Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just purchased a 24' trailer and am researching heaters that require no electricity, such as radiant/catalytics. I have very narrow wall spaces available to mount to, maybe 10" wide, but would love a permanently mounted unit if possible. The best/largest wall spaces have obstacles in front of them like the slideout, or the bed.
Would like to be able to keep the trailer from freezing while I travel, so a portable unit would have to be shut off and stored or secured to the floor for travel, and I don't like the idea of a propane hose laying around the living area. I might be stuck with a portable and a hose though considering the lack of wall space to mount to.
I'm sure a bunch of guys have solved this problem already, so what'd you guys figure out? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/20/14.

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Catalytics work great but they have a big drawback - water. I have one in my 20' camper. If kept running for long periods of time, you'll have water running down the windows. On a hunt a few years ago, it was so cold that we had to keep it running during the day to keep the water from freezing. After 3 or 4 days of steady burning, our matches were too damp to strike and we had ice on the insides of all the windows. All of our clothes and bedding felt damp, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whatever you find, please get a CO detector, and keep it new! It seems like every year, some hunter dies in a CO incident with a camper/heater situation.

With the new electronics, there is no reason not to get a CO monitor.

take care and best of luck!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Catalytics work great but they have a big drawback - water. I have one in my 20' camper. If kept running for long periods of time, you'll have water running down the windows. On a hunt a few years ago, it was so cold that we had to keep it running during the day to keep the water from freezing. After 3 or 4 days of steady burning, our matches were too damp to strike and we had ice on the insides of all the windows. All of our clothes and bedding felt damp, too.

Did you have any windows cracked?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
whatever you find, please get a CO detector, and keep it new! It seems like every year, some hunter dies in a CO incident with a camper/heater situation.

With the new electronics, there is no reason not to get a CO monitor.

take care and best of luck!

Sycamore

Agreed.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yup. It can still happen, but an open window will greatly reduce it. Learned that lesson the hard way myself.

Personally, I wouldn't mount any heater to the wall. Fire chances are too great.

I'll run my fridge while driving (still not recommended by manufacturer) but that's it. And only the fridge runs when I'm not in it. Seen the aftermath of guys wanting to keep their rig warm while away.

I basically deal with a cold trailer. Water bottles in a cooler without ice will prevent freezing (inside the trailer) if it was at room temp when you left it. To quickly heat a trailer when I return, I turn on the heater and a couple stove burners for several minutes. That seems to do it. Usually want to heat up dinner or coffee anyway.

Coldest I hunt in is low teens though. Lower than that, I don't know if my solution works. You can always fill the empty space of the cooler with towels. That helps

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yup. I won't run any propane device without it. Normally the byproducts of burning propane are water and CO2. However, if it burns incompletely, like without enough air, some of the exhaust will be CO instead of CO2. Nasty stuff.
When it's cold and snowy, like in our case, the humidity in the air won't allow the ventilation to remove enough water to keep the camper dry.

Back to the OP question: How about a Buddy Heater? For traveling, it can be run on 16oz cylinders so a hose isn't a problem. Strap it to a table leg or something.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I used a buddy heater last year, and had the same issue with dampness, ice on the insides of the windows, etc.

Fireball, I know you said no electricity, but this year I'm going to try a small genny, a 50' extension cord, and a ceramic heater, or maybe a oil filled portable radiator, or both. I don't mind cold, but I hate damp.

PS: +1 on the CO detector.

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the single can and dual can buddy heaters

Even on the half setting, I can only get about 3 hours out of a single cannister.

Changing the cannister out in the middle of the night when you're half asleep is a pain the butt

that said, for camping its definitely the easiest way to go, but if I was in a camper, I'd figure out some way to hook into the gas lines the feed the stove

Of course you could find a camper furnace used on craigslist - I would have figured a 24' enclosed camper would have one anyways and set it up to where you can run it off two propane tanks that ride on the camper tongue. That would get you several days of uninterrupted heat.

Now that I think of it , I guess the camper furnace has a fan that runs off of 12v battery.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/21/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just purchased a 24' trailer and am researching heaters that require no electricity, such as radiant/catalytics. I have very narrow wall spaces available to mount to, maybe 10" wide, but would love a permanently mounted unit if possible. The best/largest wall spaces have obstacles in front of them like the slideout, or the bed.
Would like to be able to keep the trailer from freezing while I travel, so a portable unit would have to be shut off and stored or secured to the floor for travel, and I don't like the idea of a propane hose laying around the living area. I might be stuck with a portable and a hose though considering the lack of wall space to mount to.
I'm sure a bunch of guys have solved this problem already, so what'd you guys figure out? Thanks for the help.

