Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9171687 09/11/14
N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well I done gone and done it. I've been looking for a cheaper rifle to use as a backup gun, and came across a Remington 742 in 308, did a little trading and got it. Ive always liked the looks and feel of them but the mixed reviews had me worried but decided to take a shot. Just curious if there's anything I need to know before I start waisting bullets? Is there a certain way I need to clean it? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
GB1

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm sure you will get a helpful answer but most of the people I knew that had 742s used the "heave them as far into the river as I can" cleaning method.

Last edited by JDK; 09/12/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Nate40
Well I done gone and done it. I've been looking for a cheaper rifle to use as a backup gun, and came across a Remington 742 in 308, did a little trading and got it. Ive always liked the looks and feel of them but the mixed reviews had me worried but decided to take a shot. Just curious if there's anything I need to know before I start waisting bullets? Is there a certain way I need to clean it? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Only way to properly clean that rifle is a complete disassembly. Unless you're very familiar with the multitude of parts inside that rifle, I would suggest you do not do that yourself.. That bolt head alone houses several very tiny parts that, if lost, may not be easily replaced..

If nothing else, that chamber MUST be kept spotlessly shiny.. I hope you were lucky enough to get a magazine or two with it that actually works - many do not..

With the action closed, shine a light in the slot behind the operating handle onto the back side(s) of the receiver. IF you see about 5-6 ratchet-like teeth marks on the rails, the best thing you can do then is to IMMEDIATELY trade it back in for something/anything else - because you're about to be the proud owner of a single-shot rifle..

After 15 years of working on those rifles I no longer service them - as of January 1st this year. The vast majority of those rifles are now battered beyond any real repair.. IF you happen to have a part of the bolt face ripped off due to a dirty/fouled chamber good luck finding a replacement bolt head..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
R
I got one in .308 a couple of years ago that shoots great, have killed hogs with it. They are not known for being the longest lived guns Remington made, but one that has had moderate use should last you a long time if used for hunting. I found the "gas block" (not the right term, don't remember the correct term but it is similar part to the AR) to be pretty fouled. It has a small spring and ball that control gas to the bolt. Easy to take off and clean.

RobertTx
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think that these guns may get a bad rap.kinda like the case of one bad apple spoiling the barrel ...Here's my limited experience with them..I didn't know that they were considered a lemon,and so I bought a 742 in 30-06 at a pawn shop about 5 ,or 6 years back for $300 ,no clip,but Weaver steel tube scope.I ordered a clip for about $25,or $30 .I never used the gun,and eventually put a Chinese scope on it..I then started hearing that these were not much of a gun,so I sold it for $300 with the Chinese scope..I ran into the guy that bought about 2 years ago,and he has been pleased with it..About a year ago I bought a Chinese scoped, 7400 in 270 on synthetic for $150 which Cleaned up really well,and I have shot it some,and never had an issue with it..Most people don't shoot these rifles except for hunting,so you are likely buying an old gun that hasn't been shot a lot..I don't like the weight of them,but like you said you got it for a cheap back-up.It's nice to have a gun that you don't have to worry about ruffing up on the four wheeler,or putting them up against a tree to get a good steady shot..You can get to most of the bolt with the clip out.I would just clean the barrel,and what you can get to without tearing it down unless it goes to acting up on you..I think as cheap as these guns sell for they are a pretty good gamble,and like that other guy said pull the bolt back with the clip out,and you can pretty well see if it's led a ruff life...Good luck

IC B2

N
Nate40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Well I took it out and shot it, using 150gr factory hornady american whitetails I got inch groupings. Its deffinately not as accurate as my Ruger 77s or my m700 but should be fine for what I need. No jams either, threw brass really far. Hopefully I don't have any issue s

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I took it out and shot it, using 150gr factory hornady american whitetails I got inch groupings. Its deffinately not as accurate as my Ruger 77s or my m700 but should be fine for what I need. No jams either (yet), threw brass really far. Hopefully I don't have any issue s
Oh, you will, unfortunately...., trust me on this one.. Again, I can't stress enough - KEEP THAT CHAMBER SQUEAKY CLEAN/SHINY and you'll have the best chance at keeping it running. Do NOT try to reload for this rifle - use factory brass (NOT nickel) only..

