Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I tried to condense this year's sheep story, but I didn't do a very good job.

We hunted sheep in the Alaska Range again. We have hunted this area before and had some idea of what the terrain looked like.

I spotted some rams on day one. They were traveling with a black bear.
[Linked Image]

Better picture of the rams, worse picture of the bear.
[Linked Image]

They did not really seem to mind the bear, and he fed well within 200 yards several times, but never made a move toward the sheep. They watched him pretty casually while feeding.

We tried climbing up after them on the opener, but got cliffed out with waterfalls after about 5 hours. Bummer, because the route would have put us into good position to see the whole valley and some country we had never seen before. Back to base camp to try again the next day. Watched the rams again when they came out to feed around 8PM.

Climbed up through the alders the next day and set up a little spike camp. We saw the rams again around the same time. Developed a plan where we would hike through the valley that separated us, up the other side, and kill one or two. It appeared that there was a double broomer and a full curl ram in the group, and we had watched him butting heads and generally being a pest to the double broomer.

At the last minute, we decided that it would be a good idea to bring sleeping bags and pads. We have been in situations where you are waiting for sheep to appear before and wished we didn't have to back out and run back to camp. What the hell, they don't weigh much. So, we added a couple days worth of food, and a jetboil. We had seen a couple of caves that looked like they would work for bivy spots.

We had been seeing sheep in the green, just under the highest point here:
[Linked Image]

As usual, things didn't go exactly as planned. smile We hiked down the canyon only to find the stream at the bottom was 1) a serious SOB to get to due to cliffs, and 2) really pissed off.
[Linked Image]

We located a potential crossing, and I made an attempt. Naturally we had decided to leave our glacier socks down low so as to save the 2 lbs, so this attempt was a strip down to your skivvies and try to wade the creek type of thing. I was not successful due to slimy rocks on the bottom that were huge and slanted with the current, which was pretty fast. Hiking poles told me that the water was going to be too deep anyway, and I backed out. I'll spare you the picture of me in my skivvies (for now), since I don't have it yet. FYI, the water was cold.

Long story short(er) we ended up sidehilling up the valley and crossing about 3 miles up, then climbing the other side and working our way back.

Once on the sheepy side, we sidehilled through the boulders until we saw sheep. There were actually 7 rams, some bedded down and some feeding. Set up spotters and got a good look. We confirmed that one ram was double broomed, but we just couldn't get to 110% confidence on the ram that appeared to be full curl. They were working into a location that would be a problem for us - high probability of a 1000+ foot fall if you were to shoot a ram. We decided that we would back out and drop over the edge of the ridge in order to be out of sight, and then work on around a smaller finger ridge that would hopefully take us closer for a better look. One of the rams spotted us as we were backing out, and they all laid down and watched us. Of course, the valley between us is at the top of the waterfall in the Barney's pack picture above, and that valley has a glacier at the head of it. So now it is raining, and wind blowing down vally is gusting somewhere in the 70mph neighborhood. It is getting late, and the sheep know we are here... time to replan. We decide that my buddy will stay put in the rocks and I will try to sneak closer. He wants to watch the second ram to try and confirm that he's full curl. I want to get broomy on the ground before he gets into suicide position.

I take the little spotter that I stole from Art, my rangefinder, rifle, and binos, and start my stalk. The finger ridge that I'm hiding behind gets me close to where I want to be. I end up in a tundra/boulder field, which gives me great cover, and I belly crawl about 150 yards between boulders until I run out of cover. Rangefinder says 400 yards, and the rams are all bedded down. I take another really careful look through the spotter, as there are 3 rams bedded close together - the double broomer that is my favorite, the possibly full curl ram, and a heavy 7/8ths ram that we already decided was not legal. I found my ram, got a good rest on a rock, and took my shot. All 3 rams got up and stared in the opposite direction. None of them fall, or even have a red spot on them. I had missed completely... not a good feeling. I started checking horns in my rifle scope. Lamb tips, lamb tips, no lamb tips... ok, I have my target again. I waited for gusts to stop, held on the shoulder and shot. He went down.

The other rams stood around, looking at the dead ram. I stood up, in plain sight, and walked back to where my pack was, and where my buddy was watching through the spotter. He had decided that the second ram was full curl, but he had stayed back at 600+ yards, and couldn't make a determination until after I had shot. The rams were now at 800+, but not really moving off. Had I known the second ram was full curl, I would have stayed a little more concealed, but we had our work cut out for us, so we didn't pursue a second one. We took some pictures, caped, and cut up my ram.

[Linked Image]

Then it was back to the cave. Pretty nice diggs! At least we didn't have to pack it. Sorry, my sheep partner is camera shy.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/Sheep/2014/DSCN3093_Annonymous.jpg[/img]

To be continued when I have more time to type.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent write up, thank you very much for posting.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome , love broomed rams , yours is really nice. Good story as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thoroughly enjoyed the vicarious pleasure of the hunt.....

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on another great sheep hunt Chris.
That's some awesome country.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool story and pics. Good job. I hope by the time I can afford it I can still climb. But my buddy got a 72 year old with hip replacements and a knee surgery scheduled his ram recently.

Love the cave picture

Regardless still love seeing sheep while mooser hunting

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome story. It really described the challenges and terrain well! Congrats on your sheep!!

Eric

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Nice ram Chris, congrats! Looking forward to the rest.

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Chris, you did it again! Congrats on a nice ram bud.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks all, should have some more done today.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Been looking forward to this! Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. You are getting me stoked for my 10 day rut hunt this year.

