Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Gallop poll says some of us think up to 51%. Washington Post says much less. Weigh in guys while I sit back and watch.
http://wapo.st/1uNFrW8

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
All of it.

^^^^This^^^^

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of it.

Really? 32 cents of every tax dollar is spent on the military and veterans benefits. You want to get rid of that?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every bit that doesn't go the the Department of Defense, and at least half that does.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
All of it.

Really? 32 cents of every tax dollar is spent on the military and veterans benefits. You want to get rid of that?

[Linked Image]

Excise taxes could and should cover that segment, as appropriate.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know actual numbers. But I'll say a lot. How many people work in the federal government that can't be fired? I'm not saying X needs to be fired, but I kind of like having that option or at least that threat.

Just off the top of my head on that chart looks like we're getting screwed on veterans benefits and education just as a start.

Last edited by NathanL; 09/19/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
KyWindageII: All of it - minus the portion of my federal tax that goes to the Defense Department (and tragically some of that is wasted as well!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Id say around 50% is wasted. Thats not counting the interest on the debt because defaulting on it would suck, but in a better run country we wouldn't be paying interest because we wouldn't have any substantial debt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A sch!tpot.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
KyWindageII: All of it - minus the portion of my federal tax that goes to the Defense Department (and tragically some of that is wasted as well!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

For once, I gotta agree with VG�.as long as the pentagon is buying $4000 hammers and $6000 toilet seats�I think a goodly portion of the defense end is being wasted.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Note that the poll covers state and local taxes as well. In Kentucky I suspect there is more abuse of tax dollars at those levels than anyone would suspect. Yet we reelect the same folks over and over.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One has only to walk around Capitol Hill here to see how much is getting wasted�or even something as simple as calling a state office.
Count how many state employees ( I refuse to call them workers..) are on duty at their desks�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The federal government has only 3 duties:
1. protect my borders (fail)
2. deliver my mail (fail)
3. stay out of my life (BIG TIME FAIL)

Any expenditures beyond those are wasted.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The bunch that illegitimately "sort" their way into some sort of disability across the board must be 20%, at least...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

For once, I gotta agree with VG�.as long as the pentagon is buying $4000 hammers and $6000 toilet seats�I think a goodly portion of the defense end is being wasted.

About right but don't exclude veterans' benefits.

There are a few other necessities, but it is fair to say there is a lot of waste throughout. Not the least in DC itself.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The DOD wastes huge amounts of money, I saw it all the time during my 10 years in the marine corps and that was before the current push for gays in the military. I can't imagine how much productivity is now being wasted from the endless diversity & tolerance classes that they're forced to sit through. Integrating women cost billions in lost productivity & wasted time, the cost for gays must be astronomical.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When government and big government lovers are choosing what constitutes waste, we'll never get an accurate picture.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most of it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would put it somewhere around 80% of discretionary funding. I mean, look at NASA. Most of us here would agree that their mission is noble, but I will bet a private company accomplish everything they could accomplish in 20% of the time, for 10% of the cost, with greater reliability. And SpaceX has done better than that....

In this neck of the woods, the government does "nuclear energy research". These are the engineers that loudly proclaimed that [bleep] could not possibly happen. OOPS. And what has 1,000 plus engineering types produced for the country in the last 30 years? Not a single lousy thing.

Administering government "benefits"? yeah, that's been a great succes...

edited to add: Fu-ko-shima got bleeped? Really?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.