Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Frankly, I can't remember ever reading anything by Jack O'Connor in my formative years in the early 1970s, though I probably did, being a devotee of Outdoor Life. I do remember Elmer Keith's columns and Articles in Guns & Ammo. Keith's writing and his opinions were interesting, entertaining, and memorable for their color, but Keith's experiences seemed exotic and irrelevant to the hunting and shooting I did (and still do) in the Midwest.

I much enjoyed the writing of Skeeter Skelton, and still do enjoy that of Ken Warner, whose laid back, tolerant and philosophical attitude toward his subjects I greatly admire.

Last edited by Ploughman; 09/16/14.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken Warner is indeed a laid-back, tolerant, philosophical guy. Laughs at himself easily.

Nice guy. One of the best in the business. I've hunted with him several times and shared at least a few motel rooms with him.

I like him a lot as a person, as an editor, and as a writer.

He bought an article from me once that he never published � sent it back to me so that I could sell it to some other editor. Ne'er a mumblin' word about returning my fee.

A rare thing in this business � this is the only occurrence that I know of.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
moosemike, though I was disappointed when Jack O'Connor left OL (1972?), it didn't take me long to begin to appreciate Jim Carmichael's work. I found myself equally disappointed when he recently retired...after a longer run as shooting editor at OL than Mr. O'Connor! I also have Carmichael's book "The Modern Rifle" and wish he'd written more books.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try to read all that i can of all the writers that interest me.

The one that i really like is Ron Spoomer.
He shows everyone that without a sense of humor,it don't matter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try to read all that i can of all the writers that interest me.

The one that i really like is Ron Spoomer.
He shows everyone that without a sense of humor,it don't matter.

Double post!!!

Last edited by plainsman456; 09/16/14.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can't say that I was "influenced" so much by either writer, but I definitely agreed more with Keith than O'Conner based on my personal experiences. I grew up at a time when bullets were not as reliable as those we have today and hunted in areas that featured heavy brussh. A quick put-down and great blood trail was critical, so I learned early to trust heavy bullets and big bores more than velosity.

I always felt that if I'd grown up in the more open west where an animal could be seen after the shot, I might lean more to flat shooting faster rounds......but I didn't.

I also was more drawn to Keith and viewed him as a true "hunter" who could take game based on his talent and ability. O'Conner I always saw as a "dude" hunter who drank champaign with the local prince before having a guide do ther real work for him. He could, however, spin a good story and was a much more pollished writer than Keith.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I learned to read by Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, but to be honest, it didn't take long to figure out that most writers are writers...not experts in anything else. Pat McManus was my favorite.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I read them both extensively. I still pull out my copy of Keiths "Hell, I was there!" from time to time.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a time in my childhood when I knew what a .30-06 round and a .22 LR round looked like and that's about all I knew. I was reading some of my buddies dad's Outdoor Life mags and remember reading about a .270, which I'd never heard of. So in my childish ignorance I pictured the physical size of a .270 round as someplace about halfway between a 22LR and a .30-06; cause one's a 22 and the other's eight calibers bigger at 30. A year or so later I saw my first .270 and it totally blew my mind. I guess that experience could be called: "Birth of a Rifle Looney".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not me I found Craig B. Ross S. and I own John B. Here the ones I first read and still read.

Molan Labe
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
With all the comments on another thread, (mine included) I realized that I was not influenced by them, as my opinions were determined and set before I discovered them. In fact I never heard of Jack O'Connor until after he was dead.

My first read of his work was a publication put out by Guns and Ammo after his death. Prior to that, I never heard or read a single word of his and by then was already "closer" to his camp for general hunting, but also a leaning towards Elmer with a growing passion for larger bore rifles, albeit with larger doses of velocity than traditionally associated with bigger bores.

In my earlier days, Aussies were using mil-surp rifles and smaller caliber cartridges like the .222, .22/250 and .243 with a .270 considered a big rifle, a .30/06 quite rare unless you ventured into sambar country and Aussies tended to step up to the .375 and to a lesser degree the .458 for bigger game.

