Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
Seems like a lot of people get uptight on prices of whatever. I guess I'm odd man out. Doesn't matter who is selling it or why. To me it's either worth what I'm offering or not. Really don't care what someone else is offering or whatever. I'll offer up to what I feel like spending and what it is worth to me at the time, then stop.

same here....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't even go to auctions anymore. Friend thinks I'm nuts (he loves going to auctions) but it's been a very long time since I wound up paying 3 times what something was worth.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Funniest auction story I ever witnessed was a gallon of Roundup about twenty years ago.

I saw a guy bid that gallon up to almost two hundred bucks before he won the bid. As he walked past me with his prize I noticed the label said "Lawn and Garden". It was prediluted and ready to spray.

At the time I was paying $37/gallon for super concentrate out of the bulk drum at work.

The guy actually had about a buck worth of chemical in his jug.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have sat and watched dumbasses bid guns up to twice their worth at auctions. i usually end up going home with some shovels, chains or other stuff rather than guns. last gun i bought was a ruger ss convertible for $175. the others were outrageous. $350 870 expresses, $600 700's, etc. i don't know how the ss slipped through the cracks. i kept it for a few months and sold it for $300.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just like the 22 ammo price gougers, if your wallet stays in your pocket, you can't get gouged.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
in my scenario, it wasnt a family auction for the guns. i put estate auction but it was an auction where a semi truck garage closed down and everyone was still living. and i thing the guns were consignment. but when a guy who own the gun who consgned it is there bidding on it there is no justice in that. if thats the case there needs to be a reserve. not someone bidding up their own gun against you. im pretty sure he had several guns in the acution becuz i seen him bidding more than once also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Possibly he had put them up for collateral and that was his only way to get them back?
If it was clear to all involved that the owners are bidding, fine, but otherwise it seems like a scam to push the payout.
But that does give you the option to bid it up and dump it on him.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I sure do not understand the stance against capitalism on a conservative message board!

I hear folks bitching about local farm equipment auctions where the auction house bids on the equipment. Then the auction house puts the equipment on their own sales lot or sells it again later at a different auction.

What's the big deal. If the house thinks they can make more money buying the gun, tractor, etc, good for them. This is America, still, in some ways.

And if the previous owner thinks it is in his best interest to bid on an auction item, so be it. He is the one paying the auctioneer. One sees that happen all the time at livestock auctions.

Personally, I try to hold a pretty good poker face when I bid at an auction. I know what the item or critter is worth to me, and I know how high I will bid it up. If someone tries to bid against me just to raise my price.......they better be ready to buy the item, because I will definitely drop it on them.

It is easy to read the exited smile vs the frown on the other bidder's face when I fail to make the next bid.

The house has a 20% advantage over their customers.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (7mm_Loco, 2500HD, Anaconda, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 8 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,120
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.