-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys know of scopes that has long a enough eye relief so the hammer is cleared on a Contender Carbine? Then I can mount the barrel closer to the barrel, the ocular would be flush with the breach end of the barrel

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just can't say enough about the Leupold "Shorty" which is a 1.75-6X32mm that's been discontinued for some time. FyrePowrX introduced me to these scopes specifically for Contenders. Only problem is..., they're very hard to find. And when you do find one, they usually bring a premium. The eye relief is terrific and they're much brighter than the 20mm scopes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm unfamiliar with any scope that when mounted on a carbine barrel, the occular lense would clear the hammer. There certainly could be some out there but I'm not aware of them.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Red dot

...making America shoot straight again.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With most scopes you still can't go much lower due to the objective lens.

If you are having problems with your eye lining up, it's easier to raise the stock than lower the scope

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tracy,
Is it an ocular alignment issue or just a big thumb?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gemihur
Tracy,
Is it an ocular alignment issue or just a big thumb?

The thinking is to have a cleared ocular so there is not inferance when loading and clearance for the thumb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like a forward mounted base with adequate eye relief in scope would solve it for you. Col. Cooper's Scout rifle approach
I wasn't implying that you have a large thumb.
Your approach would enhance the use immensely, especially for follow-up.
Lemme know your solution when you arrive at it.
Thanks,
Jimmy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I Use higher rings and and a lace on cheekpiece w/a 6x36 Leupold-Muddy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When your talking scope height, a lot depends on your stock. 204 Ruger.
Doc
[Linked Image]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most of the TC bases are fairly short so you don't have a whole lot of flexibility in mounting position. Some of the ones that do require drilling and tapping 2 additional holes. A longer base like that gives you a lot more flexibility regarding scope mounting position.

I really liked the Virgin Valley aluminum bases but I think those have been discontinued. They still offer steel ... heavy. For a scope I used an old Weaver K2.5 on the .32 mag and .357 Maxi barrels. That was good. Years earlier I put a Leupold 2.5-8X on a 21" TC carbine in .17 Remington. That scope was always too far back and required some shooter contortions.

Anyways, I think whatever problems you run into are better addressed by changing to a longer base even if it means drilling additional holes.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A leupold 2.5x20 will do what you want. Mine just about clears the hammer.

I was looking to maximize eye relief on a 16.25" 375 jdj so I had an extra set of holes drilled and tapped to move the base forward. The scope is in low weaver rings on a mgm 6 hole base. I don't think there is a lower combination out there.

Circles
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If your barrel(s) are low recoiling cartridge users, you can shorten the stock an inch or so to compensate for eye relief. Many of the Leupold VX-2 scopes get close to the 5" ER mark, as does the 2.5. Bushnell makes an economy model low power variable that does 6". Nikon ha s a shotgun/muzzle loader item that is long. I don't think any of these will go flush with the breech, but will come close. My brain will not pull up the make and model, but I think someone makes a scout that works as close as 8-9." that would do it.

Good luck,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jt402
If your barrel(s) are low recoiling cartridge users, you can shorten the stock an inch or so to compensate for eye relief.

It's the other direction. The scope needs to be pushed forward or the stock lengthened.

With a TC carbine, I usually had the butt 2-4 inches off my shoulder so I could see through the scope. BAD habit to get into, "could" hurt going from a carbine length .32 H&R mag barrel to something like a lever action .45-70 with a crescent steel buttplate. Oh, you might think it is funny to WATCH the results but you don't want to experience them. At all. Ever. Don't ask how I know.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
T O M, I had an 1885 Traditional Hunter for a while. There was nothing fun about pulling the trigger on that one. On the other hand, checking the groups on the target was a pleasure.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
T O M, Leupold 1.5-4 IER is 6-6.90 ER. That might work.

Jack

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What was it? .45-70? .405?

if so, you don't even need binoculars to see the bullet holes at 100 yards.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Circles
A leupold 2.5x20 will do what you want. Mine just about clears the hammer.

I was looking to maximize eye relief on a 16.25" 375 jdj so I had an extra set of holes drilled and tapped to move the base forward. The scope is in low weaver rings on a mgm 6 hole base. I don't think there is a lower combination out there.

Could you post a pic? A leupold 2.5x20 would be a great scope set up like this on a contender

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
.45-70

Jack

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I installed a EGW bace and now have the scope moved forward and it clear the hammer, click on the link and take a look

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ope_for_a_Contender_Carbine_#Post9472011

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,732
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.