A door survey I conducted at an SCI convention many years back determined that the .338 handloaded with 250gn Partitions was by a long way, far ahead of anything else with international hunters.

Most Aussies tended to self determine their needs and only commonly read or agreed with reviews of what they were already using again, through self determination. If you covered "their" cartridge, they bought the magazine. It was commonly called "the flick test" but flipping through the pages on the news stand to "audition" the publication. The 1980's is where the US publications started to become more common and my generation was already an opinionated bunch by then.

Sounds about right.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

John,
My apologies for incorrect internet interpretation.(The dreaded iii Factor)
My opinions were set at the point of firstly discovering JO'C meaning were found to lean towards his view, secondly, you cannot be a "learned" or "well read" reader for something that is not available to read. We are after all, talking pre computer and internet stage.

And again, Because my experience with handloading and cartridges measure better by the wheel barrow load in consumables, it is an incorrect assumption to assume I am inflexible to learn after any point.

The internet teaches me both the value and detriments associated with was we assume, is communication.

John

Sounds fair, but by your explanation JOC had some degree of influence if only to add validation to your opinions.

Anyway just take a note from my playbook and error on the side of modesty. Such a tactic has served me well and I would bet not more than half the members here think I am a pompous ass. grin

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Burns you really ought to write a book perhaps named " Astonishing Tales of Bedding Blocks...."

If anyone could write that book it would be me.

John
Let me clarify and then I'll drop it.
1. I never heard on O'Connor until that G& A publication after his death.
2. Most of the cartidges in that publication, I had already used.
3. I had formed some opinion of them through that first hand experience.
4. By coincidence, I read that he had similar views to mine based on his experience.

It is as simple as that and there was no pomposity stated or implied by myself though we are back that that internet interpretation again.
JW

Three replies, that has torn it...now burns will send you a selfie!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AMRA
Not me I found Craig B. Ross S. and I own John B. Here the ones I first read and still read.

same here but as i said in an earlier post at 32 im one of the younger guys here and those three are some of the ones that were writing when i started paying attention

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Aus..,

I am thinking of building a new custom rifle so decided to go 'back to basics' and re-read two of JO'Cs books just last week. It was a surprise to learn everything I hold to be true about modern rifles came from O'Connor. And it's just as true today.

Elmer Keith's opinions on buffalo rifles, double rifles and handguns was spot on because by 1935 their development was pretty much done. And that's where Elmer stopped learning. Not trashing Elmer, I've been a .44 fan all my life mostly because of him.

But around 1935 is where O'Connor picked up the thread of the modern rifle and never looked back. Some of his writing is a little dated but by and large his stuff is going to remain current until we are shooting ray guns.

O

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
If you read something for the first time and find it aligns with your own views, I fail to see how that is considered an influence. It simply means 2 people traveled their own road and ended up in the same town.
The 2 learning's and opinions are mutually exclusive in the pure sense.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not have access to gun rags in my youth. By the time I started looking for shooting mags, Jim Carmichael was writing a rifle cartridge column in Outdoor Life.

I read and studied Carmichael's words. I even clipped his monthly column and kept the pages in a binder for a couple years. Carmichael's are the only books I have purchased on this subject.

His writing influenced me to purchase a 22-250, a 25-06, a 264 Win, and eventually a 260 Rem.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Aus..,

My dad was a follower of JO'C. Outdoor Life was the only mag that came to our house in those days (1950's). I was just a kid so I didn't have any basis for an opinion. So when I reread my O'Connor books for the first time in years, I was surprised at how much I had been influenced.

O

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm 32, and I learned about Keith from John Taffin and about O'Connor from John Barsness. I've never liked O'Connor as a writer but I've enjoyed Keith. I think both are very out of date, as one would expect from men who have been dead for thirty years and whose most productive and creative years were more than a half century ago. I read them for entertainment and in that they still excel.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never paid attention to either of them. P.O. Ackley was more my style.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I was not influenced at all by Jack or Elmer.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.