Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am going to restock a recent remington 700 aquisition and I am torn between getting an HS Precision sporter or a Stocky's laminate with the aluminum bedding rail.

I am not so obsessed with light weight. Cannot or do not want to pay high price and wait for a Micky.

The B&C Alaskan is also rolling around in my head to.

Any advice appreciated.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Make sure you seal up your laminate stock well. I've repaired cracked laminated stocks, so it does happen... wink.. Even a cheap B&C will withstand the elements better than plywood....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
No doubt y'all get your fare share of rain up there too.

Thanks neighbor.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a pig of a rifle laminate can be pretty functional, but for a hunting rifle I'd say that they suck almost as much as wood and are heavier, to boot. I've never felt a HS that wasn't a club and that is being kind. The B&C isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but it's serviceable and easily the pick of the three you mentioned as possibilities

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Not being contankerous but I always liked the "club" ustility of the generic HS stock. Figured it was a poor man's micky. Never owned a micky or even seen one in person so I just don't get the fanaticism; but there must something to it.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BobW, I have two laminated stocks and three stocks from McMillan. Never had any trouble with the laminates, but I did seal them with wax after I free-floated the barrels.
The McMillan stocks are great, but they are pricey and I did wait 4 months to get the last one.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I'm not buying a McMillan then it is B&C for me. I can't think of a reason to spend more money on a HS and get less stock than a B&C, but obviously they stay in business so tastes vary.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not a huge fan of the B&C, but is your best option here.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I put a Boyds laminate on my 700 it completely changed the balance of the rifle,not for the better either

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BC Alaskan is your best option IMO. Bed it and run with it. Minor fitting might be needed but usually they drop in.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you're simply going to put a sort of okay stock on a 700, you'd be just as far ahead to leave the factory stock on it, if it's one of the newer model synthetics with the overmold panels. They are just as stiff as the HS/BC stuff, lighter, and have good ergos as they come.

If upgrading, then do a real upgrade, either to a Mickey or Brown.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have had 3 or 4 rifles mounted in HS stocks. Each of them shot accurately without bedding. Have been eyeballing a B&C Alaskan stock because: (a) I like the more open grip geometry, and (b) the published weight is 6 to 8 ounces less than a comparable HS stock.

Good luck with your project !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Sako AV 338 Win. Mag in a Sako laminate (decelerator pad added)that has held up well since I got it in 1987. I was pretty wet on Afognak, and several Quebec caribou trips , it survived almost three years in AK, it's traveled to RSA, Namibia, Botswana, Montana, Colorado and others. It's been attached to the wing of a Super Cub, in scabbards on horses, survived baggage handlers, pitched in the back of Otter's and Beavers, in the bottom of boats and dropped a time or two.

The stock shows a few gouges/dings, not bad for 27 years of use.

The stock has held up, the nice Sako bluing hasn't, the rifle was refinished and given a matte finish in 2000/2001.

For some odd reason that rifle has gotten heavier these past several years; one of these days I'll get a synthetic to take some of the weight off.

But as it's such a heavy beast I find myself using my CZ 550 LUX 9.3x62mm that I purchased in 2000 when I need something bigger than my 6.5x55, 308 or 30-06.

YMMV

Last edited by StarchedCover; 09/19/14. Reason: spelling

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might keep an eye open for a used Remmy Mountain Rifle laminated stock. I've put them on a couple of 700's. The profile results in about the lightest laminate you will find, and they fit me pretty well.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would wonder about them in high moisture conditions. I have a varmint rifle with a laminate stock. It was not completely free floated, so I sanded the bedding from under the cylinder of the barrel. My can of varnish was dried up, so I used Tru-oil instead. While I was at it, I used the Tru-oil along the entire barrel channel. Not too much, just what I often do with a regular walnut stock. A week later, the stock has swelled so much that there was considerable pressure along the barrel channel; certainly not floated as it had been! I fixed it with a dowel, sandpaper, and lots of elbow grease, and it's just fine now. But I'll never put anything but urethane varnish in the barrel channel of a laminate again! I assume the laminates that had the pores exposed soaked up that oil, and there I was.

