OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
nice bull. I'm afraid it won't score well in the dink contest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations!

I'm jealous smirk

Congratulations anyway... cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You got a good one, congrats!!! smile

I was wondering what bullet is called a "slick trick" until I saw your bow in the later photos. lol.

Eric

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice bull, that right royal is fat! Congratulations on a fine accomplishment!!! Now, enjoy eating that bull all winter.

Foxx

God Bless America!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bull, congratulations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go Casey! Another big bull on the ground!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
To start this off. I want to thank the entire�crew at Mullins Outfitters, I called Jim the second I drew this tag and the planning was in the works. These guys did an outstanding job. Thank you so much Jim, Pops, Bryan, Glenn etc.

After waiting 9 years for this tag, I finally drew it! I was excited to say the least. I bought the best gear for my bow I could, new strings, new rest, new arrows, broadheads etc. I spent countless hours researching arrows and broad heads, as well as shooting several different heads before deciding on the Easton Axis 300, Slick Trick 100 gr. Magnum, and Nockturnal lighted nocks.

As I posted earlier, my grandfather passed two days before the hunt. Heartbreaking to myself and my family, but I knew I would have another set of eyes helping me on my hunt and boy did I!

After a quick and safe travel to Tusayan, I met my guide, Bryan and camp cook extradionaire, Glen we were on our way to camp to get settled in and go look for some elk. Unit 9 was not what I picutred, flat sage meadows with rolling cedar hills... Made all those squats and lunges seem less important then I thought they would be.

Opening morning found an area where Bryan had heard 14 bugles the morning before absolutely silent! Not a peep.� We switched tactics and went to glassing. It didn't take long and I laid my eyes on my first unit 9 elk, a bull.... Side note here, that bull was about the exact size of my grandfathers largest bull... From that point on, I knew grandpa was indeed with me on the hunt, just like I had hoped he would be.

The next day we switched spots and we were IN the elk! We had bulls screaming all around us, it was awesome! Bryan and I had basically agreed that the bulls were bedded by about 615-630 due to to the bright moon. That worked out ok for us, as we snuck into 42 yards from a bedded bull.

Later that evening we were in the same area, sneaking in and again we were in the elk! We had 3-4 bulls all around us, and CLOSE but papa must not have thought any of them were the right bull for me as I only saw one small raghorn at about 90 yards. Bryan saw a bull or two and said they were nice, but I never did see them let alone a chance for a shot.

Sunday morning, 9/14. I woke up with a good feeling about the hunt. It was my moms birthday, and I really felt connected to my grandpa when I looked up to the Heavens that morning and gave him his morning toast.

Bryan and I headed off to the spot we had been in them thick and it didn't take long before we had the bulls bugling, some close and some far. We got the wind right and decided to try the other side of the meadow this morning. We could tell these bulls were moving away from us, but we had to keep going. And thats what we did. We picked out what sounded like 3 or 4 bulls bugling in close proximity and we headed that way. After a little over a mile, we were in the bulls bedroom. We were behind come cedars, but basically in the open when we picked up the strong scent of a bull, CLOSE! Bryan heard him coming and told me to get ready. I was already kneeling with an arrow nocked. I clipped my Scott release onto the Bowtech and settled into a shooting position. I could see the bull right before he stepped out and drew my bow.

Now, this is the part where I KNOW Papa was with me. You know how bulls/bucks tend to only step out with�their head and neck out into the clearing? Well this bull, my bull, Papas bull, took that one extra step where I could see his shoulder, and probably 3 ribs. I never looked at the bull, just focused on the pin. I saw he had really nice fronts. When I drew, I asked Bryan "how big, how far, how big, how far?"

He said SHOOT! I repeated "how far?"

Bryan was behind the bush a little more then I was so he could not get a clear range on the bull. He was able to get a range roughly half way to the bull and told me 44. I put the pin on him and squeezed. I saw my arrow go through and behind him, but wasn't sure of the shot, as it looked and felt a little low,but still in the chest.

This, again is where my Papa was with me. The bull took two jumps, stopped and looked back, broadside. Bryan was able to get a good reading of 55. I wasted no time getting another arrow on the string, the pin settled and I squeezed off the trigger.

Neither Bryan or I saw the shot, but heard the tell tale THUD, of the arrow hitting the chest cavity.

We waited 15 minutes before going to look for the arrow. The first arrow was right at the shot, along with a little blood. There was no arrow at the second shot, but more, and better blood.

We went back to the shot of the spot, got a good range on the first shot (48) and waited. I know everyone says the hour wait is the longest hour of their lives, but to me it went quick. I spent the time replaying the shot in my head, thanking Papa for the opportunity at such a beautiful bull, enjoying a dip of Levi Garret, and asking him and the man above for help finding the bull quickly, and for him to have died quickly with no suffering.

As Bryan and I tracked the bull, we had solid blood. Not a lot, but solid, coming from both sides. About 30 yards from the second shot, we found my arrow, there was about 24" of arrow, including the broadhead still in the bull... That made us happy! We had absolutely no issues following his tracks, with blood about every 5 yards.

About 60 yards later, I look up and see a beam under a tree shining in the sun. I knew exactly what it was, but it took me by surprise. Bryan and I commented on it at about the exact same time. I nocked an arrow and took a path where I could get a shot if need be. Needless to say, the bull was expired. I got to the bull and didn't even touch him for probably 2-3 minutes, I was so overcome with emotion about my Papa, the hunt, the experience, etc. I sat there and let all my emotions out for probably 5 minutes.

Upon inspection, the first shot was low, but right through the shoulder and into the chest cavity,�exiting and leaving nice blood. The second was a perfect double lung shot, with the broadhead hitting two ribs and stretching the hide on the other side BARELY not breaking the skin.

This is where it gets bad... I LEFT MY CAMERA IN MY OTHER PACK! I have never done that before and I am such a bone head! Bryan was able to make some magic work and we got some good pictures with the camera phones.

As we got the bull broke down and quartered, we were lucky enough to have Jeff, Body, and Clark from camp come and give us a hand! They were able to get the truck 3/4 of a mile from the downed bull and we only had to make a couple trips out.

I feel so blessed to have been able to take part in the hunt, and take such a gorgeous bull, with my grandpa sitting there with me. I took the liver with me (Grandpa LOVED liver)�and I gave my grandpa his final liver and drink of Yukon Jack�in a very emotional event up in the pine trees, his favorite place.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Awesome bull and great story Casey. Congrats!

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Great bull, fabulous story, congratulation to you an PAPA!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats! Nice bull.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great job and Bull Casey!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice!! Congrats...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn man, the body looks huge. What did you bring to the butcher?

Find your dad a bull, and give him my regards.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jake, he was a heavy body toad! I took the rear quarters, the front shoulders, straps, fillets, and as much neck meat as we could cut off. There wasn't much left at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, now that's impressive. Congrats on getting it done!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Great elk

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm not the best scorer, and Ive never done an elk but I tried to do it best I could and got 347 3/8 gross.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Casey,
Big time congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.