Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good day gents.

My hunting partner and I have a friend who lives around the Gramby - Winter Park area in CO. He has offered us the use of his snow machines and a place to stay if we should ever want to come hunt CO.

Would anyone like to recommend any good areas to start researching for elk and mule deer in that area. We would be out of state hunters, so most likely looking for over the counter tags, or zones not to hard to draw? He has mentioned he has had some moose wandering around his property, but I'm guessing that would be a coveted tag for the home state hunters.

Thanks you for any advice on where to start my studies.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk are OTC, Deer are a draw, that area is easy to draw however.

Moose, good luck..Start now (next feb-april when the draw opens) you may or may not draw in your lifetime.

Where to start would be the nearby NF or BLM.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/hunt.aspx

Last edited by rosco1; 09/13/14.
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for the comeback. The research so far shows me this is zone 28, am I reading the booklet right that zone 28 is all private land hunts, no public land, or does it mean the only way to hunt the public areas is with access through private land?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know anything about Game Management Unit 28. I have driven through on the highway and that's it. But I can read the brochure

CO 2014 Big Game hunting brochure

and I can read the statistics data on the CO Parks & Wildlife web page.

CO P&W statistics

There is a lot of public land in unit 28, like about 3/4 of the unit. Over the counter bull tags are valid in that unit. There are also public land either-sex elk tags offered for the 1st and 4th rifle season that require zero points to draw and public land cow tags for all four rifle seasons that require zero points to draw. So you can get an OTC bull tag for this year and draw a public land either-sex tag for next year. The only leftover tags, still remaining in that unit for this year, are for private land only.

Colorado mule deer tags are issued only through the draw but buck tags and doe tags require zero points in that unit.

Colorado moose hunting licenses are once-in-a-lifetime tags and it takes a couple of decades to draw one.

BTW it's spelled Granby.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I started with the CO interactive map, and when picking that zone it tells you no public access. I downloaded the pdf and will hive it a gander tonight.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Barkoff; 09/15/14.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Barkoff:

While you're at it, pickup a map of Roosevelt National Forest.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, you have given me a good starting reference, thank you...I'll be back. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You might locate the area more quickly on the maps if you go with Granby.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could look at unit 18 as well. Lots of public ground there too. I'm doing a first season cow elk hunt there this year. Should be interesting but I've never hunted it for elk.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.