-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any time from mid May to mid September is good. It really depends on what it is you want to do and see. If fishing is high on the list, you need to look at the timing of the runs so you'll be there for the peak of the salmon species you want to chase. Typically the best weather in the majority of the state is going to be the first two weeks of July, but weather is never typical. I told my brother that for his first trip, and he just came up for a few days over the 4th. It just so happened to be the summer with warmest driest weather on record, except for the time he was here wink

Here's a way to look at timing. Mid May we start to green up at sea level, later in May at higher elevations, weather is still on the cool side. June the salmon start showing up in the rivers in bulk, the weather is warmer but it can be a wet month. July is typically your warmest month, fishing is in high gear on the ocean and in the rivers and basic hustle and bustle with tourists visiting and residents chasing fish. August the weather starts to get wetter and a bit cooler, early run salmon are done but the silver fishing is still hot. Late August in the interior leaves start turning color. September tourists are gone, fishing is slowing down, leaves are turning color and the kids are back in school. Weather is hit and miss in September, you'll definately have rain but the storms seem to run through in waves with nice weather in between. Fishing is starting to dry up.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Any time from mid May to mid September is good. It really depends on what it is you want to do and see. If fishing is high on the list, you need to look at the timing of the runs so you'll be there for the peak of the salmon species you want to chase. Typically the best weather in the majority of the state is going to be the first two weeks of July, but weather is never typical. I told my brother that for his first trip, and he just came up for a few days over the 4th. It just so happened to be the summer with warmest driest weather on record, except for the time he was here wink

Here's a way to look at timing. Mid May we start to green up at sea level, later in May at higher elevations, weather is still on the cool side. June the salmon start showing up in the rivers in bulk, the weather is warmer but it can be a wet month. July is typically your warmest month, fishing is in high gear on the ocean and in the rivers and basic hustle and bustle with tourists visiting and residents chasing fish. August the weather starts to get wetter and a bit cooler, early run salmon are done but the silver fishing is still hot. Late August in the interior leaves start turning color. September tourists are gone, fishing is slowing down, leaves are turning color and the kids are back in school. Weather is hit and miss in September, you'll definitely have rain but the storms seem to run through in waves with nice weather in between. Fishing is starting to dry up.

+1.

#1. is bolded above
#2. Then decide where to go for that purpose
#3. Then decide timing

It's impossible to see all, do all, and visit all - even in a ifetime.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

That's for darn sure. I'm still discovering hiking trails and spots within an hour of my home and I've lived here almost 20 years. Doesn't even scratch the surface of what's available on the road system, let alone off the road system.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
As well as places that one can get to in the winter, but would be nigh-on impossible in the summer.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swamps are much more enjoyable when froze solid!

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It's my opinion that an RV rental is the way to go. Save on food, hotels, stay closer to the good stuff without worrying about anything! Alaska's different than any place else. Police typically won't harass you and run you off. Almost any pullout and gravel pit is fair game.

I'm partial to September here. Clear skies, spectacular vistas. I wish September was three months long....

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just don't hold me up in that RV! smile

Pull Over!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ironbender

hikerbum

This is the real truth. We have done 2 cruises and 2 CruiseTours and still feel we haven't seen much of Alaska.

Some of the highlights have been the train ride from Fairbanks to Seward with an overnight stop in Denali National Park. Glacier Bay National Park and Kenai Fjords National Park by boat were great. Sawyer Glacier was also an awesome sight. One of my favorite cities in Alaska is Sitka and you won't drive there as is the case with Juneau and Ketchikan. So, traveling by boat or ferry surely has its place. It boils down to deciding what you really want to see most.

But probably the best part of those trips were getting to know some of the folks on here. If you do go to Fairbanks be sure and look up Mr. 2legit2quit. wink Our time with him and his lovely wife were one of the highlights of all our times in the state.

Hope you make it happen because I know you will enjoy it.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wow Larry, what a kind thing to say! Thank you.

I'd say it was lucky for me the missus was home, ole ironbender will be along shortly to say that hanging out with me is not all it's cracked up to be! (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.