Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Need a topperfor the new pickup- Looking mostly at Leer and ARE- can't see much difference- Have read some reviews, each have a couple of nay sayers, most other rave about whichever one they have.
Opinions?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just picked up an ARE canopy for my truck and so far it has been great. What's the price difference between the ARE and Leer?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I highly recommend one that's higher than the cab. You wouldn't believe how much that extra space is worth sometimes, whether you sleep in it or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mine is the mx series which is higher than the cab but not full on old dude super wedge.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I did have the canopy place install a small led rope light down the middle of the canopy that runs on the same switch as the dome light. Pretty nice to have light all the way to the front of the canopy. The rope light has velcro that sticks to the canopy carpet. So far so good. Rock Chuck is right about the slightly taller canopy for extra room if you don't mind the look. I have an easily removable OSMB sleeping shelf that rests on the canopy/truck bed rails. Pretty nice to have a warm dry place to sleep if necessary and I can put coolers and stuff underneath the shelf.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had both. I have an ARE Fiberglass on my Dodge.

I put the old style aluminum on my F150 work truck.

I would just go with the best price.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very pleased with my aluminum Lifetime Workmate work shell. Easy access all around.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had Leer and Snugtop. I have a Snugtop on the current truck and would give the edge to Snugtop over Leer but only by a bit. They can get spendy when you start adding options.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing to consider when choosing a topper is get one that doesn't pour rain inside the bed when you open it or have it open.

Some do ... some don't. smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an entry level ARE on my truck. I'm happy with it. I never cared for the ones that were taller than the cab...dad and grandfather both had them....always looked funny to me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We all have our own ideas of what a truck should be. I figure that a truck is a work vehicle. If I want to load more stuff in it, a high shell is invaluable. I really don't care if it looks different. The last one I had was tall enough to load an ATV if I winched it in. I didn't have to take it off during hunting season to take the ATV and pull a camp trailer.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the top of the line ARE Z- series on a 2011 duramax. I have had to replace the lock/latch (under warranty) and have small but persistent troubles with water intrusion around the seals of the back glass. I also have a horrendous dust intrusion problem, but that's the fault of the bed design, with large open spaces that lead to the wheel wells. I taped it all up with gorilla tape and installed a tailgate seal and that helped a bunch, but 3 years later the tape needs to be redone. The cap looks great, but the water issue is aggravating.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have an ARE on my Tacoma. I recommend the opening side window option. It's great when retrieving or placing things deep in the bed.
I was having a horrible dust problem but bought a gasket that does a decent job at sealing around the tailgate. I then went to Lowe's and bought some weatherstripping and placed it on the inside and at the bottom of the camper door which seals dust out there, too. it's not perfect but it's a whole lot better than before.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find one on Craigslist that fits your truck and you will save a ton of money, even if you decide to get it painted to match. The price of a new camper shell or tonneau is absolutely nuts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snugtop has a channel on the rear window to prevent the water from coming in. I also recommend getting the taller than cab version for more room

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an ARE on my Silverado and when it rains I get a little water inside the tail gate. It also has a bunch of hairline cracks in the fiberglass. The paint on the bottom ledge (aluminum I think) has peeled off in spots too. It has been on for 6 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have been using Unicover for over 15 years with no problems. They are cheaper than Leer and have held up extremely well. I have taken 2 back windows out, backing unto the garage with the topper open, replaced the doors and kept right on going. They also fit correctly and I have never had leaking issues. The left is my 2008 Dodge, the right the 2012, both with the Unicover which I would highly recommend...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm unhappy with my Leer. The rear door flashing is held on with double sided foam tape and it falls off. I replaced it with pipe insulation. The Leer was 1/3 again the price of the ARE, and it looks the same quality. As for the extra height ,I would have gone with the higher one for my Tacoma, but they usually don't fit thru a garage door height wise. Fine if you keep your truck outside. I don't.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a century which is the cheap leer line.

get both side windows that open an double lock handles on the back.
it seems to be standing up, but keep the locks lubed...

ps. add a hard tined rake too. its handy for pulling and pushing stuff in the front.

Last edited by humdinger; 10/01/14.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm unhappy with my Leer. The rear door flashing is held on with double sided foam tape and it falls off. I replaced it with pipe insulation. The Leer was 1/3 again the price of the ARE, and it looks the same quality. As for the extra height ,I would have gone with the higher one for my Tacoma, but they usually don't fit thru a garage door height wise. Fine if you keep your truck outside. I don't.
when I built my garage, I used an 8' high door exactly for that sort of thing.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,825
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.