Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Under WI law, it's illegal for a 17 year old to possess any firearm, anywhere:
WI statute 175.37[33]
Possession of a dangerous weapon by anyone under 18 is a class A misdemeanor. Giving/loaning/selling a dangerous weapon to someone under 18 is a class I felony.

If he was "holding it for a friend", that's illegal for both of them

Last edited by Snyper; 09/18/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lets forget he's not of legal age to be in possession if any firearm without adult supervision, unless actual involved in hunting at that moment.
lets forget he's not of legal age to buy a firearm or ammunition.
lets further forget he is not of legal age to smoke, possess or purchase cigarettes.
Much less that he's on school grounds.
not every person in possession of a firearm is doing right.
in some states the parents could be jailed if the rifle came from them.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's no secret that you don't take a gun to school, in your hands, in your pocket or in your car. He was a felon the moment he did what he did. He became a felon who got caught when he got caught.

"holding it for a friend", Damn if I haven't heard that one about a thousand times.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and boys and girls, in case you've missed this fact the last 100 times I posted it, "Zero Tolerances Policies" are not something the schools dreamed up. Your State Legislatures are the ones who passed "Zero Tolerance" into law. My copy of Texas Law was ragged around the alcohol, tobacco, drugs and firearms laws.

School administrators have to follow state law. They have to.

Alan

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The 'Campfire' is a shooting, fishing, and hunting site and forums.

Many of you appear to be lost. Perhaps, you were looking for:

[Linked Image]
seiu.org

[Linked Image]
bradycampaign.org

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rovering
School Insanity: 17-Year-Old Hunter Faces 'Zero Tolerance' Criminal Charges

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/18/school-insanity-alert-cops-called-becaus

How times have changed, and I'm not all that old. The boy's cliques in my high school were the waterfowlers that drove down to the valley and the deer hunters that drove up to the mountains. Fridays, during hunting seasons, there were enough arms and ammo in that parking lot to fill a Cabela's.

Us too, hunted before school and after football practice. Principal told us to keep the guns locked in the trunk and we couldn't just leave them in the gun rack in the pickup cab. /He was afraid somebody might smash and grab.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you even know about those sites? I don't. I think that people who purposely, knowingly and uncaringly violate existing firearms laws do more harm to Hunting, shooting and outdoor sports than either one of those dumbass sites ever will.

Does that mean that I like existing firearms laws? No. As a matter of fact I don't really like ANY firearms laws. But as a Law Abiding citizen of this Greatest and most Free country in the world, I'm going to abide by all the laws, not just the ones I think aren't STUPID.

I kept a shotgun in my dorm room at college and the cafeteria ladies fried my squirrels for me. You won't see that happening these days in the United States. But times changed. At that time I was probably one of maybe 5 guys that had a gun in the dorm out of thousands. Nobody cared. It wasn't against the law and my biggest worry was someone finding out when my squirrels were getting fried. Because at Louisiana Tech I was going to have company for a fried squirrel dinner.

So, I'm not lost, but I know dumbasses when I see them. And that kid was one. If he was really on the up and up he would never have allowed himself to be in a position where he was sure to have his firearms rights taken from him for the rest of his life.

I raised tree boys and I was the disciplinarian at our high school. I told each of them that they damn sure better make sure that their guns were out of the truck before they drove it on the school grounds or their Daddy would be the guy calling the police. They believed me.

Alan

Last edited by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr; 09/18/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A bayonet equipped rifle and 400 rounds of ammunition weren't anything I ever took to the range or hunting. He had other intentions. The dumbazz got what he deserved and it make others of kind his think twice, good on the school administrators for having the backbone to handle the situation as it should have been handled.

The story didn't say "Bayonet equipped rifle" It said he had a rifle a bayonet and 400 rounds of ammo. Who wants to bet the kid had a squirrel rifle in the car and a brick of 22LR?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now, I did have a situation once in which I knew the kid and knew he had no ill intent. We were doing canine contraband inspections of the parking lot and wen the dog alerted on his truck I called him out. The first thing he told me was, "Mr. McDaniel, I have a 22 behind the seat. My dad used my truck yesterday and he told me to take it out, but I forgot until you called me out of class". We did the inspection and I called his parents. MY only option was to recommend expulsion according to the law. I provided he and his parents with the necessary forms to appeal that decision. They took it all the way up the ladder as per my recommendations and the Superintendent, after conferring with my boss and myself recommended expulsion for one day. The police were never involved in the matter. They were informed but chose to stay out of it because the county attorney chose not to pursue the case because he did not have a case. The boy stayed home, did his classwork, for one day and came back to school. I have never had any agency, the military, or employer ask for school disciplinary records. In fact, they cannot get them without the student's and/or parents written permission.

We could not violate state law and refuse to recommend or administer expulsion, which was the law. What we could do was determine the length of that expulsion and work with county officials to keep it from becoming a criminal matter. The boy grew into a fine, responsible man and continues until this day to enjoy his firearms rights fully. He also does not forget to abide by laws either.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rovering
The 'Campfire' is a shooting, fishing, and hunting site and forums.

Many of you appear to be lost. Perhaps, you were looking for:

[Linked Image]
seiu.org

[Linked Image]
bradycampaign.org

Trying to insult others won't change the facts of the case.

He broke the law, and KNEW he was breaking the law.

