Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It almost makes me ashamed of all the sheep I killed for so many years with SO much less work...

Sir, you are being a dick... Please do not pollute my post with such antagonism.

PS:
Thanks for the spotter...

And the tent not so long ago...

And the help with rifles...

And for all the help in general.

I guess if one were prone to being philosophical, he could lament not living in those times. As it is, I'm just happy to live in these.

I have noted the use of the operative word "almost" above.

Being a dick, as you quite correctly noted, I am compelled to point out the savy outdoorsman would cook the ribs first (before getting them ANYWHERE near a pressurecooker) and save the tenderloins for the owner of the spotter...

Ribs weigh more...

Just saying...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha, excellent write-up!

Enjoying the heck out of it, you have an enjoyable, humorous method of writing.

Nice work!

Can't wait to read the rest.

Hint. smile

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
It almost makes me ashamed of all the sheep I killed for so many years with SO much less work...

Sir, you are being a dick... Please do not pollute my post with such antagonism.

PS:
Thanks for the spotter...

And the tent not so long ago...

And the help with rifles...

And for all the help in general.

I guess if one were prone to being philosophical, he could lament not living in those times. As it is, I'm just happy to live in these.

I have noted the use of the operative word "almost" above.

Being a dick, as you quite correctly noted, I am compelled to point out the savy outdoorsman would cook the ribs first (before getting them ANYWHERE near a pressurecooker) and save the tenderloins for the owner of the spotter...

Ribs weigh more...

Just saying...

I brought you (a picture of) the tenderloins! I'm surprised we haven't started cutting the ribs with a saw. We packed all 4 quarters with bone in, and ribs wouldn't be that much more weight.... it is really the only good way to do ribs. By the time you peel 'em, you just end up doing a lot of work for very little meat.

Plus, eating fresh sheep ribs in a cave is... just... awesome!

Hmmm... something to think about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on man, get back to the story will ya!! lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Excellent story! What caliber on the Montana?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Paul Harvey....

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
A guy has to work sometime smile

BW, 280AI.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great story. What range finder and what cal Kimber, if I may ask. Also, what bags and spotter. Thanks, eye.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/18/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Shirley a 338 RUM for bears and all that...... grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story!

What boolits?

Why the critique on the Leupold?

Living vicariously through your post about something I will most likely never attempt.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks again everyone...

Originally Posted by eyeball
What range finder and what cal Kimber, if I may ask. Also, what bags and spotter. Thanks, eye.

Montana 280AI, VX3 3.5-10/M1.
Rangefinder: Leica CRF 1200

Bags... as in sleeping bags? Or packs? My pack is a Stone Glacier Terminus. Partners is a Barney's Pinnacle. My sleeping bag is a Wiggys... something. Their lightest one as of 6-7 years ago. Partner's is a Marmot... I think?

I had a (borrowed) Vortex Razor 11-33X50, partner had a Vortex Nomad spotter.

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Great story!
What boolits?

162 Amax.

Why the critique on the Leupold?

I had to go back and read what I had said about Leupold. The "halfway reasonable" comment? I have zero complaints about my Leupold. That scope has served me perfectly. I've broken a few Leupolds, but mostly by gorilla-f-ing scope rings. I think they make a good scope. All the talk about poor tracking has me wanting to test it more thoroughly.

Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Shirley a 338 RUM for bears and all that...... grin

We saw 0 brown bears on this trip, which was a little odd... (not that it matters rifle wise). And please don't call me shirly.

Partner carries a Tikka T3 Lite (Gasp!) in 270 Win (!) with a Swaro Z3 (WTF?) Junk, Junk, Junk. Never seen him miss with it... grin.

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
On the bear topic. We had seen a lot more black bears in this area previously. In fact, it is the same place I shot a bear 2 years ago. We skinned it out and got the hide in camp and cooling in the creek and when we got back to the carcass there was another black bear eating it. Only saw 4 this trip. The one in the pics was actually a really nice bear, but we were kind of focused...

When we got back to spike camp with my ram, we had a good view of a fairly large drainage, and we of course glassed pretty much everything in sight. We saw a black bear over a mile away stop walking, stick his nose in the air, and start running in our direction. He crossed a river, nearly followed our route up through the alders (he did it in about 20 minutes) and came to within 200 yards of camp. We thought he was smelling the meat, but apparently he was after the gut pile, because he kept going up valley.

Pretty cool to watch him follow his nose. Once in a while, he'd stop and do circles, or wander back and forth until he caught the scent again, and then he'd beeline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ahem, one must use commas when addressing another, (even when one must copy and paste them as this pututer requires) grin 280 anything sounds most appropriate for your endeavor - and most others in this fine state.

Let's get on with things now; we're all waiting for the next shot!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He crossed a river, nearly followed our route up through the alders (he did it in about 20 minutes) and came to within 200 yards of camp. We thought he was smelling the meat, but apparently he was after the gut pile, because he kept going up valley.

Pretty cool to watch him follow his nose. Once in a while, he'd stop and do circles, or wander back and forth until he caught the scent again, and then he'd beeline.

Lots of fun to watch bears do in moments what takes mortal humans seeming ages of grueling effort. And one never fully understands what 'brother' bear appreciates either. sick As they say though - the early bird gets the worm(s). eek

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/19/14.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Outstanding write-up, & oh-so-tantalizing pics! I have no way to explain how they can make men yearn to attempt so frustrating a pursuit. blush

Unless one's been there, one just can't comprehend the level of exhaustion required to make sleeping on lumpy pile of jagged rocks, seem like bliss. Or the determination required to get through being weathered-in in a 2-man tent.

A hearty Huzzah for your accomplishment!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Outstanding write-up, & oh-so-tantalizing pics! I have no way to explain how they can make men yearn to attempt so frustrating a pursuit. blush

Unless one's been there, one just can't comprehend the level of exhaustion required to make sleeping on lumpy pile of jagged rocks, seem like bliss. Or the determination required to get through being weathered-in in a 2-man tent.

A hearty Huzzah for your accomplishment!

FC

While in general agreement with your remarks, I striongly resemble the bolded one...

LOL

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great write up. Congrats on a nice ram.

How fast are you pushing those 162 Amax's. Need(want) a new sheep rifle and have been considering a Kimber 280AI.

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hmmm... I knew when I made the chart, but don't remember now. Should probably start writing stuff like that down. 62grains of RL22... somewhere north of 3K.

I'm pretty happy with the rifle, but of course it doesn't take a cannon to kill a sheep... most any bullet in the right spot works. I wouldn't sweat using a 7-08/260/243 84M.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice job Chris!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.