Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I know this has bound to have been discussed here. The search function didn't produce anything with the terms "scent lok" or "scent lock."

This is my first year to bow hunt seriously and I listened to the owner of scent lok make his case. Sounded convincing with what I know about charcoal's absorbancy abilities. That said, his livelihood depends on it, so he's biased.

How about you guys? Whatcha think?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snake oil, with a purity of 100%.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What ever they are selling, nothing beats keeping the wind in your face.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No it doesn't, unless you can hermetically seal your mouth, eyes, nose, ears and skin, you will be smelt.

Wind is your achilles heel, recognize it, use it, be busted by it and deal with it.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Agree. It's a ridiculous 'concept' that has no basis in reality.

IN other words...snake oil.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Agree. It's a ridiculous 'concept' that has no basis in reality.

IN other words...snake oil.

Yep.

Think about all the other things that have an odor, such as the lubricants on your bow cams, and what krp says. List is long

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am freaking amazed at the array of clothing and other scent masking gear that guys have at my club. I don't care how many big bucks or does they bring back to the cabin, but you cannot convince me it has anything to do with "masking" their scent. Unless they wrap up in a plastic bag, including their head I MIGHT believe that.

IMHO, I call bullshit on the scent masking crap on the market.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am freaking amazed at the array of clothing and other scent masking gear that guys have at my club. I don't care how many big bucks or does they bring back to the cabin, but you cannot convince me it has anything to do with "masking" their scent. Unless they wrap up in a plastic bag, including their head I MIGHT believe that.

IMHO, I call bullshit on the scent masking crap on the market.

Plastic bags have a scent too. smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^

This. Exactly.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch a police dog find contraband and then think about how it could possibly help you at all.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Watch a police dog find contraband and then think about how it could possibly help you at all.

We did exactly that to test the stuff�..stuck some dope in a pile of scent loo clothing.

The clothing might as well have not been there at all...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Unlike my Boarder Ghillie with Chit�Lok technology. Made from recycled product direct from the border environment, government approved.

Premium seamstress price for extra used depends.

Vacuum sealed for guaranteed fresh and potent.

Don't stick out like a yankee turd in a punch bowl. Become a border turd and blend in to score that big buck of a lifetime.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit I use the spray stuff, I don't have much faith in it but I still use it just in case. as for the charcoal infused expensive clothing? HA! no i don't use it. only reason I use the spray stuff is in case I leave a scent trail on the way in, I know aint nothing I can do about me being there scent wise but oh well. hunt the wind.
95% of the "hunting" schit in cabelas is gimmicks. sometimes less is more

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So the consensus is that it's bogus. The science behind it seemed convincing. The owner of the company denied it being 100 percent effective, but claimed a large percentage of odors were absorbed.

Just curious, did any of you actually try it? I'm not trolling, just curious if you've seen it fail in the field. Also, know of any studies showing its a sham?

It's really expensive and I'd have figured it would have been proven fake by now. It's been out for at least a decade I think.

It never mattered to me before, I was shooting a rifle from long way off. Just wanted to see what you more experienced bowhunters thought. Thanks fellas.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Scent lok clothing works as good as the Flobee does on hair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
So the consensus is that it's bogus. The science behind it seemed convincing. The owner of the company denied it being 100 percent effective, but claimed a large percentage of odors were absorbed.

Just curious, did any of you actually try it? I'm not trolling, just curious if you've seen it fail in the field. Also, know of any studies showing its a sham?

It's really expensive and I'd have figured it would have been proven fake by now. It's been out for at least a decade I think.

It never mattered to me before, I was shooting a rifle from long way off. Just wanted to see what you more experienced bowhunters thought. Thanks fellas.

Very difficult to prove in the field UNLESS a sxs comparison can be fabricated, thus excuses abound and the seller makes his money.......

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by AndySpencer

The product has been out for a long time, as a marketing standpoint it needs a certain percentage of consumers to believe the advertising to stay profitable.

The butt out tool has been around a long time too.

Besides evidence like Ingwe showed, the marketing claims belie the physics of charcoal. Charcoal absorbs contaminates from all over, not just your ass and armpits, and quickly. Once saturated it is ineffective. Reactivating charcoal takes a temperature of 600 to 900 degrees. The claim scent lok can be reactivated in the dryer is absolutely false, it also can't be reactivated in the washer with a secret formula.

Don't know what they claim now after losing a court case when some hunters sued them and won in federal court for false advertising.

And ya, I was given some once, didn't make a difference to elk... but my hunting partners commented on how my ass odor was pleasantly fresh...

Kent

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glad you knew of the court case Kent. They did get their butts in a sling over their claims.Deer and elk olfaction works in basically the same way dog olfaction works ,and the smell coming off people works the same for both species. It is Impossible to hide more than just barely fractionally( I'm a college level research Professor Olfactory Nerd�.thats my official title grin )

Last edited by ingwe; 09/17/14.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I just don't like to be bullchitted and played for a fool with outlandish claims, and once caught act like nothing happened and business as usual... reminds me of our politicians.
Kent

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No gimic

I have noticed over last 30 years of bow hunting I do tend to see more animals if I am more careful regarding my scent control during the season. Storing clothes outside or in a container. Washing them with baking soda, washing twice a day unscented soap, rubber boots. Not hunting a stand more than twice a week, moving stands frequently, not hunting a stand if wind is not right, hanging stand over 20 ft etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.