Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RDFINN, the SS 3-9 is around $599. How is the LRHS $900 better? Twelve power is kind of in no man's land anyway. If you are going past 9x, might as well jump to 15+.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
RDFINN, the SS 3-9 is around $599. How is the LRHS $900 better? Twelve power is kind of in no man's land anyway. If you are going past 9x, might as well jump to 15+.

$600 vs $1000 = $400 difference, not $900.

12X is no man's land. Thats interesting.

Differences:
Zero stop (critical difference for me)
Parallax adjustment (big deal)
10 mils per rev vs. 5 mils (big deal)
low profile capped windage knob (big deal)
Great glass vs good glass

How would you compare the Bushy at $1000 to the nonilluminated NF 2.5-10x42 at $1600?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We could go round and round on this topic and we would both (well at least me) being speaking out of ignorance. I don't believe that power should define cost rather than construction and cost of components. From the thread started by George Gardner about this scope, he felt (or maybe it was Pat Sinclair) that the optics were very close to any high end Zeiss IIRC he'd used. Glass is a very big part of scope cost as I'm sure you know. I have no idea why they chose that power range and I can't speak intelligently about it either. There is, however, already talk about expanding that LRHS line with different reticles and power ranges from what a little birdy told me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doggie if you can't see how this is better than a super sniper scope I don't know what to tell you. at 1k I think the scope occupies a very good niche a niche no one else is really in. 12x isn't no mans land its actually all the power a big game hunter can reasonably use. the scope is a long range hunting scope. is there scopes better for other purposes heck yeah. I personally would like a little more power because with a little more you can also use the scope for long range load development instead of having to put a specific load development scope on the gun. but in an actual hunting application 12x will get the job done to at least 1000 yards on a big game target.

the other thing you get is lots of movement in one revolution of the turret, you also get a zero stop. when you add it all up YES its worth that much more than a super sniper.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by ctsmith

$600 vs $1000 = $400 difference, not $900.

12X is no man's land. Thats interesting.

Differences:
Zero stop (critical difference for me)
Parallax adjustment (big deal)
10 mils per rev vs. 5 mils (big deal)
low profile capped windage knob (big deal)
Great glass vs good glass

How would you compare the Bushy at $1000 to the nonilluminated NF 2.5-10x42 at $1600

Some of us have actually used and like the scope. Others are just guessing�

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You don't have to use the illumination if you don't want to. If it doesn't work, then you still have a normal scope.

That scope should be $500 for the features it has.

Name a single scope that has the features this scope has for $500, or even $1k which is about the LRHS's current street price.

Let's see�

Accurate tracking
Reliable return to zero
Rugged construction
FFP reticle
Zero Stop
10 mils per rev
Low Profile turrets
Reticle suitable for close range low light situations
Glass rivaling Zeiss and other scopes known for their superb optics

One year satisfaction guarantee and lifetime repair or replace after that. That's right. If you don't like the scope for any reason for up to one year of purchase, Bushnell will refund your money.

Who else makes a scope for the same $ that has these features?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

That never happens around here, does it? smile

Has anyone heard if the MOA version that will be coming out next year will be limited to the 4.5-18, or will the 3-12 be getting it, too?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by powdr
I cannot imagine a Bushnell that could be worth $400 much less $1000. YMMV! powdr

I used to feel the same way until I started researching their Elite Tactical series. Their lower lines are not even in the same ballpark. I learned enough about the performance of the Elite Tacticals in combat and tactical competitions to make me want to give one a try. Based on how mine has performed for me, it was a great decision.

Bushnell is certainly not only ones that build to multiple price points. Let's see� VX1, VX2, Hog, VXR, VX3, VX6� You get the idea.

The Bushnell Elite Tactical series are not the Bushnells of old�

Quit guessing. Try one. If you don't like it, Bushnell will refund your money.

John

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Gasman
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

That never happens around here, does it? smile

Has anyone heard if the MOA version that will be coming out next year will be limited to the 4.5-18, or will the 3-12 be getting it, too?

I have wondered the same thing but don't know. Might post that question over on the hide. I'm sure George would know.

I resisted mils for a long time, but it's a pretty easy transition, actually VERY intuitive.

John

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I resisted switching from moa based systems to mil based systems for a long time. I didn't feel the 0.36 click (0.1 mil) was precise enough. Silly really for two reasons; (1) The 1/4 moa is 1/4 of 1.047" at 100 yds...functionally 1/4 of an inch vs. a little over 1/3 of an inch for the 0.1 mil click.

Hardly a difference; < 0.11".

(2) The second reason is I don't shoot well enough for that tiny difference to make any real world difference.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's not so much transitioning from MOA to mils that bothers me, it's that I already have a lot invested in MOA-based scopes (USO, NF, etc) and would rather keep all of my optics in one format.

Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gasman
It's not so much transitioning from MOA to mils that bothers me, it's that I already have a lot invested in MOA-based scopes (USO, NF, etc) and would rather keep all of my optics in one format.

don't let them make you feel inferior over that. its simply a unit of measure nothing more nothing less. if one works better for YOU keep doing it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like everything about the scope, the only thing I would have done differently is offer MOA and SFP.
That being said...I don't see another hunting scope in this price range that is done as correctly as this one. I will be converting to MIL's because of this scope, just wish I grew up with the metric system because my brain wants to convert everything to inches which complicates things unnecessarily.
Enjoy your new scope, Gary

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 8nbait
I like everything about the scope, the only thing I would have done differently is offer MOA and SFP.
That being said...I don't see another hunting scope in this price range that is done as correctly as this one. I will be converting to MIL's because of this scope, just wish I grew up with the metric system because my brain wants to convert everything to inches which complicates things unnecessarily.

I don't understand the "conversions". Why are you converting anything? Mil/mil eliminates the need for conversions, FFP keeps that true for all magnifications, not just one. No need to convert anything, print your drop/windage in mils, make your POI calls in mils - why is there a need for conversion?

David

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Canazes9

I don't understand the "conversions". Why are you converting anything? Mil/mil eliminates the need for conversions, FFP keeps that true for all magnifications, not just one. No need to convert anything, print your drop/windage in mils, make your POI calls in mils - why is there a need for conversion?

David

The only thing you have to "re-learn" is doping wind, but if you were raised on an MOA scope with mil-dots, you already got DOPE for that anyway. The military has jumped on mil/mil with both feet because it minimizes math errors, and that is what washes, or used to, more guys out of sniper school than anything else.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

The same holds true for MOA FFP scopes - especially if you already own a spotting scope with an MOA reticle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.