Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Any of you guys know what to do with these things, a buddy of mine has a HUGE snapper in it that's tearing up the fish.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Hire TurtleMan!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Catch it. Put it in a tub of clean water for a week or two before killing. Then butcher it and make mulligan soup.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Wouldn't know how to butcher one or make soup out of it.... Not sure if I'd want to anyway smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
here in Florida, we live in a 'turtle rich environment'. No need to resort to eating snapping turtles when there are all those sliders and cooters around. smile

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't know how to butcher one or make soup out of it....

Once upon a time in my younger days, we set some gill nets out for a fish fry. We caught some large soft shell turtles along with buffalo and carp, so being about 4/3 drunk, we butchered some of the turtles and fried some chunks along with buffalo fish. It tasted good but was so tough you could never get a piece worked up enough to swallow. I am thinking pressure cooker. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do you clean a turtle?

Raze his tail and wipe his azz.

grin

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Catch it. Put it in a tub of clean water for a week or two before killing. Then butcher it and make mulligan soup.

Yep soup, not too bad to clean. Just be careful when you cut the head off and don't let any one near the head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a fantastic soup recipe:

http://honest-food.net/2014/01/21/turtle-soup-recipe-creole/

The putting it in the tub to clean out for a couple of weeks is dead on the money.

A bit more on them:

http://simplegoodandtasty.com/2013/09/29/hunting-for-dinner-snapping-turtles-and-general-tsos-turtle

They don't die easy. That I know for a fact. My father still kills and cooks them, as did his parents (and their parents) before him. He has an old bathtub out back just for holding turtles for a couple of weeks while they get flushed out clean. To kill them, get them to bit a stick (not hard to do), hold them up by that stick and with a VERY sharp large knife, machete, or hatchet, sever the head from the neck in one swipe. Turn the turtle upside down, tie the hind legs, and hang like that so it can drain out for at least an hour.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I had turtle soup when I was a kid. It was good. It was a creamy soup with chunks of cubed turtle meat about 3/8" square.

Very tasty stuff. I would eat it again but I wouldn't kill a 100 year old animal just to make soup out of it.

A guy I used to work with told me that they got a snapper to bite a coat hanger, pulled the head out as far as it would go and chopped it off. He said they hung the hanger with the turtle head still attached on a branch and when they walked by it a few days later the eyes would follow them. Not sure if that's even possible but he swore it was true.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
No this is kill a 100 year old animal because it's eating the little 5 acre pond out of house and home. This thing head is bigger than my fist !

Kind of scary thinking about screwing with the critter when you hear / see it take out a full grown goose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, you need to catch it as well?

Get an empty bleach bottle with a handle and screw on lid. Tie about two feet of strong line (I like mason's line) to that handle and tie it on well. Use a steel leader at the other end of the line, and a good, stout 1/0 hook. Bait it with a chicken liver or chicken neck, and toss it into the pond. Check it every day or so, but you'll probably see it moving around after the turtle is hooked. Drag it out, put it in a tank to flush it for a couple of weeks, and clip the hook/leader after it's in the tank.

Be careful. They are incredibly powerful animals, the claws are sharp, they can take a finger (or more) off with those jaws, and they come out of the egg with a fearless, pissed off attitude.

I really like the damned old things, and save/move them when I can. Every now and then, though, one just has to go.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Every now and then, though, one just has to go.

No doubt but it would be nice if it could somehow be moved.
Shame to kill an old survivor like that if you don't have to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've moved many of them for just that reason.

The question, often, is where do you move them to? You have to move them a damned good distance, too, or they'll come right back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dilemma would be how to safely catch the dang thing.
I've only seen one in my life so I wouldn't have a clue.

I'd likely go with Mike's recommendation to call the Turtle Man. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safely catching one is a trick. A very large box trap (metal wire mesh) works quite well.

I've even been in on roping one (lasso). THAT was a helluva ride in a 12' jon boat and pulling it out took quite a bit. I'd not do that one again, though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I've seen the after effects of a cow sniffing too close to one.

The cow's nose was bleeding like she had been cut with a knife.

Be careful in handling this critter. wink

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
35 years ago a Friend of mine worked in a Wildlife Forensic Lab. He did some testing on a turtle. With the pollutants found, you wouldn't be eating turtle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Taconic11
35 years ago a Friend of mine worked in a Wildlife Forensic Lab. He did some testing on a turtle. With the pollutants found, you wouldn't be eating turtle.

That would be rather dependent upon the body of water the turtle came from more than anything else.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
My dilemma would be how to safely catch the dang thing.
I've only seen one in my life so I wouldn't have a clue.

I'd likely go with Mike's recommendation to call the Turtle Man. grin

Just grab them by the tail.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.