Please give us some more info. No 12V? Does it have a furnace of some kind, working or not? Forced air maybe?

― George Orwell

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago i towed my trailer up in the woods a few days early to hunt season, and went home. Didn't notice i had nudged the themostat, and i really don't use the heater, so didn't pay attention. Till i went back up and found i had no battery from the fan running.
in the 20 years i have had the trailer, used the heater maybe twice.
running a couple of burners on the stove, or one of those little coleman portable heaters for a few minutes has always worked. I always have a window open, mainly cause i like it, but also because of co concerns.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would still get a portable like a Mr Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater, has safety features like tip over and low oxygen shut off and you can use in other situations power failure at home or heating a garage or crawl space.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the ideas. The trailer is a 2005 Keystone Zeppelin. You can see the problem with a lack of wall space for a heater.

[Linked Image]

It has a propane furnace, which is directly under the oven. Furnaces eat batteries and hover between 30-50% loss of heat from your propane. By comparison, some catalytics are 99.9% efficient.

I had a mouse in the trailer when I bought it and he loved the oven and furnace. I spent days disassembling and cleaning, and replaced all the air ducts. At this time, I have a 1000 watt Honda inverter for charging batteries and haven't tried to run the furnace with it, so don't know if it's an option to run that all night to keep the furnace going.

No table leg to tie a heater to, but it's no problem to create stability for a heater if needed while traveling.

I had another 1996 trailer with a then new catalytic mounted to a wall. The problem is, the walls on RV's are (usually) 1/8" material, so it pulled off while driving and nearly burned the trailer to the ground. No tip over shut off on that heater! Anything mounted to the wall will need to be reinforced.

My problem is I have narrow wall spaces available. If I had the width, I'd reinforce the wall and mount one permanent, done deal. I read about one that mentioned floor mount, but gave no details. I don't trust manufacturers to provide the best hardware for mounting. I'd rather engineer my own solution that I KNOW will work!

I do have a large chunk of wall available in one spot, but it's overhung by a countertop, where presumably you could sit at the bar to eat. I'd have to shield the underside of that countertop from the heat, and I'm not crazy about that idea. It's right next to the gas lines too, so it'd be a snap to mount there, just to the right of the entry door.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/21/14.

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Go with a small oil filled and small gen. I about went broke last year buying propane to heat a 26 ft trailer. WE were using a 20 pound tank a day. went to town and got a oil filled radiator problem solved, only used a couple of gal of gas per day and kept the trailer at 70.

Originally Posted by RogueHunter

I used a buddy heater last year, and had the same issue with dampness, ice on the insides of the windows, etc.

Fireball, I know you said no electricity, but this year I'm going to try a small genny, a 50' extension cord, and a ceramic heater, or maybe a oil filled portable radiator, or both. I don't mind cold, but I hate damp.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My catalytic is radiant heat. It heats objects, not the air. If it was mounted under the counter next to the door, it would nicely heat the bathroom door but the rest of the camper would be cold.

My partner's camper has a forced air furnace and 2 batteries. It can go a week without recharging the batteries although we only run it at night.

― George Orwell

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 27ft Arctic Fox, and when I leave the trailer to hunt
I leave the heat main heater on 55-60 degrees. That keeps
the interior of the trailer warm and also blows hot air to the
sealed underbelly to keep the tanks from freezing. If I,m
not plugged in to another power source, I charge my golf
cart batteries when I get back in from hunting. Heating
systems do kill batteries.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by 338rcm; 09/21/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

Go with a small oil filled and small gen. I about went broke last year buying propane to heat a 26 ft trailer. WE were using a 20 pound tank a day. went to town and got a oil filled radiator problem solved, only used a couple of gal of gas per day and kept the trailer at 70.

That's what I'm thinking. I already have the Honda EU2000i, so a Delonghi oil filled radiator or something like this would be the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-HMP1...mp;keywords=delonghi+oil-filled+radiator

Fireball - any problem with running a small genny at camp? Many uses, that's for sure.

Last edited by RogueHunter; 09/21/14. Reason: sp

- Rogue
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan

That's what I'm thinking. I already have the Honda EU2000i, so a Delonghi oil filled radiator or something like this would be the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-HMP1...mp;keywords=delonghi+oil-filled+radiator

Fireball - any problem with running a small genny at camp? Many uses, that's for sure.

Might as well run the furnace if you have to use a generator

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,669
Posts18,399,403
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.