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

My bed in the cave was actually decent. A couple rocks moved under the foam pad on the downhill side kept me from rolling out. A rock under my feet gave me something to push against. Then, with my knees bent, I slid down to a point where my knees hit the diagonal rock above me, and I was set - no muscle tension involved to keep from sliding. As long as I remembered to not lift my head up quickly and smack the rock, I was good, and I actually slept pretty well.

[Linked Image]

My sheep brother was not so lucky (he volunteered for "top bunk"). Top bunk was a little rough, with a steep sloped back rest, low butt, high knees, and elevated feet. He was ready to go pretty early in the morning, and not in the best of moods. So, we loaded up the meat, which we had stashed on flat rocks the night before so it could cool down, and left "advanced spike camp".

Knowing the way back to spike camp, and having daylight to walk in made the hike much more pleasant. We had a lot of sidehilling to do, but we were hoping it would be better than what we had done on the way over. We needed to sidehill up the valley, cross the creek 3 times, climb up the other side, and sidehill back to camp. This shows the center portion of the spike camp side. Our route was up to the top of the green moss (out of frame to the left), across to the top of the low plateau, and then across scree to boulders to spike camp. Camp is actually slightly lower elevation than the plateau. We made it without issue, moving slowly with lots of breaks. You can also see a sheep trail dead center in this picture. It looked like there were several "events" in the making of that trail.
[Linked Image]

One of our creek crossings had an interesting feature - water flowing out of a morraine. I don't know if there is still ice under there or what, but the glacier is at least 1/2 mile back.
[Linked Image]

We made it back to spike camp, built a grid of willow brush to keep the meat off the ground, and rigged a tarp to keep it dry. Then the sun came out, which required a nap. The nap was cut short by rain, so back into the tent.

Spike camp luxury. I don't like creamer, and even if I did I'd never pack this crap up the mountain, but a man has got to have his priorities, and who am I to tell someone else what to carry... Ultralight Backpacking! smile
[Linked Image]

The next day it was down the mountain, through the alders and over the creek to base camp. No pictures of that... it sucked. Alders should all be burned. Devils club should be burned and then the ashes should be pissed upon. Twice. We made it with minor scratches and eye pokes. Straight line distance from cave to spike camp is 1/2 mile, and spike to base is 1 mile. Each leg took a day.

Back at base camp, and packs off...
[Linked Image]

Next day I caped the head out, turned lips ears, etc, salted the cape, got meat nice and dry and hanging in bags in the shade. My partner was busy drying out the spike tent, clothes, and everything else we owned. We both took a bath in the river - no pics of that (you're welcome). Then we ate some tenderloin... it did not suck.
[Linked Image]

Part Duh
On our first failed attempt to climb the mountain, we had seen another ram about 4 miles away and were able to get the scope on him. He looked close to full curl... the distance would not involve too much brush or climbing, but lots of water crossing. We decided he was next on the hit list.

When we got to within about 2 miles, we spotted ewes and lambs in the place we had seen the ram. We don't typically see ewes and lambs mixed in with rams, so that was weird. We set up spotters again, and it turned out to be a group of 9 rams. Good luck is nice. We changed routes to one that involved alders again in order to stay out of sight. That killed progress, and the last 800 yards to spike 2 took us 4 hours. Sheep bro broke a brand new trekking pole ($180 set of Leki super light things) while crossing mossy boulders in the alders. Words were said. Harsh words. Poles are huge for climbing and especially descending with a heavy pack on bad footing, and two is much better than one. But they are extremely important when crossing fast water, because things have a tendency to shift underfoot and I personally have a preference for being above water, almost all the time.

Anyway, we set up spike camp in the only place we could that was out of sight from the sheep and out of the alders. It was sloped and uneven, and on mossy tundra that was about 1.5 feet deep. Pure luxury when you stopped sliding around. The tent pitch was pretty crappy. In fact, the uphill side of the rain fly ended up holding water and making a small lake, but it didn't leak....

[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/Sheep/2014/DSCN3195.jpg[/img]

We set up spotters and looked at rams while trying to stay out of sight. 3 rams appeared to be legal, with another one borderline. One of the legal rams had very unique horns that had a reverse flare until about 3/4 curl. They resembled the McDonalds golden arches when viewed from behind, and he was therefore named Ronald.

Somewhere along the line, we got weathered in for a day. Lots of wind at camp, rain, and fog up where the sheep had been. We elected not to chase sheep in the fog, although it is a double edged sword. Would be nice to have some concealment, but not knowing where you should be going makes it tough to get there. So we waited it out.

It was probably somewhere in there that I decided to take a Sponsor Photo. Thanks to everyone at Kimber for making a decent rifle that doesn't weigh a ton, Leupold for making a halfway reasonable scope, Mountain House for making good food that doesn't require me to learn the French art of cooking guts, and Leica for allowing an almost legally blind guy to see stuff.
And thanks to all the sweat shop workers, wherever you are, for building 90% of my gear.... appreciate it kids!
[img]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/cwh2/Sheep/2014/DSCN3199.jpg[/img]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That is fantastic man!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It almost makes me ashamed of all the sheep I killed for so many years with SO much less work...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It almost makes me ashamed of all the sheep I killed for so many years with SO much less work...

Sir, you are being a dick... Please do not pollute my post with such antagonism.

PS:
Thanks for the spotter...

And the tent not so long ago...

And the help with rifles...

And for all the help in general.

I guess if one were prone to being philosophical, he could lament not living in those times. As it is, I'm just happy to live in these.

I have noted the use of the operative word "almost" above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LoL. Great update!! What kind of tent are you using and which Leica binos are you using?

The tenderloins look awesome!! Yum!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Great story and pictures...thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes there are no good words and a guy just wants to punch the "like" button........

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.