Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any experience with their sourdough pancake holster? I'm considering one with the inside-out-loops for the Ruger GP100 4".

I don't anticipate carrying it IWB very often at all, but I want the option. Most often, it'd be OWB on a gun belt for field carry while hunting, hiking, camping, scouting, fishing, and that kind of thing.

I've been spoiled by Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen holsters for my carry guns, but for this one I'm considering something different.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one for a J-frame and it was very functional but it was not a lined, luxurious type holster if that is what you are looking for.

It was a bit stiff at first but it broke in quickly. Fit was excellent as it was formed to the gun, stitching was good and IMO it was well worth the price I paid.

Here is what I mean by "functional but not luxurious". Mine was not lined and I don't know if they offer that option or not.

[Linked Image]

Here's a link to an old thread where I sold this, it has several good closeup pictures so you can see the construction.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Simply_Rugged_Silver_Dollar#Post6455925

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good holsters good price and not much wait.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had several of them and they work well for OWB. The inside-out is workable, but with the revolver's I've used them with it's not really a good option.

I received a new one about a week ago and have to say I'm not as happy with it. This one is my fourth oxblood and it came wet with the color. I wiped it down as best I could, felt it was good, and wore it for about an hour. It stained the pants I was wearing. I hate buying clothes...that's $ I could be spending on important things like powder, bullets, primers, and brass. None of the others have been like this. I am pissed about it...

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JCM,

That sucks!

Wouldn't happen to be for a 4" GP100, would it? wink

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not concerned about the lack of lining. The GP is a field gun primarily. It will not be babied.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nope, not for a GP100, but the sourdough pancake would be my choice to holster one. Think I'd give the tan a try as if it did bleed it wouldn't be as dark...but again, none of my others ever have.

I've emailed Rob and waiting to see what he recommends.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travis summed it up in few words. I carried a Ruger SP101 in a Silver Dollar Pancake and it looks about like Jim in Idaho�s picture. The contour of the holster allows it to conceal very well OWB under an untucked shirt. I also have a Sourdough for a large Ruger that works fine even though I have not worn it much. I ordered a Scout for a Ruger 22/45 and specified a 4 inch barrel and got one for the more common 5-1/2 inch barrel. I didn't like that but did not feel like running around to get it fixed. I ordered a belt that was very functional but not a Sparks in thickness or cost.

Never tried the inside/outside loops. Stuff designed for two uses usually winds up working only half as good at each, but I can't speak to this particular item.

On balance, good products delivered pretty fast.

JCM, I received a Sparks 55BN holster a few months ago that had some black coloring come off on my hand when I took it out of the package. It stopped doing that quickly, and there was no clothing damage, but it was a first for me on a Sparks product.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I emailed Rob right after I made that post (while it was on my mind) and he's already emailed back saying he'll make it right. I don't have any doubt that he will.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
Good holsters good price and not much wait.

Travis

^^^^^

Good stuff.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one for a 4 inch Redhawk that I really liked. Like others have mentioned, they aren't exactly a Sunday go to meetin' holster, but a very good field holster.

I will likely have another one.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got one, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Mine's for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, and I've actually forgotten that I was wearing it a time or two.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I own quite bit of Rob's leather & its wored great for several years & he's a great guy to do business with.

Dick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is mine. Well made and the revolver fits perfectly. Actually my wife uses it more than I do as she finds it very comfortable when we are out in camp. That's her S&W 36 3" Heavy Bbl., .38 Spcl.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes,
I have been using two for some time (N-Frame 4" and Ruger SBH 4 5/8 both in oxblood) they are a great value and they have great service.

I'm considering another for my SP-101.

SC

Last edited by StarchedCover; 09/19/14.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
Any experience with their sourdough pancake holster? I'm considering one with the inside-out-loops for the Ruger GP100 4".

I have one for a J-frame .38, and think highly of it, though it doesn't have the extra loops. Conceals well OWB with clothing.

An outstanding choice for your stated purpose. My J-frame stays snug. Your belt will give you all the internal tension you could need.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wore mine w Ruger Redhawk 4". Like others....you forget you have it on. Good buy for $66. Wouldn't consider it for IWB for any reason tho

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Order placed. Thanks for the advice!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The name says it all. They are simply rugged design that works very very well.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have many Simply Rugged holsters, great holsters, my everyday carry guns are usually carried in the Cuda model, for 1911, 1911 CMD, Glock 19, Ruger lc9

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The simply rugged silver dollar pancake works great for my most carried pistol, a 3" sp101, very happy with it. Need to order one for an mkii

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see the OP already ordered one but here's some pics of mine in case others find this read. SBH Bisley with 3.75" barrel in oxblood SDP. Like others have said, you can forget you have it on...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
These are a few of about a dozen Simply Rugged holsters I use. I have been very pleased with S.R. gear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Notropis; 09/20/14.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yukon Pro?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a box full of Rob's holsters, from the Sourdough pancake to his Cattleman� strong side, cross draw, chesty puller straps� all are awesome and work great to secure the weapon, even without a strap or hammer thong� They hold up great and the pancakes do make the gun "disappear" on your hip. They are simple, rugged, well made and useful� tools� that just so happen to look nice at the same time. They are the only hostler I'll buy anymore.

Foxx

God Bless America!
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Holster came in (right at two weeks from ordering it).

It'll be perfect for the intended use.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad to hear it!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have two, one for a Colt Huntsman .22 and another IWB (or out) for a J-frame S&W 357. The first had to go back for an adjustment--it was too big, loose. The CS was good. The second is fine. They are not stiff from the get-go, are not lined, but are soft and comfortable against the body.

PDG for the money.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have sourdough pancakes for a flat top .44 special and a bearcat. I wouldn't put a python is one, as they're not lined and you will get bluing wear with use. On the other hand they're the best waist holster I've found for use with a pack. They sit up high enough that you can use a waistbelt and still get to your gun.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found another one in a pawn shop yesterday that fits the .44 Bulldog perfectly. Oxblood, with the inside-out loops, for $20. My wife even likes it and says now she has a proper field holster for her (the .44) pistol. shocked

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one the pancakes for a large framed Ruger SA and it is super comfortable.

The strange thing is that it seems to also work well enough for my Ruger Single Six and S&W Mountain Gun and a whole bunch of others. It just seems to be able to swallow up revolvers and still keep them secure while having the grip still positioned properly.

One of the key features for me though is that the sights are covered. It protects them and keeps my arm from getting chewed.

A negative that I have found is that they make the holster very long. All the pancakes I have ordered seem to go a full inch past the muzzle. For some of my guns, it is long enough to be too long because it pokes the seat when I sit. It's good for protecting the muzzle if you sit in the dirt and stuff but for my snubbies, I order them short on purpose sometimes, i.e. order a 2" barrel holster for an actual 3" barreled gun.

Like this...

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Oh yeah, my son likes them! wink

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dang, it's almost as big as he is! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.