Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yeah, I figure it was a Friday in Serbia. "Slivovitz for everyone!"

Actually, it isn't the end of the world, assuming the action is ok. The ultimate plan was for me to use that rifle for a few years hunting feral pigs, then (after saving a lot of pennies) send it off to someone to make Rigby or WR clone (something along the lines the WR in the picture). The current wood has a bit of figure in it, so hopefully it can be reshaped in the classic English style. But I was hoping to keep the barrel since it has a 1:866 twist and ought to handle those old round nose 175s pretty well, but there's not much that can be done about it if the chamber can't be cleaned up. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

That picture should come with a warning label!

Can make a fellow break out in a cold sweat laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

BP-B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yeah, I figure it was a Friday in Serbia. "Slivovitz for everyone!"

Actually, it isn't the end of the world, assuming the action is ok. The ultimate plan was for me to use that rifle for a few years hunting feral pigs, then (after saving a lot of pennies) send it off to someone to make Rigby or WR clone (something along the lines the WR in the picture). The current wood has a bit of figure in it, so hopefully it can be reshaped in the classic English style. But I was hoping to keep the barrel since it has a 1:866 twist and ought to handle those old round nose 175s pretty well, but there's not much that can be done about it if the chamber can't be cleaned up. I guess I'll find out in a few days.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

That picture should come with a warning label!

Can make a fellow break out in a cold sweat laugh

Mike

No kidding. This one as well:

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Respectfully,
We had to build our first rifle on a Zastava 98 Action at the Colorado School or Trades. I opted to build a .275 Rigby/7x57... In short my receiver was an adventure in tolerance stack and general half assed machining. I had to chuck the receiver up and re-cut the lug seats, which is a trick with a boring bar while trying to avoid hitting the C ring. At any rate I finally got it square and lapped the lugs into 90% contact. That said everything on those rifles almost made them an individual. Tried to fit the cocking piece so that it would work with a 3 position Recknagel Safety and then harden the contact surfaces before it galled. Never could get it to work to my satisfaction. Polished too far and went in search for a replacement. A buddy gave me a Nazi proof marked unit which dropped in, untouched, and started working like Darcy Echols fitted it. Complete luck... All in all the only thing I would suggest is to buy a better action to build into a later rifle on... This was in 05' well before Remington entered into the picture. In the end the Recknagel 3 position Safety & Kepplinger Two Stage Match Trigger are worth more than the rest of the rifle...imho & fwiw.

You might consider a Granite Mountain Arms 98 or a Hartmann & Weiss if you are looking for the best...

NRA Life Benefactor Member
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Matt:

The lease was a soaking, muddy mess this weekend so I never made it out to see how well the replacement shoots. I'll post a note when I do. We'll see. Until then I'll stick with my M70. It's slick, reliable, and accurate.

I would, though, like to get my mitts on one of those Westley Richards rifles. I just don't have an extra $30k laying around! whistle

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Free" is better. Usually.

If they are reputable, they will screw on a new barrel, test it, and he now has a little "custom" over assembly line.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yesterday I finally made it out to our lease. Between the rain and FPL replacing power poles - and using some of our roads to do so - the place has been an absolute mess. We haven't had rain in about a week, but you can probably imagine what almost 11 inches in September alone did to the property.

Anyway, yesterday I was finally able to shoot the Zastava Mauser. It shoots great. I put 14 rounds through it without a hitch, all shooting right at MOA with factory ammo (PRVI 139gr PSP). I'll settle for that since this rifle will probably never see anything over 200 yards.

K-Var of Las Vegas is the importer, and I really appreciate them standing behind the rifle. I didn't expect a replacement, especially one fitted into the stock I already had reworked (thanks Jim Kobe). I couldn't be happier.

Still holding out for one of those Westley Richards, though. grin

Mike

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.