, I check it again. Then when I get on the stand I check it again. I can't tell you how many times the internet and the wind at home are one way, the paper mill another, the gate another, and finally on the stand, another direction yet. And often on the stand, it is blowing one way and five minutes later another and ten minutes after that, still another.

I don't know if the stuff works, but if it did, even simply by REDUCING the scent, it could well be worth it. That buck might think he is smelling a guy walking down a fence row half a mile away instead of you waiting to stick an arrow in him.

It.
Doesn't.
Work.

I also love how people think wind travels in a linear fashion.. It doesn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my tree stands I have a thin piece of yarn hanging from a limb about eye level 18 feet high next to me to check the wind.

I have two others near ground level hanging from branches.

It's not at all unusual to have them pointing different directions or having one hanging dead still while others are moving with the breeze.

All three are within a 40 yard area. Funny how many times the one next to me is blowing right at the expected direction of game, but the one down on the trail is blowing and moving right in my direction.

Hang some yarn or ribbons in 3-4 locations. I doubt they will all be the same direction all the time. Unless a storm is blowing in.

I've also watched the smoke from my wind checker blow straight away and then swirl into another direction when 6-8 feet away.

Your mileage may vary.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw a picture a long time back of a private range that had the berm at 50 yds. Shooter had windflags every 10 yds, each one were in a different direction.

Have no idea about scentloc clothing but years ago someone had on the market a body soap that would kill your scent. Not sure about how the deer felt about it, but I sure didn't stink the truck up much on the way home, well except for the mexican food I had on the way.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
In my tree stands I have a thin piece of yarn hanging from a limb about eye level 18 feet high next to me to check the wind.

I have two others near ground level hanging from branches.

It's not at all unusual to have them pointing different directions or having one hanging dead still while others are moving with the breeze.

All three are within a 40 yard area. Funny how many times the one next to me is blowing right at the expected direction of game, but the one down on the trail is blowing and moving right in my direction.

Hang some yarn or ribbons in 3-4 locations. I doubt they will all be the same direction all the time. Unless a storm is blowing in.

I've also watched the smoke from my wind checker blow straight away and then swirl into another direction when 6-8 feet away.

Your mileage may vary.

This has been my experience, as well. Wind can shift and swirl all over the place. And, no, I'll never spend a cent on Scent-Crock...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.