-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hate to hear this, Bruce. Is either elk tag for around Ely? Some one gets an elk here they make some calls offering free beer for packers. Sometimes they run out of elk before beer.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nope...area 61 N of Wildhorse, right on the ID border and a long haul. Had it been Ely, guess who would be on the hook as a packer?

I'm glad NV wised up recently and allows us to turn back tags this way. Stuff happens sometimes, and gears need shifting.

How are your blue grouse populations over there? They're dismal around Austin. I hunted Reese River area the other day, and saw almost no deer sign, no elk sign in the new area around the reservation, and we saw no grouse in my secret spot. It must be so secret now the blues can't find it. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bruce,

You are still invited up here for Mule Deer, and I can get my truck or quad right up to any deer you would shoot.

I am also trying to put together some Elk Hunts in W Colorado that us crips can still do. I used to Elk Hun near Craig Colorado and do real well, without too much physical strain.

+1 on freinds who will help you out, as well. Without my friends even the deer hunt and rodent shoots would be a lot less pleasant. Most of my friends hunted with me when I was still healthy and strong, and don't rib me too bad about where I am at the moment. And the good news is, your shoulder will get better and stronger, and I have hope of a new kidney and thus lease on life. not selling ALL of my guns, just yet. Only paired them down some. I still hope for another couple of elk hunts and at least one more return to Africa.

Keep the faith, brother, and come on up in October with a couple of other 'fire members and shoot a nice fat grain fed mule deer with me.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is why elk camp is so important.
Younger hunters need the guidance of experienced outdoorsmen to learn the ins and outs of elk hunting.
The experienced outdoorsman needs the younger hunter to help with camp and packing out the bounty.

Hopefully your one year hiatus leaves you stronger and more spry for next year.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
luv2safari ,

Hate to hear of you slowing down this year ,if you want to cruise to Florida and can hike 99 yards I'll take you hawg hunting . There will be some climbing also -we'll head up to an elevation of 8' and still hunt from office chairs in a 8'x 8' shooting house -plenty of hot coffee etc. , that's the best I can do for where I hunt.
OK well best to you bud!
Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No hills here. I just don't like listening to people feel sorry for themselves.

looking forward to your super human strength lasting you until you choke on your words. whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Backroads

No hills here. I just don't like listening to people feel sorry for themselves.

looking forward to your super human strength lasting you until you choke on your words. whistle

What words are those?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Backroads
This is why elk camp is so important.
Younger hunters need the guidance of experienced outdoorsmen to learn the ins and outs of elk hunting.
The experienced outdoorsman needs the younger hunter to help with camp and packing out the bounty.

Hopefully your one year hiatus leaves you stronger and more spry for next year.

Well said and +1 from here. I took my camp trailer to an elk camp in Oregon with a bunch of younger guys from my church and I did not even have a tag or license. I just camped out, told of hunts past, did a little reparing of gear and guns, loaned out a spare gun and when a bad storm came through and tore up all of the tents I crammed about 8 people into my camping trailer. Youngest kids slept on the floor with extra sleeping mats I keep with me. The hunt wnet on and a kid got his first elk, even though in shooting his elk he got a nice case of scope eye from my loaned to him 340 Tyrannosaur crazy blush

They all have now invited me to thier deer camp AND thier elk camp and I will probably go even though I wont hunt.

We old guys with good gear especially still have value around these places.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you need to dig a hole and pull the dirt over you.

Those words.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Nope...area 61 N of Wildhorse, right on the ID border and a long haul. Had it been Ely, guess who would be on the hook as a packer?

I'm glad NV wised up recently and allows us to turn back tags this way. Stuff happens sometimes, and gears need shifting.

How are your blue grouse populations over there? They're dismal around Austin. I hunted Reese River area the other day, and saw almost no deer sign, no elk sign in the new area around the reservation, and we saw no grouse in my secret spot. It must be so secret now the blues can't find it. grin

We did see several bunches not far from town, easy place to get to, drive right to it. Come on over.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Friday???

I'll bring my goofy setter patrol. crazy

laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

Sorry to hear that, but hopefully your shoulder will be back together before next season. I know I was pretty down last fall, after my knee was dislocated in late September. But it's OK now, and worked pretty well on our elk hunt last week!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hire a guide and ride a horse. All that money you were going to leave your kids will be well spent!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
safariman,

Just curious. Does Washington sell non-resident deer tags over the counter?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear this Bruce, but it was likely a good call. That is some pretty rough country.
We'll be up there for the late hunt, and will be thinking about you.
My right shoulder went out last fall, and the only rifle I can currently shoulder is an 18" 600 in 6mm.
Worked great for antelope, but am surely hoping I can shoot something a little more substantial for elk.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bruce, I had a torn rotator a few years ago. It wasn't completely torn and I didn't do anything with it as it wasn't my throwing arm. A few years later it was healed up and I could reach over my head again. Hang in there.

Duchess says hi and good luck.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Luv2safari,

Go see a good Orthopedic Surgeon and get the cuff fixed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Friday???

I'll bring my goofy setter patrol. crazy

laugh

What a coincidence, I'm off Friday! PM me if this'll work.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We want pics.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
safariman,

Just curious. Does Washington sell non-resident deer tags over the counter?

How's that knee doing? How is the grouse population? When can you get away to bust some ruffies?

I'm sure glad the knee is better. Your lifestyle and bad knees don't mix well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.