24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know about a crazy scope comparison I just wrapped up. I spent 400+ hours on it (in my free time, which I realize is nuts), and the line-up and tests are built on advice from a ton of industry experts. It's a unprecedented, data-driven field test focused on the best long-range scopes money can buy.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

It's pretty original, so I thought there might be some guys on here interested in seeing it.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very strange to have a $1500 minimum. But I suppose if SWFA scopes had been tested they would have blown a bunch of the others out of the water.....

P
OP Offline
P
Just had to draw the line somewhere. Testing 18 scopes was already a few more than I was hoping, and if I would've went south of $1500 it would have exploded. I was originally thinking I'd do a 2nd test focused on $500-1500, since there are so many in that space. Maybe even $700-1500. I was careful to design all of the tests so they were 100% repeatable, which will allow results from subsequent tests to be directly comparable back to this original set.

After this one taking 400+ hours ... I'm not sure I'm up for another one, but we'll see. If people think this is a helpful approach, I might end up doing it. I'd obvious include one or two SWFA scopes in that 2nd test.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
PRB,

Thanks for doing this objective scope comparison. It's very informative and extremely well done. I hope you do more in the future.

LJB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Real interesting read. I'd love to see something like this done for hunting (non-tactical) scopes. Thanks for putting this together and sharing!

Eric

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of work put in there! Thanks for taking the time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job. Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'd love to see this expanded as well.

Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe I read the whole thing!

Very interesting, even though I'm not in the market for a tactical scope. Thank you.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Dutch
I can't believe I read the whole thing!

Very interesting, even though I'm not in the market for a tactical scope. Thank you.

Wow! I figured I might be the only one to read the whole thing! wink

It is REALLY long ... Much longer than the average internet attention span. But I just wanted the details to be there in case anyone wanted to drill down into them. And it lets people create there own scores based on the raw data. I know not everyone will agree with the benchmark weights I came up with. I'm a detailed guy (obviously), and I appreciate stuff like that. Glad you found it helpful.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You are a clueless pfhuqq talking out your ass. Hint.

You couldn't run fast enough to catch me,in order to hand me that NightFarce piece of pfhuqqing schit. It is a pfhuqqing joke. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

Hint.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxer

You couldn't run fast enough to catch me,in order to hand me that NightFarce piece of pfhuqqing schit. It is a pfhuqqing joke. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.

well that settles it! tml

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Impressive work, and very informative!
Thank you very much for sharing!

If you ever consider expanding it, I'd love to see more "portable" scopes included, like Leupold's VX6, Swaro's Z5, and Zeiss HD Conquest.

In the heavier chunky class of scopes I am curious on how the new Zeiss V8 would have performed. Hopefully better than their 6-24 Victory...

Alvaro

Last edited by BBerg; 09/21/14. Reason: spelling
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boxer

Hint.

Hahahaha!!!

Hey Cal, Boxer meant, "Welcome to the Campfire!".

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Welcome neighbor. Thanks for posting this study. NXS is as rich as I will go in this lifetime. Really like the one I have. A fellow up the road a short space shot a white-tail at one clean mile with an NXS down at Senneca Rocks WV.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very nice, I guess I will never be able to have a sniper rifle as I wont spend that much money on a rifle scope. Thanks for the nice review.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 5-25x56 S&B PMII.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very nicely done. Only real problem I see is that it is a sample of one.

I don't think my Bushnell Elite 6500 would have faired as well optically as the one you tested did!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Very nicely done. Only real problem I see is that it is a sample of one.

I don't think my Bushnell Elite 6500 would have faired as well optically as the one you tested did!

Yes sir. I'm with you. Maybe someone will do some testing with a larger sample size. It just wasn't feasible for me.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 5-25x56 S&B PMII.
dave

That is a good looking rig. I like the colors. It's different. Seems like most long-range guns are either solid black or some shade of tan (including most I own). The more I look at rifles, the more I appreciate a unique look.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.