-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been going through the last stages of getting ready for my upcoming ML mule deer hunt in Utah and I thought this range session would be my last. Ran into problem though. My TC 1X32 scope went tits up. cry

This pic shows the first eight consecutive shots with NO adjustments to the scope. The first shot was from solvent cleaned and scrubbed bore. Shots 2, 3, and 4 seemed to settle in. Shot 5 went way left. WTF? Shots 7, 8, and 9 produced a 1.030" group but to a different POI. Shots 1, 2, 3, and 5 are in a straight diagonal line.

I adjusted the scope up 4 clicks up and 1 click right before shot # 9 and that moved the POI left with no change in elevation. It became apparent that my scope wasn't holding a consistent POI or tracking correctly.

[Linked Image]

This was a new to me used scope I bought from fleabay and it looks brand new with no ring marks or any sign of abuse. The glass in it is very good and even in low light. I like the scope but ...

My first clue that something wasn't right was the clicks weren't smooth. It seemed to hang up bit at first but that went away. I also had problem during a prior range session because it seemed to not track right. I thought it was me twisting the adjustments the wrong way but now I what the problem was.

The bad thing is I'm leaving on Saturday and I cannot find a 1X scope anywhere in Colorado and I've searched high and low. No big deal though. My buddy from CA is bringing a new in the box Vortex 1X24 that I can sight at hunting camp.

One thing that's worth mentioning is the sight-in target I used. It is THE BEST 1x target that I've used. When the crosshairs line up the white border absolutely pops into view. The spacing between black sections are 5" and it leaves little to no room for sighting errors. I cut the black squares from 8 1/2" sheets and taped them to a large white sheet. DIY grin

--------------------------

The components
[Linked Image]

My shooting bench and accessories
[Linked Image]

The wide open Colorado prairie and the target at 100 yards
[Linked Image]

Obligatory shameless selfie of my old mug
[Linked Image]

My hunting buddies. grin laugh
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice paint job.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Who needs a scope with huntin' buddies like those!?!?! I'd rather stay in camp playin' pokeher.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
what was this post about OO OO your hunting buddies. you will love the vortex so will your buddies I have two and love them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Still looks like with your group you would have killed anything at 100 yards that you shot at. No comment on the hunting buddies or selfie.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well I would be taking a little extra time back at camp with the "hunting buddies" in making sure that scope was on and mounted correctly.

Anyway, check your mounts and ensure your scope is pressed forward before torqueing it down. Maybe something came loose is all I'm getting at.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.