Of the 4 Rem semi-autos made, the only one that's worth a hill of beans is the 7400 - and that's ONLY if the owner's lucky enough to have a magazine that works.. Why Rem won't re-design those pos magazines and put a couple bux into 'em, I can't figure it out..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The members are correct, I have one as a backup it must be clean and lubed

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There's a good reason you came across that rifle cheap.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DeereJohn
I think that these guns may get a bad rap.kinda like the case of one bad apple spoiling the barrel...

Yeah, that's it. The rest are great!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Admittedly, Redneck sees the ones that have problems. That said, after a certain number, patterns start to emerge. Over the years, I have had quite a number of friends and acquaintances, most of whom were new to hunting, that purchased various versions of this series of autoloading rifles. None that I know of still own them. They traded them for bolt rifles or for BARs, if they still felt the need for an autoloading big game rifle.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can not explain why, but the two I tried shot about two and four inches. I bought a pump version, 760 IIRC, in .223 that was a tack driving shooter. Beats me?

Most of the numerous BARs that I have had shot well. The grade III Inow have does about an inch with factory ammo. Good enough!

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I my Younger days (over 50 years ago)I had a 740 & a 742. In those days the country we hunted we used Hounds and Jump dogs. Shooting could be fast and the Deer more than likely was moving. Those rifles seem the cats meow to me especially for a fast second shot if needed or more. The biggest problem was getting a magazine that would not jam the action while feeling in another round. If you found one you married it. And yes, you had to keep them clean and I was a nut for that. Some people say I still have bullets flying around in that country killing Deer. When I graduated to bolt actions, my ammo bill dropped a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned three or four,and only one chambered in 308 was reliable.
the 30-06's I had were single shots , and one 308 had the ratchet teeth redneck described,and the bolt usually wouldn't even close after firing.
I wouldn't own another at any price.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If someone is dead set on owning a semi-auto centerfire, the only one that's worth a hill of beans IS the BAR... But, like any semi-auto rifle, you MUST keep it clean, lubed and rust-free..

The only item on the BAR I run into from time to time, (maybe 1-2 times/year) is a sheared timing latch pin.. About a $40 repair, total - including the pin.., tops... And that's after that rifle has gone through a fair number of rounds..

FWIW..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Redneck
Well I took it out and shot it, using 150gr factory hornady american whitetails I got inch groupings. Its deffinately not as accurate as my Ruger 77s or my m700 but should be fine for what I need. No jams either (yet), threw brass really far. Hopefully I don't have any issue s
Oh, you will, unfortunately...., trust me on this one.. Again, I can't stress enough - KEEP THAT CHAMBER SQUEAKY CLEAN/SHINY and you'll have the best chance at keeping it running. Do NOT try to reload for this rifle - use factory brass (NOT nickel) only..

Of the 4 Rem semi-autos made, the only one that's worth a hill of beans is the 7400 - and that's ONLY if the owner's lucky enough to have a magazine that works.. Why Rem won't re-design those pos magazines and put a couple bux into 'em, I can't figure it out..

Come on... Tell us how you really feel ;-)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I inherited my dad's 742 3006 and I know it had a gunsmith go through it and replace a spring in it because that was a fathers day gift from me.
I have a hard time taking it hunting because I saw it jam and remember my dad telling us boys to "buy bolt because these autoloaders jam".
Having said that, the rifle never misses a beat target shooting and its cool with the bear and deer engraving and a montecarlo stock he put on it. Nice gun, but I don't know if I hate a nephew enough to give it to him as his only deer rifle...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
If someone is dead set on owning a semi-auto centerfire, the only one that's worth a hill of beans IS the BAR... But, like any semi-auto rifle, you MUST keep it clean, lubed and rust-free..

The only item on the BAR I run into from time to time, (maybe 1-2 times/year) is a sheared timing latch pin.. About a $40 repair, total - including the pin.., tops... And that's after that rifle has gone through a fair number of rounds..

FWIW..

I have two Benelli's, both very accurate. Unlike the BAR, they are relatively easy to do a thorough strip and clean. ~ 2,000 rounds through the two rifles w/o a single malfunction.

[Linked Image]

David

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A person shouldn't bad mouth the 742's so much because they fit the needs of many hunter, but more avid shooters wear them out quickly.

I tried a bar or 2 and realized I wanted the bar 2 because of the bolt release. The bars I tried were good shooters and I shouldn't have sold the one to my brother.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used one for several years and like Redneck says... they gotta be spotless!! I used to know how to tear one completely down but that was many brain cells ago... They do alright clean but Ive seen a lot of folks just try to run em forever maintenance free and it didnt work laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.