Thus, I'd suspect that water could produce similar swelling of the laminate stock.

Last edited by 300_savage; 09/19/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My full custom and deadliest, killinest rifle in my whole collection is a wildcat 338 which uses 8mm RemMag (full length H&H magnum case, 90grs of gunpowder per trigger squeeze) sitting in a BOYDS JRS laminate stock which I had my gunsmith slim down a bunch. Now, it feels good and looks good to my eye. Best way to un "club" a stock is to have the grip area slimmed down to a circumference of 4-4.25 inches. Amazing how much that one little change affects a rifles feel.

After slimming it down there and through the forend, we re stained it in a dark black walnut color and then some sort of polymer, waterproof matte spray on wood finish inside and outside of the stock including the butt area where the Limbsaver recoil pad sits.

Now, it is THE rifle I reach for if I absolutely have to kill something and it is my most sought after loaner rifle. When I was taking hunters with me to Africa and Alaska this rifle was either the primary rifle or a loaner every time and did in fact get used by clients on several occasions to great effect. Last fall a young man in wet Oregon used it to take his first Elk. It has, like the other posters rifle mentioned above, been in Zodiacs, on Horses and super cubs tied to the wing strut while flying through rain and snow, Land Rovers and Land Cruisers in Africa, and carried as well as dropped many times. The properly treated and sealed laminate stock along with the Burris Posi Lock scope have been unmoveable, unshakeable and completely reliable tools for about 30 years now.

I do not like the looks, feel lack of panache', cool, style etc nor the unnatural noisyness of a synthetic stock.

Here is the aforementioned 340 Tyrannosaur rifle I am speaking of, nothing clunky or heavy or club like on this one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Every time I take it out to check the Zero before the hunting seasons come around it does this, no matter what kind of abuse it endured the previous year. FWIW, the barrel is Stainless Steel, action Chromeoly steel, all coated in Brownells bake on matte black teflon/Epoxy finish:

[Linked Image]

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Not being contankerous but I always liked the "club" ustility of the generic HS stock. Figured it was a poor man's micky. Never owned a micky or even seen one in person so I just don't get the fanaticism; but there must something to it.

Jfc..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Safariman...

NICE. Thanks for posting. You got me thinking now.

I might go your route. Do the limbsaver recoil pads come the right size for the Boyds? Or does it have to be trimmed to fit? Do you remember? HA! Long time ago... I'll call Boyds. For $92 it is an option that is hard to ignore.

Really nice rifle; thanks for posting and explaining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Robert White,

Thank you fir the kind words. I have had that rifle for many years and is one that I hope a grandson will appreciate owning some day. I have two grandsons that look like they will be big boys when full up so I think I will have some good homes for it to pick from. I have lots and lots of brass and ammo and bullets for it, enough for a strapping young man to use this rifle as a big game hunting rig for a decade or two after I am gone.

AFAIK, there is not a Limbsaver made to fit a Boyds stock. We (gunsmith and me) simply bought a nice thick, fat, soft Limbsaver and he shaped it at the same time he was re shaping the stock. That gunsmiths name is Rob Shell, and he lives near me and is still very much in the gunsmith game so if you want him to duplicate my riflestock etc. for you I am sure he can do it, and I would loan him my rifle to use as a pattern while he was at it if you wished him to.

Between the well shaped stock, Limbsaver recoil pad, and not too light but just right weight of the whole set up the rifle is not at all difficult to shoot well for me and others who have used it. And this is with 225gr TTSX's running 3100fps.

Feel free to contact me via PM and if you would like I will PM you my and Rob Shell (gunsmith who did this for me) phone numbers.

Looking forward to seeing your completed project!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,794 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.