Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9039529 07/21/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just got a traeger wood pellet BBQ yesterday.

Have several buds that have these and swear by them.

Pellets come to the elecric element by an auger. A fan blows the hot smoke in a convection mode, so they cook evenly without having to turn your meat.

Gotta get some chicken today and give it a try-out.

$299. with a free cover, out the door at Costco. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyone else have one of these? How do you like it?

Thanks! Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 07/21/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ055#.U81HzyqF_AM

So far so good. Makes great food. Last time I used it tho' my fire went out a few times. Suspect it needs a good cleaning as there's quite a bit of pellet ash in the bottom.

Temps varied quite a bit on a breezy day so I hung a large towel over the hopper as a wind baffle. Problem went away.

Play around with different pellets to get different flavor profiles till you find what you like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend has a couple and loves them, I don't have one.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Grilled a whole chicken yesterday evening...It was the BEST chicken I've ever ate in my LIFE!

This thing is GREAT!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Grilled a whole chicken yesterday evening...It was the BEST chicken I've ever ate in my LIFE!

This thing is GREAT!

Virgil B.

I get the impression you've never ate chicken off the Green Egg

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy of mine uses a Green Mountain (Traeger knock off) for competition. It's a good smoker, but it can struggle in extreme cold or windy conditions if not "blanketed". It can also be tough to get good smoke into the larger cuts of meat like brisket or pork butts. For those cuts he uses an A-Maze-N Smoker to add smoke to the cook. All in all it's a great set it and forget it smoker.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
It can also be tough to get good smoke into the larger cuts of meat like brisket or pork butts. For those cuts he uses an A-Maze-N Smoker to add smoke to the cook. All in all it's a great set it and forget it smoker.

Mike

Mike, I like my Ttraeger very much and it's a great set it and forget it smoker but I've found that pellet selection can make a sustatial difference and lately I've taken to lighting big chunks of hickory on fire with my propane torch and placing them in the bottom of the smoker or even right on the grate.

I have a an Amazing smoker and don't think much of it.

Different strokes I guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. I use the A-Maze-N to cold smoke cheese and it works fine for that, but I like your idea of the large chunks of hardwood in the bottom better.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rec Tec Pellet grill, and love it, it's built very heavy duty. I also have great luck with the A Maze N tube for smoke, mine is 18 inches long. A key to making it work good is to take five minutes with a torch lighting the upper 2 inches all the way around. When I didnt do that it didnt work good. I get tons of smoke out of mine, so try that maybe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a side note, poultry does not have the same makeup as pork and beef, so slow cooking offers no advantage and in fact you can get rubbery meat, just grill or smoke bbq your turkey at normal temps and you will be fine, same with chicken and cornish hens, etc.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya over the years i have come to the same conclusion. i use my weber kettle with a chimney load of kingsford and a few chunks of wood. i cover the grate with foil and sit the chicken on that with a little rub on it and let it cook that way. when its done, i smear some bbq sauce on it, pull the foil and let it crisp real quick right on the grate. it comes out excellent every time. plenty of smoke, juicy and done all the way through.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been using a big Traeger , had it for 8-9 years, the one with the stainless tambour lift. USA
I have always been disappointed in 2 areas of the Traeger.
1) Does not impart enough smoky flavor

2) Does not get hot enough for some recipes.

Good for slow ,slow cooking.
May try the Amazin' tube.
One grill won't do it all.

Cisco

Last edited by cisco1; 08/23/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cisco1

1) Does not impart enough smoky flavor. May try the Amazin' tube.

Don't waste your time. Light chunks of wood with a propane torch.

No brainer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cooked some shortribs yesterday on the new Treager using the 3-2-1 method and the recipe from there book.

WOW!!! My Wife said these were the BEST ribs she ever ate! and I'll have to agree!

3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, and acually only 1/2 hour to "set" the BBQ sauce.

They were so tender the ribs fell in half while trying to pick 'em up with the tongs!

YUM YUM! Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Traeger has a few minor quirks but nothing to get excited about.

Try various pellets to find the flavor profile that you like best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Daughter and Son-in-Law just gave us a Traeger 155 with the digital temp control. During the burn in it shut off with the ERR code. Tried it a 2nd time with the same result. Did some looking around the web and found several with the same thing, most talking about the thermal sending unit. Called Traeger and they put one in the mail quick, seems to be a few having the same problem. Haven't received it yet, but can't wait to try the grill. The Daughter and S_I_L make some mouth watering meals on theirs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Daughter and Son-in-Law just gave us a Traeger 155 with the digital temp control. During the burn in it shut off with the ERR code. Tried it a 2nd time with the same result. Did some looking around the web and found several with the same thing, most talking about the thermal sending unit. Called Traeger and they put one in the mail quick, seems to be a few having the same problem. Haven't received it yet, but can't wait to try the grill. The Daughter and S_I_L make some mouth watering meals on theirs.

Same problem with mine. I bought it preassembled and they did not run the thermocouple through both holes, one in the pellet box and the other into the cooker,It pinched it. Traeger sent me another and problem solved.

I like the cooker for ease of use and pretty good quality on some cooks. As others said it just doesn't get hot enough for some cooks. If i'm cooking low and slow its generally my Kamado or Stickburner.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.