Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Would like to get some forum members opinions on these guns. How do they compare to the real deal Winny 71?

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've had both, the main difference was in the smoothness of the action. That's likely a function of both fit and finish and age and wear: the Win 71 was smooth, like a pre-64 M70; the Browning was smooth but less so, like a Winchester M70 Classic.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to own an original M71 and did a bit of research prior to reloading for it. One thing I learned was that the Browning copies had the rifling cut closer to the throat. Bear Tooth Bullets (I used them for cast bullets) made two different version of their 348 WIN bullets depending on whether you had the Winchester or the Browning rifle - the angle on the ogive was more extreme for the Browning built guns. All the Browning M71's I've ever seen were first class rifles - just check out the point I'm referring to prior to reloading.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks Odessa. Very good info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Odessa
I used to own an original M71 and did a bit of research prior to reloading for it. One thing I learned was that the Browning copies had the rifling cut closer to the throat. Bear Tooth Bullets (I used them for cast bullets) made two different version of their 348 WIN bullets depending on whether you had the Winchester or the Browning rifle - the angle on the ogive was more extreme for the Browning built guns. All the Browning M71's I've ever seen were first class rifles - just check out the point I'm referring to prior to reloading.

I have to agree with Odessa having owned both myself. I kept the Browning and it is very well made. The Japan on the barrel is a point of contention for some, but it never bothered me.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I looked for years for an original and stumbled upon an as new Browning Carbine with a pile of factory ammo and brass for $850 shipped. This a few years ago. I could not pass it up. I tore it down and did a bit of crocus here and there, the trigger was fine. It is glass smooth and IMO better assembled than the originals. Cycles great and shoots certainly as well as I can with open sights. Metal work is fine, wood to metal is fine... The Browning is a great bargain.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen that with some ammo in 20 round plastic storage containers. The price was well over $1000.

I have looked over Model 12s, Model 42s, 1895s, Model 52s by B.C. Miroku and can say there was no bad gun among them. All were excellent quality with more modern steel than original Winchester counterparts. They make guns for Browning sell O/U shotguns in Europe under their own name. Their custom shop stuff rivals old engraved FN Superposeds.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Dont get one. They aren't very accurate.

[Linked Image]

Just Kidding. Mine is a Carbine and those three shots are at 100 yards and a lyman peep sight. It is hands down the most comfortable carry rifle in my stable, and even with the curved steel butt plate it is a pleasure to shoot.

I have never shot or owned an original, but man is this Browning sweet. Trigger breaks at 4 pounds with zero creep. Fit and finish is superb!!

And the 348 is devastating on animals.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fit/finish is excellent and cartridge is kinda scary looking affair. If you don't mind carrying heavy cumbersome rifle you should be pleased with one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Brownings have metric threads and screw on barrel sight ramps, plus the Browning has some type of safety bar that prevents the trigger from operating unless the lever is in the fully up/closed position. Supposedly the method of attachment of the lever to the locking lugs was changed, but I don't have a Browning to compare to the Winchester. Maybe someone who owns both will chime in.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Clueless on any of the above but note that I have had zero issues with mine in any way. They are a steel and walnut bargain. Mine weighs 7 3/4# which is fine IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.