Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
oldshot Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Some of you helpful folk may remember helping me plan to go on an elk hunt this fall. Well, I developed the need for a knee replacement, so this year went down the tubes. Had a lot of time to research, found a few places offering guaranteed kills. Given the success rate of the other advertisers, this has to be some sort of gimmick. A friend, who knows less than I speculated that these were fenced areas where killing a cow or 'management bull' would be like hunting a milk cow in the back 40 and as such wouldn't be fair chase, or give the shooter any bragging rights at all.

Anyone ever visited one of these?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dove hunted a property like that last weekend. it was a 500 acre parcel here in TX.

they had ~4 bulls on 300 acres of mixed brush, bottom land and parks, all high fenced.

it was cool getting to see elk, but they werent particularly afraid of us. I drove to within 20 yards of them several times. So if its like that, then yes, it'd be just like hunting a cow in the back 40. Success could be guaranteed.

that said, if you have a bad knee and want an elk in the freezer, then thats a pretty guaranteed means of harvesting one.

In cost per pound terms, thats probably be best way to do it.... but if you're wanting a good story to tell about how the event unfolded.... this probably isnt the best means to get it.

"there I was, hanging out the window of the F150 with my trusty (insert any caliber between .218 Bee and 458 Lott), at a range of almost 23 yards.....as it stood with a mouthful of hay"

Bragging rights? not much.

Delicious steaks? sure, and plenty of em.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be just a ranch. Seen a number of them where they don't need a fence. I'm sure the advertiser will tell you.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
OTOH, elk are strange animals sometimes. I've actually been that close to authentic wild ones several times without them running. The season wasn't open, though, and they knew it better than I did. I think they can smell an arrow or gun from a mile away and they suddenly get a 'bit shy'.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.