-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Most everything I search and find about chrome moly and stainless steel is between barrels. I'm not trying to open up a debate between the two, but am looking for some clarification.

Looking to possibly pick up an action, which is chrome moly. Action does not come with a recoil lug. Any reason I couldn't pick up whatever lug and have it pinned to the action? Action does have very slight rust starting to pit in places. Plan would be to have it cerakoted, but is this going to be a problem?

Any thoughts/input is always great.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been rebarreling CM actions for years with SS tubes. CM actions work perfectly even if pitted; barrels not so much. I'll rebarrel additional CM actions in the future, but you can bet it will be with SS tubes.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Never had a CM action fall apart due to corrosion. CM actions get smoother with use. Weatherby tried SS actions for a short time & went back to CM with SS barrels.

Cerakote is the best in my opinion. It's not good for everything. You don't want to coat your bolt with it. If you do, make sure to stay off the lugs. Cerakote will make moving parts feel gritty. But, they will wear in quickly with use and be fine.

I bought a new Wby Mk V & took it straight to the gunsmith for Cerakoting. The day I brought it home it was raining several inches. I took it to the patio & layed it in the rain and left it. Figured I'd proof test this new-fangled stuff. Took it in wet & placed it in the safe for a week without so much as drying it off. My safe doesn't have a dehumidifier. Took it out a week later & it was spotless.

That gun has been on many rain soaked hunts & has not a blemish on it. That was in 2005. Cerakote is the best choice in my opinion.

You are correct on the recoil lug.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
...Any reason I couldn't pick up whatever lug and have it pinned to the action? Action does have very slight rust starting to pit in places. Plan would be to have it cerakoted, but is this going to be a problem?

It should work fine. I have a chrome moly action action with chrome moly lug and stainless barrel, all of it cerakoted. A stainless lug would have worked just as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.