Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Ruger LCP and have been finding FMJ ammo for it hard to get, I have a box left from before everyone got afraid of Obama.

There is lots of hollow point around, but I am looking for the solid stuff for practice. Tests have shown that the .380 is not particularly powerful and the hollow points are stopping too short in the body cavities to effect the vital organs for defense. The FMJ will penetrate more for effect.

Why is the once common .380 FMJ so hard to find right now?

Last edited by HE112; 09/19/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The .380 pocket gun craze (that started in 2008) created a demand that has exceeded production for several years now.

Things were just starting to recover a year or so ago when Glock introduced their .380 pistol. That caused another spike in demand and the price went up and availability went down.

I've noticed that availability is starting to rebound but prices remain high; $17 a box for FMJ is a "good buy" these days.

I'm still shooting some I bought for $237 a thousand but they're dwindling fast.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HE112
I have a Ruger LCP and have been finding FMJ ammo for it hard to get, I have a box left from before everyone got afraid of Obama.

There is lots of hollow point around, but I am looking for the solid stuff for practice. Tests have shown that the .380 is not particularly powerful and the hollow points are stopping too short in the body cavities to effect the vital organs for defense. The FMJ will penetrate more for effect.

Why is the once common .380 FMJ so hard to find right now?
I don't know that the 380 FMJ is that hard to find, at least around here and I'm not sure your theory on stopping power is in any way correct. Also I will say, you need to at least give your gun a good wringing out with what you're going to carry in it...though it seems you're set on FMJ, that's not what I'd carry for self-defense.

That said, all 380 ammo was difficult to find at one point, then the shortage got solved. I don't remember what the excuse was at the time. I do know that the Kel-Tec guns are tremendously popular and they alone have increased the sales immensely. On the flipside, it could be that sales of 380 pistols themselves are down due to the proliferation of like-guns in the relatively same size range in 9mm. I don't think a lot of people shoot 380's for recreation much. So the demand may not be there.

When Seecamp came out with an excellent platform in 32 ACP which took the new Silvertip ammo which was touted by Evan Marshall as nearly as good as 380, sales of that ammo really took off. Then Seecamp and others came out with 380 platforms which were the same size as 32's. That about killed the 32. I doubt that is at work here, but maybe.

Then again maybe it's a government conspiracy against the 380. Maybe it doesn't work well against your typical white cracker.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 41magfan
The .380 pocket gun craze (that started in 2008) created a demand that has exceeded production for several years now.

Things were just starting to recover a year or so ago when Glock introduced their .380 pistol. That caused another spike in demand and the price went up and availability went down.

I've noticed that availability is starting to rebound but prices remain high; $17 a box for FMJ is a "good buy" these days.

I'm still shooting some I bought for $237 a thousand but they're dwindling fast.
I'm a notorious ammo hoarder but I gotta admit, if you've got use for a thousand 380's, you've got me trumped. That is hardcore.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably more and more people are realizing that the .380 rounds is great for self defense.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I think that it's the opposite of what some posters here postulate. We don't sell anywhere near the number of .380's as we used to. The mini 9's have taken over. The ammo companies have dropped back to making runs of 380 and converted some of the lines back to 9mm, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Probably more and more people are realizing that the .380 rounds is great for self defense.

I suspect that a lot of people who are not inclined to be burdened by a real gun as part of their daily activities see a 12 ounce .380 and figure they can work that into the stuff they carry around on a daily basis. Going from nothing to something is a major improvement for them.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In most of the country, the shelves are full of 9mm at $12 a box and .380's are non-existent or only available in limited numbers at inflated prices.

Why would a manufacturer be inclined to produce less .380 and more 9mm?

Last edited by 41magfan; 09/19/14.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I think that it's the opposite of what some posters here postulate. We don't sell anywhere near the number of .380's as we used to. The mini 9's have taken over. The ammo companies have dropped back to making runs of 380 and converted some of the lines back to 9mm, etc.
I think you're probably right.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plenty of Sellier and Bellieu (sp?) 380 around here, FMJ. If you need me to grab you some, PM me. For actual daily carry, I highly recommend the Buffalo Bore 100gr FNHC which is loaded to give 1125fps from my micro 380 (Kel Tec P3AT). Thier hollow point stuff is 250fps faster than most other 380 ammo as well.

NOTE: the Buff Bore 100's WAAAAY over-penetrate.... wink grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The ammo companies make a lot more profit on the premium hollow points. So the HP's get priority for manufacture over the economical FMJs. Not fair to those who own older high quality guns that often wont function with anything but FMJ ammunition: guns like Colt pocket models, Mauser HSC's, older Sauers etc. This is addition to responsible shooters who want economical practice with their defensive handguns.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna

a .380 beats a sharp stick, but not by much. It was designed for folks that want to feel good about having a gun, not caring how effective that gun might be. Or not be. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HE112

I was at Cabelas 3 weeks ago and got a box of .380 FMJ. Only problem was the price - $18 shocked
When Bush Jr. was the POTUS 380 was selling in the $8 - $10 range

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

a .380 beats a sharp stick, but not by much. It was designed for folks that want to feel good about having a gun, not caring how effective that gun might be. Or not be. laugh

Well at 3 to 5 feet which is where most self defense around here happens a .380 works just fine.

Now for you guys that live in war zones were a gun fight breaks out around every corner I'll readily admit I'd want something more potent like a M-4 sub machine gun (assault carbine) with a squad to back me up and CAS at my command.

Fortunately, for now at least, I live in a relatively safe community where a .380 is more than enough gun although I do like my .45 Auto because I shoot it so much.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Hotload

When Bush Jr. was the POTUS 380 was selling in the $8 - $10 range
Maybe Bush Sr. 380 has always cost more than 9mm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't remember .380's ever being much less than $9 a box.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot up a box of Federal .380 hardball from a stash that dates back to the early 80's and the Wal-Mart sticker on the box was $8.99. A box of PMC 90 gr HP's from the same period was marked $13.99.

I still have some 9mm hardball from that period that's marked $12.99, which is more than I pay for it now.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I don't remember .380's ever being much less than $9 a box.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot up a box of Federal .380 hardball from a stash that dates back to the early 80's and the Wal-Mart sticker on the box was $8.99. A box of PMC 90 gr HP's from the same period was marked $13.99.

I still have some 9mm hardball from that period that's marked $12.99, which is more than I pay for it now.
Federal and CCI Blazer FMJ's were $9.99 per 50 before the Obama inflation hit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been buying winchester hardball for $21/50 and various low rent others for ~$18/50 since I bought my .380 in May of this year.

I've been shooting 2 five round mags per week just to get acquainted with the little gun, a S&W Bodyguard...

I frequent 4 stores that carry ammo, and 3 of those consistently have .380 fmj on the shelf...
All 4 stores have the premium defense loads on hand...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Local Walmart has finally had some 380 in stock, they wanted $15/50 for steel cased Tula 2 weeks ago. Earlier this week, they had Federal red box for $20/50. I passed on both since we have a small supply left and the wife doesn't shoot a whole lot.

This was the first I had seen any here since we moved here in July last year.

Dale

This space for rent

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.