24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is a report from Consumer Reports on Chinese brand tires. They're talking about Chinese brand names, NOT those made under the rigid specs of non-Chinese tire companies. The Chinese brands have no such spec requirements and it appears that their stuff is pretty poor.

Chinese tire brands are no bargain

By Gene Petersen
Published September 15, 2014
Consumer Reports

With prices starting at just $89, less than half the cost of better-known models, tires from China may seem like an irresistible deal. That�s why, for the first time, Consumer Reports included a few Chinese brands in our latest tests: Geostar, Pegasus, and Sunny.

These were included in the recently published the results of testing 20 all-weather and all-season tires for light-duty pickups and SUVs. A fourth brand, from Aeolus, was tested but not reported when we couldn�t find a ready supply of tires for consumers. This supply issue seems to be a problem when buying �off brand� tires, because you don�t know whether the tires will be around for any length of time should you need a replacement.

Tires are a global commodity, and many of the major brand names that Consumer Reports tests are manufactured in China. But those tires are designed and manufactured to quality standards dictated by the original manufacturers. Chinese tire brands don�t have that oversight, nor the marketing foresight to design products well-suited to the specific requirements of the U.S. consumer. While we can�t address specific tire build quality, our all-weather tests show that these tires simply don�t measure-up to most of the well-known brands. The tested tires from Geostar, Sunny, and Pegasus finished at the bottom of our ratings.

The Geostar GS716 was the most well-rounded of the three, offering excellent dry braking, very good handling, and average tread life. But wet stopping performance was just average, and snow traction and stopping on ice was only fair. At $114 in our 265/70R17 test size, the Geostar tire might appeal to a cost-conscious buyer. Better known brand-name tires average about $150. The cost savings is attractive, but we�d caution you to not gloss over the performance shortfalls, as the Geostar mustered only an 18th place finish out of 20 models tested. The cheaper Sunny SN3606 ($89) and Pegasus Advanta SUV ($95) came in a dismal 19th and 20th, respectively. These tires stop reasonably well on pavement and offer impressive hydroplaning resistance, but they have poor snow traction and just fair ability to stop on icy roads. Both models have a stiff and noisy ride, plus they wear quickly, too.

Aside from the performance lows, if value is a high priority, consider that the Pegasus cost about half as much as a top-scoring tire, the Michelin LTX M/S2. But keep in mind that the Michelin will last almost three times longer. Factor in the cost of buying two additional sets of tires, plus mounting and balancing, and you could save hundreds of dollars, not to mention get a better all-weather performing tire, if you choose the Michelin.

Certainly if you are on tight budget, and who isn�t nowadays, buying a cheap tire is better than riding on worn-out tires. But as our tests show, buying bargain-priced tires such as these Chinese models isn�t the right choice for the long haul.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good read thanks for sharing. I think Wally World sells some of them China tires.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't believe anyone would risk the lives of their loved ones buy buying cheap tires... I run ms2 on all my trucks thank you....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Good read thanks for sharing. I think Wally World sells some of them China tires.

Another great reason to stay out of Walmart.

Why would any thinking person support a company that does not employ it's own customer base. Are we really so desperate to save a buck that we are willing to dismantle our own manufacturing base?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Another great reason to stay out of Walmart.

Why would any thinking person support a company that does not employ it's own customer base. Are we really so desperate to save a buck that we are willing to dismantle our own manufacturing base?

Done much shopping lately?

If you're going to avoid companies that sell products made in china then your list of places to shop is pretty small. I can guarantee that computer or smartphone you just posted from is mostly made in china. I sympathize with your sentiment of not dismantling our manufacturing base but you're about 25 years too late.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Besides, I typically see only name brand tires at the local walmart. Goodyear, Michelin, nitto, etc. it's the small stores that have the brand you have never heard of.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Thanks for the heads up.
Cheap tires and brakes only increase your chances of an accident.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
The whole point of the article is to put Chinese tires on consumers radar, it doesn't matter if they're rated poorly. Eventually Consumer Distorts will do a tire review and declare that Chinese tires have improved so much that they are now the best tire on the market. Americans love that come from behind, underdog story and they'll lap it up. And in the process more American manufacturing run by old white men will be moved to manufacturing run by anyone other than old white men, which was the goal all along.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walt, you've got to quit drinking this early....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd not buy anything 'rubber' from China. [bleep], they have over a billion, they obviously can't make a condom that works.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.