If you think ranting and raving about "rights", and insulting those who admit the facts will make any difference, you're as foolish as you sound

Last edited by Snyper; 09/18/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The story said rifle and bayonet, unclear if the bayonet was or was not attached to the rifle which matters not. Many pro2A supporters seem to want to push the issue not wanting to comply with school or business prohibition of firearms on their property. It is immature and unresponsible to defy these prohibitions using the 2A as an excuse. The guy knew the rules and the penalties, tried to give the druggies standard response of "holding it for someone else/not mine". A Columbine like tragedy may have been averted, who knows better to err on the side public safety especially in these troubling times.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These stories pizz me off. The 2nd amendment is crystal clear and any 8th grade reading comprehension person can tell you what it means.

Do you think 17 year olds were not part of the militias? When the 2A was written, adulthood started around 14 or 15.

So he broke what I would consider an unconstitutional law. With no ill intent.

The 2nd amendment applies to all Americans. What part of shall not be infringed is so complicated.

Schools would be one heck of a lot safer if every car in the parking lot had a firearm. Instead the panacea of liberalism they have become.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if it's the same in all states, but schools here do not need probably cause, or any plain view, to search a car on school grounds. Student or teacher.

It's a condition, signed every year, of contract for permission to park there. You're subject to search. Period. Don't need permission or PC. Don't even need you there really

Last edited by pira114; 09/18/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Unconstitutional laws have no legal authority and ought not be obeyed.

be interested in how many that believe this to the bottoms of their heart are telling their minor kids to do just that......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We did the inspection and I called his parents. MY only option was to recommend expulsion according to the law. I provided he and his parents with the necessary forms to appeal that decision. They took it all the way up the ladder as per my recommendations and the Superintendent, after conferring with my boss and myself recommended expulsion for one day. The police were never involved in the matter. They were informed but chose to stay out of it because the county attorney chose not to pursue the case because he did not have a case. The boy stayed home, did his classwork, for one day and came back to school. I have never had any agency, the military, or employer ask for school disciplinary records. In fact, they cannot get them without the student's and/or parents written permission.

We could not violate state law and refuse to recommend or administer expulsion, which was the law.

There it is, a real-world example of the sort of process that goes on all the time cool

Strangely enough, most folks in education are all about the kids and their welfare.

I had a kid come through my class who, just the year before, had brung an actual loaded handgun (found on a front lawn walking to school through his rough neighborhood) to his middle school and showed it to his buddies. I dunno the legal gyrations involved in that one but the gist was he was back in school, with the regular kids, and it was all going to go away when he turned 18. Knowing the kid I agreed with the decision.

Closest I personally had was when we got back from a Saturday hike at a state park one time (Lost Maples) on a weekend and the kids are out in front of the school waiting to be picked up. This one guy had just left when a girl motions me over and tells me about a machete he had hidden in a flower bed.

Turns out the guy, who had never been out of the city before (and he was fifteen), was afraid of wild animals and had done the entire ten mile hike with a machete hidden inside his shorts grin

I was in a fix; if was just me I would have kept the machete and just talked the kid and his parents (if there were any to speak of), but the other kids knew I knew too. So, as I had to, I turned it over to Admin first thing Monday morning.

Turned out, since the machete was not even sharpened (it had been purchased at Academy the night before) everyone could say it wasn't really a "weapon". IIRC the kid was called in and given a stern talking to.

Couple of other points: It is my understanding that probable cause does not apply on school grounds, certainly not to minors, and that even my own vehicle is subject to search.

As pointed out, the seventeen year-old in this case was certainly a few sandwiches shy of a picnic. I'm further gonna opine that the smoking offense may well have had little, if anything, to do with the search of his vehicle. There are no secrets in high school. Just as likely OTHER kids told the teachers/school Cops/administrators that Rambo jr. had that stuff in his trunk.

Was he intending to shoot up the school? Not likely, much more likely really WAS intending to go hunting/shooting whatever. The bayonet and all those rounds? Hey, the kid is seventeen.....

My guess is, if the kid is otherwise clean with no priors, that if there is any way it can be done these felonies will be bargained down to some sort of misdemeanors. I dunno, since he is already 17, if they can be made to go away when he turns adult.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where is that limitation in the Second Amendment? I can't find it in:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Tell ya what. Strap one on and go down to your local courthouse and voice your opinion about these laws you dont agree with. Youre about as fffukkkkin dumb as this kid, and the fffukkinnn idiots carrying AR's into walmart for a jug of milk.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, right... He [bleep] with a cigarette. That's a capital offense these days. So, the kid is now going to be a convicted felon for no overt and none of the cops saying he was any threat at all, simply because we are all scared schitless of the Second Amendment.

Rome, has fallen. Bury her now.

Splash a little water on your face, Nancy.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Oh, right... He [bleep] with a cigarette. That's a capital offense these days. So, the kid is now going to be a convicted felon for no overt and none of the cops saying he was any threat at all, simply because we are all scared schitless of the Second Amendment.

Rome, has fallen. Bury her now.

Splash a little water on your face, Nancy.

No need, as I am wide awake.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick
Where is that limitation in the Second Amendment? I can't find it in:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Tell ya what. Strap one on and go down to your local courthouse and voice your opinion about these laws you dont agree with. Youre about as fffukkkkin dumb as this kid, and the fffukkinnn idiots carrying AR's into walmart for a jug of milk.

Odd, but carry (open or concealed) is perfectly legal in my state. Perhaps it is you who is fffukkkkin dumb for living where you don't have exercise of all your Comstitutionally-guaranteed rights.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Hey, the kid is seventeen.....

My guess is, if the kid is otherwise clean with no priors, that if there is any way it can be done these felonies will be bargained down to some sort of misdemeanors. I dunno, since he is already 17, if they can be made to go away when he turns adult.

Birdwatcher

In Michigan this is where the HYTA (AKA the Holmes act) comes in handy.

Link.

Last edited by 12344mag; 09/19/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 3,256 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.